I Like Killing Flies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Like Killing Flies Reviews

½ May 18, 2014
Netflix 5/18/14
Kenny is a businessman, philosopher, social critic and world class chef. He makes some unique and outstanding dishes while waxing poetic about family, customers and politics.
August 17, 2013
You get the feeling that this documentary started out as one thing and turned into another. The reason it's so good is because Kenny Shopsin is such a fascinating individual. This is a documentary lover's documentary.
February 26, 2013
One of the best low-budget docs I've seen. Kenny is a fascinating character.
February 6, 2013
A entertaining look at a eccentric New York restaurant owner and chef Kenny Sopsin. Not shy on giving his 2 cents worth on any topic, Kenny can either warm your heart or get on you last nerve.
January 10, 2013
One of the most heart felt, honest, and delicious documentaries I have ever seen. I Like Killing Flies dives deep into Greenwich Village's most eccentric restaurant ever, Shopsin's. Kenny Shopsin and his radical, but perfectly rational "no rules (except for one) apply here" attitude have attracted faithful and curious customers for over 35+ years. But now Eve and Kenny Shopsin face a political direction that forces them to move shop and face the adversities of turning over a new leaf.
½ November 10, 2012
A well made documentary it isn't but it doesn't need to be. The proof is in the pudding. You can't take your eyes off of Shopsin, he's spewing his philosophy and cooking his concoctions like their is no tomorrow.
Tired of Previews
June 7, 2012
Documentary time: I Like Killing Flies.

If you don't care for a restaurant owner who curses at you, questions why you didn't like his food (by sometimes eating what you did not) or tells you CANNOT seat more than 4 people, and if you try you will get thrown out - FOR LIFE, you might not want to watch the documentary: I Like Killing Flies. But if you are like me, someone who likes curmudgeons, really good food and a unique atmosphere - then watch the documentary as soon as possible!

Now I don't review documentaries like I do the fictional movies so I am not going to give this any rating except to say after watching this one I wanted to book a flight to New York City ASAP!!

This is about Kenny Shopsin and family and their New York eatery. It has been there for years and by the looks of it not cleaned a lot over those years. But I didn't mind that. It was the philosophy of Kenny Shopsin, cook and owner, that had me totally fascinated. He has his own unique way of how he sees life, how a restaurant should be run and if you don't agree him then you can GO F#%* YOURSELF! Really, that is how he talks to his customers. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time and after watching this film you will probably see what I saw: A man dedicated to the best meal he can cook for you. Nothing else matters!

Now you are thinking how can he get away with being so rude to customers? Well, one reason: THE FOOD! I will admit I have not eaten there and after watching I really, really want to (and I will abide by all his rules - trust me) but we got his cookbook and followed a few of his techniques. He's a genius! Plus, in his crass way he is usually right. No, I wouldn't want to be yelled at by him but I really want to go and see how great this food really is in real life.

I thoroughly enjoyed his philosophies throughout the documentary. It really made me think. But there were a few in his cookbook which we bought right after seeing the film: Eat Me: The Food Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin - that had me howling with laughter.

There is one in particular that I so enjoyed: On Not Allowing Special Requests. Here is a segment from his cookbook: "Some people tell me that they're deathly allergic to something and that I have to make sure it's not in their food. I kick them out. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's life-or-death situation. I tell them they should go eat at a hospital."

You also have to see his menu - there is a copy of it in the cookbook and they show it in the documentary. It is truly an amazing menu. Trust me!
May 19, 2012
I was astonished and amazed that I actually ended up liking this loud, crass, intelligent, vulgar, eccentric, introspective, witty, rude, kind, compassionate, abrasive, grimy, restaurant owner...
May 10, 2012
What a truly remarkable documentary, I always knew the "soup nazi" was based on a real person, at a real restaurant, but had never come across this movie. Not at all what I was expecting. Anyone who gives this a bad review is just a moron. Don't listen to them and give this man and his family his du...read moree and watch this. What truly impressed me was that for such a supposedly uncompromising man, his insights into life, and the meaning of it, are impressive. I only wish I could experience his restaurant someday.
April 13, 2012
Not a perfect documentary, but an interesting and often funny view into the life of a New York food legend.
March 27, 2012
One of the best documentaries I've seen. It's unconventional, at times crazy and touching throughout. Kenny Shopsin is the man.
January 16, 2012
I've been meaning to go to Shopsin's since moving to NYC, but still haven't made it. Interesting that famed music video director Matt Mahurin directed this *after* some of his most visually stunning videos were ten years old ... the production values are terrible here, but the movie is worth watching. It's a shame his second location didn't work out, as now he's crammed the restaurant into a cubicle at Essex Street Market.
January 5, 2012
This is an awesome documentary on one of NYC's oddest eateries. Great Film. This guy is classic.
½ January 1, 2012
Interesting movie about a real NY greasy spoon. Saw it because my brother got me their cookbook for Christmas.
November 1, 2011
An unorganized documentary that luckily, is funny enough to keep from suffering too much from the poor editing. Entertaining, but pretty pointless. Sure one could derive any number of meanings from it, but that's true with anything, and I refuse to believe anything was intentional here. This doc is just a big quirk, and that's fine.
½ August 20, 2011
I'd try the food.....good doc.
July 30, 2011
As a documentary head, I love how this movie captured all the personalty from Kenny Shopsins shop. This movie captures the soul, and the beautiful thing that Shopsins has. From discussing how certain food is created, to how and why he treats people the way he does. This film has it all except one of Kenny Shopsins meals it self.

If you're ever in NYC, catch this movie and then catch a bite to eat. As a native New yorker, Shopsins is one of my favorite restaurants. This documentary is up there as well.

Carol walks in... "didn't you watch this already?"
I respond... "THIS MOVIE IS THE TRUTH!!!"
½ July 6, 2011
Funny and honest point of view. I loved it.
June 22, 2011
Illegal, immoral & fattening, ie perfectly delicious!