Hysteria - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hysteria Reviews

February 6, 2015
From Hammer, who around this time made a series of psychological thrillers, to try and get away from the gothic horrors they were becoming renowned for. This one was directed by Freddie Francis, (Paranoiac (1963), The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)) and produced and written by Hammer veteran Jimmy Sangster. It's a very stylish and compelling thriller, done with panache. It has American Chris Smith (Robert Webber) who was found on the side of the road after a bad car accident, and is suffering a nasty case of amnesia. He has been having sessions with Dr. Keller (Anthony Newlands) to try and see if he can remember anything, but with no luck. Chris only has one clue, a photograph of model Denise James (Lelia Goldoni), but private investigator Hemmings (Maurice Denham) is having no luck finding her. But a mysterious benefactor has given Chris a luxury penthouse apartment to live in, although Chris seems to be hearing noises coming from next door, even though the flat next door is unoccupied and derelict... It's a good thriller, and it does have a very jazzy flavour to it, it's a different kind of Hammer film, and their thrillers certainly had more style. However, Hammer have blood on display in this one, and a few cheeky references to Psycho (1960) along the way. But this manages to be complex and a very engaging film.
March 19, 2012
One of the best comedy I ever saw! and it comes from a true story! The plot is about the invention of the vibrator but the story is never vulgar, on the contrary, it's very intelligent and ironic. The cast is perfect assembled and the dialogues are coerent and interesting. I almost didn't recognize Rupert Everett... maybe did he used some plastic surgeon?
January 31, 2012
Quite an enjoyable film that starts off as a naughty comedy but ends up dealing with the rights of women. The romantic side of the story felt a little forced and formulated.
½ September 15, 2011
really enjoyable film, great twists. I had a lot of fun deciphering it.
September 7, 2011
One of Hammer's last black & white "mini-Hitchcock's" and by this stage the format is recognisable, the difference is that this time it's an American male who is being plotted against. Neverheless this is a good suspenser and well worth a watch. The film is stolen by the wonderful Maurice Denham's down-at-heel British private eye.
½ April 10, 2011
I've seen bettery 'mystery' movies.
½ June 25, 2008
I actually really enjoyed this movie. Its black & white and the story line is really complex with twists & turns along the way. Excellent story line & this gay looking movie poster does not do it justice. I wish there were more movies like this one.
June 3, 2008
This is definitely worth a watch if you can catch it on TCM, or can find a cleaned up dvd version. It doesn't have the electricity of a Hitchcock but does come close because the actors are excellent and the twist in the story is (1) difficult to guess (2) makes sense rather than being tacked on at end. RW, the lead, is rarely a leading man but does an excellent job and his "benefactor" is such good eye candy. For folks with patience and love for good film, even in B&W and a bit of dated slang you won't be disappointed.
June 1, 2008
Great movie -- What a thriller! It had me at the end and then it shocked me! I had no idea the ending would be what it was.