I Am Not Your Negro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not Your Negro Reviews

November 25, 2017
Superb film. Makes amazing points on race.
November 16, 2017
Regardless of where you stand on the issue of race in the United States, something we can all agree on is there is something wrong here. The first thing I would tell you is to watch this movie, then watch it again, and without denying your place in the issue just listen to what it states. Those of you that know me can confirm I am not racist. Please watch this with an open mind to understand that you may have never seen or heard anything that remotely qualifies as the true about racism in our country. Although there is only one race on Earth, we have been told to believe that more than one exists. This movie answers the question of why. Please share to educate the ignorant because we can only move forward when we know where we have been.
½ October 29, 2017
GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 29, 2017
Absolutely brilliant
October 25, 2017
Black history IS American history. This documentary is an important message that 'how far we've come' is nearly far enough and I urge everyone to watch this. The inclusion of the topic of minorities in Hollywood films is a perspective I had never considered before and is an important reminder that racism runs deep.
October 14, 2017
Very good film archive footage I had never seen before bolstered by Baldwin's eloquent writings and speeches. An encumbered intellectual documentary at times, but definitely worth watching.
October 1, 2017
Enlightening for anyone wondering what the NFL kneeling protest is really about
September 9, 2017
This movie came out at the perfect time and it brings up a lot of racial issues that I've never seen explored in films.
½ September 4, 2017
Boooooooooring. So, so boring. A subject I care about, in a package that no one can stay awake throughout.
September 4, 2017
Quintessential and it sure will resonate till the human race would exist !
August 28, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

Angry polemic manuscript, which Peck builds a searing documentary around. It's powerful stuff. There's probably an expectation that you know the MLK, X and Evers' stories; but it's an excellent take on the US and race.
½ August 15, 2017
Strong, beautiful, hard to watch. There's way too much to discuss in pondering this film but it is something to cherish especially in recent times. This is the sort of material that is required by education systems and people of all colors to watch.
July 31, 2017
I found this intermittently interesting but I was left scratching my head a bit at how universally lauded it seems to have been. James Baldwin is a really interesting figure and I imagine his book may be a good read but I'm not 100% sure it translated to the documentary format myself.
July 30, 2017
Baldwin did not just write about "race" - he wrote about morality and humanity. Similarly, this documentary is not just about Baldwin - it is about society and justice and so much more. No talking heads this time. Just the words of a gifted thinker/writer, images from every corner of this nation, and one of the most beautiful/powerful documentaries I have ever seen. This is documentary as art form. Must. See.
½ July 24, 2017
7/24/17 Amazon Prime

James Baldwin was an intelligent, insightful and articulate man who described the world of race in America with depth and perception. This movie certainly did an admirable job of presenting his views and it should make everyone who watches it think. However, like so many presentations it is one sided and does little to explain the reasons for all the ills in the black community, short of blaming white America only. It would be interesting to see a more balanced view of the problems we face with race.
July 21, 2017
History is not told through the voice of James Baldwin, nor is it seen through his eyes or felt through his shared pain. History is exposed for what it is, an unfortunate Ever-Living testiment to a human condition. I know this to be true because it was like looking into a reflective pond.
½ July 20, 2017
Interesting look at the historical roots of segregation and the political apparatus that perpetuates our racial tensions. I think it would be interesting to compare our racial issues/tensions to other countries issues. Just to give us a sense of we are not the worst country in the world and not alone in trying to deal with these issues that spring up from the idea of otherness.
July 17, 2017
An Eye opener. It's not just about race but its something deeper within.
July 16, 2017
Everyone should see it. Especially white liberals and white conservatives. Clarence Page said of James Baldwin: Baldwin's essays never stopped articulating the anger and frustration felt by real-life black Americans with more clarity and style than any other writer of his generation. This film is as relevant now as it was during Baldwin's life. Those who doubt his impact should consider that the FBI file on him ran to 1,884 pages. Clearly white America was terrified of him, yet he had white friends and advocated for reconciliation. This movie is hard to watch. It made me uncomfortable and angry. I can only imagine how it affects African Americans who see it. It is a fitting tribute to a great man, and one of our greatest writers.
½ July 16, 2017
Se consideran el mejor pais del mundo pero tienen un pasado bien negro