I Am Because We Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Because We Are Reviews

November 24, 2017
UBUNTU is not only for Linux lovers. I think Madonna should've marketed it this way. Her father is B.S. in Physics, and was an engineer after all. Great movie that wasn't big enough.
November 1, 2013
'I Am Because We Are' (2008) is a spellbinding look at into the challenging lives of Malawi orphans. Despite its upsetting qualities, this is a documentary worth watching. It can possibly change the way you see our urbanized lifestyle.
December 31, 2012
This is a very worthy documentary, I think clearly for years Madonna has supported charities without banging the drum for her own purpose, here is no exception, its a real climps into Hiv
September 26, 2012
When you hear things it's one thing... but when you see it you realize how much you didn't know. I'm sure that movie was a very light version of what's really going on there. Sad.
August 15, 2011
Madonna'nin metinlerini yazdigi ve seslendirdigi bu belgeseli herkes izlemeli..!
½ August 13, 2011
Searing examination of the crisis in Malawi, if less impressive in suggesting solutions. Still, this is a well-made film and, contrary to general assumption, no ego trip for Madonna.
January 15, 2011
Great informative documentary. I loved it cuz it was about the children and not Madonna
December 18, 2010
This movie is a blessing and shows a reflection of Madonna's heart.
½ August 29, 2010
Eye-opening, heartbreaking, powerful, difficult, and triumphant. You need to see... "I am because we are."
June 22, 2010
A raw and eye opening documentary about Malawi, Africa. It shows the viscious cycle of how poverty causes sickness and illness; sickness and illness causes poverty.
April 8, 2010
Madonna attempts to bring attention to some horrible things happening in Malawi. I think it could have been more emotional to get people wrapped up to really take notice of what's going on.
March 16, 2010
'I Am Because We Are' is Madonna's 2008 documentary film (2005-2007) about the ravages of poverty, AIDS and lack of education in the African nation of Malawi. The film includes subtitles, as well as English speaking audio, in addition to color and even some grainy black and white video clips. 'I Am Because We Are' is interesting and even shocking at times (the story of the little boy who was assualted while walking through farm fields will make you cringe), but none of the information is new or presented in a manner that is engaging or energizes the audience to pursue the cause further. The beautiful faces and the spirits of the people of Malawi is what stands out and leaves an impression; the message of connection between us all, the community that is the human race and how we touch one another's lives. We are nothing without the other: I Am Because We Are.
January 4, 2010
I cried the entire movie. Everybody should watch this movie.
January 2, 2010
The best documentary I have ever seen. A protrayal of the conditions of the second poorest country in the world and noone will help them WTF!

A Must See for all those with a heart!
December 13, 2009
A movie about Malawi ... yes indeed but this truth is available for all Africa. Tradition confronted to illness & poverty, lack of leader and so on. I saw an almost identical documentary about Swaziland in which Aids expanded due to tradition (polygamy) & worst, it was encouraged by their king. This is a quite intelligent & interesting documentary despite of a little excess regarding some footages about the rest of the world's problems (mainly war footage). Look a bit the M. Moore way of doing. A quite optimistic vision despite of the overall context & give the key of what to do. Not devastating as many people said, I'll lived in Gabon & Zambia, that's part of their reality so I was not surprised by some impressive scenes. There are many great interviews with ground peoples who work to improve things & permit us to hope the best. I was particularly impressed by M. Chikoanda's interview ... and Africa need of more of such guy.
½ July 25, 2009
Amazing! I didn't wanna see this, mostly because I expected yet another depressive documentary about starving kids... But this one is much better then that
June 3, 2009
It is a sad thing that most documentaries people see about different countries in Africa are those which emphasize the poverty and harsh realities of that particular country. This film was no exception to that, focusing on the HIV/AIDS prevalence of the country of Malawi, but it did however bring along with it a different face - hope.

Truly powerful and inspiring, this film brought me to tears. Though the devastating truths shown in this film are (sadly) normal occurrences, I love the message that we are all truly connected as one and that despite whatever hardships and trials we face, there is no law saying that we still cannot carry a smile on our faces and persevere through it all. The dichotomy and the paradox of seeing a seemingly hopeless scene yet so full of hope is to say the least moving and uplifting. This movie is tragic, yet undeniably beautiful and amazing.
½ May 14, 2009
Unfortunately it is not just in Malawi
April 8, 2009
i think everyone should take a moment & watch it!!!!