Hysterical - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hysterical Reviews

February 7, 2015
I remember liking this movie when I saw it once when I was around 8 years old and now realize that it was probably a good way to waste an afternoon. Looking back, I think it was corny and childish.
March 11, 2013
September 14, 2011
welcome to the town of hellview!
May 25, 2011
Classic campy horror comedy from the mid 80's. Very funny. The Hudson Brothers deliver. You're doomed!!
May 12, 2010
½ August 3, 2009
For those of you who have bagged this movie, I would like to quote Ralph...

"You're Doomed.... Definitely doomed."

and to quote Dracula "Boys, don't be in such a rush..."

In other words... "What difference does it make"

Only fans will echo my sentiments.

Cheers, Ross.
June 5, 2009
Most people I know hate this movie, but I just can't stop laughing long enough to chastise them. Yes there are some slow parts, I know, but I'm a sucker for ultra corny comedy and this movie has that. The parody of JAWS is hilarious and there are plenty of quotes spread thoughout the movie. Take it for what it is, a ridiculous horror parody, and enjoy>
½ February 8, 2009
Loved this as a kid and still have the original release on VHS. Silly and juvenille at times but Richard Kier is great as Capt Howdy. "What difference does it make?" Think this can answer just about any question.
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
October 21, 2008
B-movie horror spoofs at their finest and silliest.
October 20, 2008
I LOVE this movie!!! But trying to explain it to the masses can be daunting. Even my husband doesn't get it.
moviefan1725
½ October 8, 2008
Long before the Wayans brothers dragged the horror spoof genre through the gutter with their Scary Movie series, The Hudson Brothers wrote and starred in this little gem that spoofs every horror movie from Jaws to The Exorcist. When a novelist retreats to sleepy little Hellview to recharge his writing batteries, he becomes immersed in a 100 year old mystery involving a haunted lighthouse, and the discovery of the long dead lighthouse keeper, Captain James Howdy. The townsfolk call in two inept...whoops, I mean intrepid adventurers, Dr. Paul Baton and Fritz, to investigate what it all means. When the corpse of Captain Howdy returns to life, he begins killing townspeople, turning them in to turtleneck wearing zombies who say only "What difference does it make?" It's all tied in to the spirit that inhabits the light in the lighthouse. Completely non-sensical, cheesy, and juevenille, it's also inexplicably entertaining. Set on the Oregon coast, the movie does contain a certain cool atmosphere that adds to the movies charm. A lot of well known character actors make the most of their small roles, including Murray Hamilton, spoofing his own role of the town mayor from Jaws. As usual, he refuses to close the beaches. Watch for John Larroquette in a small role as the worlds worst tour boat guide, Bob X. Cursion. Other genre character actors include Richard "Jaws" Kiel, Julie "Catwoman" Newmar, Franklyn Ajaye, and Cindy Pickett. Parodies of Dracula, Jaws, The Exorcist, Friday the 13th, Night Of The Living Dead, and countless others abound, culminating in a dancing zombie musical number. Not a gut busting laugh riot, but incredibly charming, and undeniably fun. I don't think the movie ever got a theatrical release. It's one of those movies I discovered long ago on cable, thinking I was the only one who ever saw it. Over the years I've met many others who have the same "Oh yeah, I remember that movie! I love that movie!" moment of recognition when I mention it. A cult movie if there ever was one.
½ July 21, 2008
My friend Rene said it best: "A Julie Newmar movie where you only see her from the neck UP?"

All the decisions for this film were as good as that one -- meaning not at all.
½ June 29, 2008
Wacky movie. I really liked it when I was young. Saw it again a few years ago, and it lost some of it's appeal.
½ June 27, 2008
Guilty pleasure. This is a silly spoof on popular 80's horror movies. Loved how you can only tell a ghost or zombie if they wore a turtleneck sweater.
June 22, 2008
"What Difference Does it Make"

I loved watching this movie as a kid with my dad and sister. It just makes me laugh out loud.
June 20, 2008
One of the most underrated comedies of the 80's
May 15, 2008
La precursora de la saga Scary Movie. Recomendable!!
March 25, 2008
The Hudson Brothers at their best. The movie lives up to its title.
March 23, 2008
Remember the Hudson Brothers? That wacky comedy team that follows in the footsteps of the Marx Bros? Don't worry, no on does.
Still, I loved it when I was a kid, especially "The Hop" scene. I would really love to see this one again.