I Am Not A Hipster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not A Hipster Reviews

½ November 9, 2015
It's a damn shame this film was overlooked upon release... better than Llewyn Davis and Short Term 12
March 11, 2015
Beautiful music and beautiful performances.
½ October 10, 2014
Meh. He was such a hipster.
August 7, 2014
Destin Cretton knows how to work with actors. The primary cast of I Am Not a Hipster is captivating enough save the film from utter mediocrity and elevate it into the category of watchable character study. Yet, a distinct lack of originality on a script level prevents the film from being particularly memorable. The soundtrack, however, is excellent and there are moments sprinkled throughout that hint at Cretton's potential as a director (which would later be realized with Short Term 12).
March 21, 2014
In which not a lot happens and Dominic Bogart plays an incredibly believable narcissist. It's a movie of moments, a lot of lovely moments. It is earnest in its execution, but, as a movie, it feels incomplete.
February 27, 2014
Overall, a good indie film which only appeals to artsy fans.
½ February 9, 2014
It succeeds at times in spite of itself, though it ultimately adds up to less than the sum of its sometimes impressive, sometimes insufferable parts.
January 31, 2014
I am not a hipster [2013] How come Dominic Bogart isn't popular? 6/10
½ January 11, 2014
what a beautiful movie this was...and indeed the guy is certainly not a hipster...he is an artist,a brother,a son,a friend,an a-hole most of the time,with a good intention though,and that intention is to be happy.the music is really good too.
November 21, 2013
Don't let the title fool you. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a really long time. Absolutely beautiful.
½ November 19, 2013
I enjoyed this very much. Netflix it.
½ June 17, 2013
Breakthrough from a depressed state after the loss of his mother an indie rocker seethes musically while numb, until his sisters surprise him with a visit to spread their mothers ashes and let go of the pain. I found it moving and absolutely loved the soundtrack....
½ June 15, 2013
Although the pacing is slow and a bit lackluster throughout the film, there are some great concepts discussed depicting a recently successful artist that is unsure about his success and the lack of desire to move forward, and these scenes are the ones that captivated my interest.
March 2, 2013
This is a solid Indie movie. Dominic Bogart gives a performance to remember in this drama about an up-and-coming Indie rock musician whose way of grieving after his mother's death is by making music. It is funny, sad, deep, and warm-hearted.
January 17, 2013
A really good indie film well worth a watch for anyone really.
½ December 31, 2012
It can be truly said that the title is somewhat misleading. The movie is more of a bare bones character study of a disenchanted young musician who searches for meaning in his life.
December 23, 2012
Aka, Hipster: The Movie.
June 8, 2012
Affecting view of an unhappy artist who must come to terms with grief and anger. The artist's music plays perfect counterpoint to his strong performance.

Director Destin Cretton creates a semi-autobiographical story which Dominic Bogart brings to life. The use of the Hipster persona is both a source of acclaim for the main character and a shield of anger and disdain to avoid connection with others. Too raw to be just a send-up of the culture, this tale shows that we should let go of inconsequential things, not vilify them.

However, the character is pretty unrelenting on himself with his constant brooding. The ability to like this character wanes even as his likability increases due to the arrival of his sisters. For some viewers, we see the "why" of his resentment too late, for others just barely in time to make the movie amazing.
½ April 29, 2012
A well-made, moving, indie drama that blends music and film into a perfect mix of soul-searching entertainment.
February 23, 2012
I enjoyed the movie and either myself or both critics Dennis Harvey and Nathan Rabin missed the point. Actually I should say Rabin missed it completely and Harvey kinda, maybe, sorta got it when he alludes to "a certain dramatic payoff" that is achieved when we discover why the family is reunited. Rabin just sees a flick about a protagonist who is mainly just a glowering, unpleasant, insufferably obnoxious douchebag and an enemy of fun. How old are these guys. Have either of them ever been depressed and confused (especially those years between 18 and 30 -maybe 62 for some of us). It was a pretty crazy ride for me and the teen & young adult suicide rate show it is for quite a few young people. And what is this "dramatic payoff" that Harvey only alludes to and Rabin doesn't even feel the need to mention (no wonder he neva likeum). We finally learn that this surly, obnoxious guy is not only dealing with the growing pains of young adulthood thrown in with a mix of success in an industry built on creating "stars" and "the special people" when you certainly don't feel very special. Most of us can only guess at how this would feel but we certainly see the wrecked lives of many of these "special people". But how about a little elaboration on "the dramatic payoff" Harvey? Rabin can't because he totally missed it. This young man lost the love of his life 2 years ago. We are shown little snippets of a mother who was the glowing beam of love that gushed over the whole family (she was also the strongest as the father admits to his son). Where does Rabin think these sisters got there 'relentlessly upbeat attitude" from. Certainly not from the father although he is a somewhat mysterious but interesting figure also. This is, among other things, to me a love story about how a family deals with the loss of a loving and very much loved mother. Anybody besides me ever had one or know one? Maybe Rabin and Harvey never did. I guess mostly it's how Brook deals with this loss thrown into the crazy mix of being young, being successful in a field that likes to create idols and living in a world that can cause any thoughtful person to examine their purpose for living (the radio announcer that would not leave her post during the tidal wave). I'm not sure what movie these guys were watching but I give "I am Not a Hipster" a two thumbs up! I am also Destin's father so their is the possibility of some bias on my part.