I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown Reviews

½ December 26, 2014
another enjoyable animated story from the Peanuts gang as we Rerun van pelt wanting a dog of his own for Christmas
August 5, 2014
(First and only full viewing - In my mid-twenties)
December 23, 2013
I love the story is based on rerun
September 25, 2013
Pretty good and funny I like Charlie Brown a lot a 85% by A
December 31, 2012
Very cute. But pretty slow i'd have to say for a kids film.
GRADE:B+
½ December 20, 2012
(3 1/2 Stars) I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown isn't really a bad Peanuts special, but it's not all that noteworthy. It doesn't feel like it tries to one-up the original A Charlie Brown Christmas, but this is mostly because there's barely anything to do with Christmas and there's not a strong message. It seems like a lot of setups (some funny, some meh) involving Rerun that just happen to take place around Christmas because.... um, look a Christmas tree! Despite all this, I still like it. If you like Peanuts, I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown is an okay special, but don't expect a classic like A Charlie Brown Christmas (or even Halloween, Easter, or Thanksgiving).
December 2, 2012
I love the Peanuts and I loved this.
½ October 20, 2012
This was pretty hilarious. Rerun is so adorable.
November 30, 2011
One more part of the massive Peanuts holiday collection, 'I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown' is the "little brother" to the more well known "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown". As enjoyable as it is, it lacks the heart of the original Peanuts holiday standards. While it may not be at the level of the original Peanuts holiday classics, the newest edition of this warm, family friendly special--released to dvd in 2009--is more a modern classic than a standard classic. It includes an insightful look into the use of Rerun Van Pelt and another Peanuts tv special, "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown". The included bonus feature helps viewers to better appreciate this lesser known of the Peanuts holiday specials.

"I Want A Dog For Christmas" is the runt of the Peanuts holiday specials, much like Rerun Van Pelt was the runt of the Van Pelt family. The use of such a minor character is likely the primary reason that this holiday special is lesser known than its predecessor. It's essentially another Peanuts special about a boy and his dog; just not the boy and his dog that most people would normally think of. Linus and Lucy's little brother wants a dog so bad that be basically begs Charlie Brown for Snoopy. He even offered to buy Snoopy from Charlie Brown. Rather than Snoopy, Rerun ends up with one of Snoopy's brother, in Spike. Like Rerun, Spike is a far lesser known member of the Peanuts pantheon. The story is one that audiences of all ages can appreciate. Pets are a standard pet for the holidays. But the problem is that the story doesn't necessarily focus on the core Peanuts cast. They are in the story. But they--even Charlie Brown--are more supporting cast, than primary. This is the kind of thing that dooms episodes of some television shows, too. The most recent dvd release makes up for that with bonus features that add at least a little bit of enjoyment to the overall viewing experience.

The featurette, "Sibling Rivalry: Growing Up Van Pelt" is an insightful look into Charles Schulz's use (and lack thereof) of Rerun Van Pelt. Explanations from Schulz's widow, and friends helps viewers to better understand, and appreciate this lesser known character, and equally lesser known holiday special. It is interesting to see how easily Peanuts fans could confuse Rerun with his older brother, Linus, because of something as simple as the brothers' attire. What's most interesting in this featurette is mention of the belief that Schulz used Rerun to mirror himself. This somewhat contradicts the belief that in fact, Charlie Brown was a mirror of Schulz.

"I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" isn't exactly the most memorable of the Peanuts holiday specials. It is, though, still a fun, family friendly special. It's also a wonderful example of the importance of bonus features on dvd's. If not for the bonus features included in the presentation, it might not have been as enjoyable as it is. That's not to say that it's a terrible special. It is, in fact, enjoyable. It could be argued that because of how recent it is, it's a modern classic. Given time, it might become a standard in its own right. But until then, it will continue to pale in comparison to the truer holiday standard, "A Charlie Brown Christmas".
October 10, 2011
not interested ..... not something i usually watch
October 10, 2011
I'll stick with the old one, Charlie Brown.
½ January 10, 2011
So cute and funny! Linus steals the show!
November 22, 2010
It's pretty good for a new Charlie Brown film and I love how we get to see the lesser character Rerun in a starring role. It doesn't quite have the magic of earlier shorts, but is a pleasure to watch. The music is great.
November 11, 2010
Quite enjoyable among the Peanuts series. Rerun wants to have a dog for christmas but mum wouldn't allow it. Showing his ride on mum bicycle, Spike came to visit Snoopy for christmas. Lucy saw how thin he is and feed him up and he grown fat. Spike have to go back and bid farewell.
½ December 29, 2009
This 40-minute TV special tells the story of Rerun, Linus and Lucy's very cute younger brother (I loved the scenes with him stuck on the back of his mother's bicycle). As the smallest child he feels left out of playing around with the other kids and wishes for a dog for Xmas. He starts a great friendship with Snoopy but Charlie Brown is reluctant to let him go. I felt so sorry for Rerun. He's just so desperate for attention, to be taken seriously. He's got a lot of love inside him and needs a best friend to let it all out. Jimmy Bennett's voice acting is spot-on and makes him so real.

It's all harmless fun, if not completely indisposable. I've made it a Xmas tradition already as well as the other seasonal Charlie Brown specials.
November 26, 2009
Charlie Brown! =) I love this classic cartoon and I love the music.
May 25, 2009
Re-Run is soooooooo cute! :)
May 6, 2009
I love all Peanuts!!!!
March 27, 2009
A definet Christmas Classic for all ages!
½ December 29, 2008
A charming little romp, this post-Schulz cartoon fares much better than say, "It's the Pied Piper, Charlie Brown," which is enough to make one want to die. This one returns to the strips, where the best Peanuts humor and stories can be found, and focuses on Rerun, who just might be my favorite character. Doesn't carry the weight of the original "Charlie Brown Christmas" but no special since than has!