I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story Reviews

• Nov 20, 2017

although it does run a bit long, this biography about Carrol Spinney, the artist who plays Big Bird on Sesame Street is quite an amazing effort. We see how the creation evolved in the many decades Spinney has portrayed him. But really we didn't need to know every nook and cranny about his life.

• May 18, 2017

Big Bird is indeed a kid's cultural icon but who the hell knows the man in the bright cadmium yellow suit? Well, this is quite a pleasant-natured documentary on that man from his beginnings as a struggling puppeteer to the global recognition he is the recipient of through Big Bird and his other iconic Sesame Street character Oscar the grouch.

• Mar 26, 2017

Loved this. Carroll Spinney is such a kind man & his wife seems amazing too :). A great movie.

• Jan 28, 2017

This was a delightful journey!! Learned that Caroll was Big Bird as well as Oscar The Grouch!

• Dec 06, 2016

A fact-filled documentary with the lovable bird (& the person behind the bird) sharing information. Had a little bit of a TV documentary feel to it (lots of still pictures over the storytelling), but was well paced and seems to have covered it all.

• Oct 01, 2016

A beautiful & touching documentary about the man behind the puppet of the eternal Big Bird from Sesame Street. Carol Spinny was a beautiful blend of a physical genius & truly a child at heart. His heart for the role & children & dedication to the character is truly inspiring. His personal life was rather tragic & there is incredible footage of Big Bird coming to grips with his friend dying is so relevant to his own struggles. I was surprisingly quite moved by this film & you truly take for granted the man behind Big Bird. Filled with great footage of Sesame Street & Carol's personal life.

• Aug 28, 2016

Wonderfully heartwarming, I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story captures four decades of Spinney's affection and love for both muppets and children. Though a bit melancholy bordering on sappy, I Am Big Bird demonstrates Spinney's pure artistry, personal integrity, and how a sorrowful childhood can result in a bountifully flourishing adulthood. As an aside, it was lovely to see a married couple so focused on each other's greater good. Overall, a touching, if not maudlin, nostalgic, and enjoyable documentary.

• Aug 14, 2016

An interesting look at the man beneath the Big Bird costume. Not surprisingly, he's a good and gentle person. Lots of nostalgia, we also get a look at Spinney and his interesting friendship with Jim Henson.

• Jul 09, 2016

Over sentimental. The smaltzy background music is loud, obtrusive and ceaseless. Pity because even though I never watched Sesame Street, I love some aspects of fantasy and as a former teacher I am interested in the educational side to the TV program. This doco is for fans of Sesame Street only because as a stand-alone documentary it doesn't make it. You won't see much actual footage from the show however. Could only watch until the second tour to China. Makes me want to find out more of Jim Henson actually. Hope Caroll and his wife got to tick Paul McCartney off their bucket list of celebrities!

• Feb 08, 2016