I Am Not Your Negro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not Your Negro Reviews

March 5, 2018
Great time capsule of James Baldwin who went to Paris to heal his bruised psyche by the USA. He was a writer and argued with passion about the trouble with his co-citizens. The WASP invader still hangs on today.
March 4, 2018
Outstanding movie. Poignant and pointed. James Baldwin's narrative with the images from America's history and popular media creates a message that cannot be ignored. A must-see for anyone who resides in America. We must heed Baldwin's words, and until we do, we will continue to face the racial issues that we do not want to admit.
February 22, 2018
A searing indictment of racism in America, a problem which, it seems, has not been cured but either diluted or transfigured. James Baldwin makes a great central character, not only experiencing prejudice himself but also noting the effects it had on his close friends and fellow activists, of which he was the only one not to pay with his life. He was a great orator and made many thought-provoking statements on discrimination, delivered in an almost jittery, nervous manner. Fitting, since he may have thought of himself as being in the crosshairs like his late associates. It doesn't outstay its welcome, and while it jumps around a bit too much, it's still a fascinating watch for anyone trying to understand the racial divide in a county that was founded on multiculturalism.
½ February 12, 2018

This is hands down one of the best documentaries in the 2010s. 2016 was probably one of the best years for documentaries in a long while, and "I am Not Your Negro" certainly is part of the cream of the crop.

While I agree with the Academy's decision in selecting "The Story of O.J." as Best Documentary, "I am Not Your Negro" excels at the tying together the 1960s struggle for civil rights and the 2010s struggle to end police brutality. See clips online does not do this film justice.

Now, let's talk about the elephant in the room: White Comfort. This motif throughout the documentary is shining a light on who truly benefits from racial divisions, the powerful who only care about profits and their own security. James Baldwin doesn't absolve whites who oppress their fellow humans, but he articulates, mostly through Samuel L. Jackson, that he does not hate white people. He is not out "for blood", but rather calls for white people to truly inspect themselves, to be honest with themselves and to recognize, first and foremost, that there is a problem.

The ending was absolutely stunning and powerful, and I think if Mr. Baldwin were alive today to see his legacy through this lens, he would be proud.

Please see this film, challenge yourself, and see that we, and we only, can end these divisions.
February 3, 2018
Rather impactful... and tragic to see how it seems little has changed in the US.
January 28, 2018
samuel jackson - THE WORLDS WORST ACTOR
½ December 17, 2017
great essay from a great man, great piece of history still in shaping.
November 25, 2017
Superb film. Makes amazing points on race.
November 16, 2017
Regardless of where you stand on the issue of race in the United States, something we can all agree on is there is something wrong here. The first thing I would tell you is to watch this movie, then watch it again, and without denying your place in the issue just listen to what it states. Those of you that know me can confirm I am not racist. Please watch this with an open mind to understand that you may have never seen or heard anything that remotely qualifies as the true about racism in our country. Although there is only one race on Earth, we have been told to believe that more than one exists. This movie answers the question of why. Please share to educate the ignorant because we can only move forward when we know where we have been.
½ October 29, 2017
October 29, 2017
Absolutely brilliant
October 25, 2017
Black history IS American history. This documentary is an important message that 'how far we've come' is nearly far enough and I urge everyone to watch this. The inclusion of the topic of minorities in Hollywood films is a perspective I had never considered before and is an important reminder that racism runs deep.
October 14, 2017
Very good film archive footage I had never seen before bolstered by Baldwin's eloquent writings and speeches. An encumbered intellectual documentary at times, but definitely worth watching.
October 1, 2017
Enlightening for anyone wondering what the NFL kneeling protest is really about
September 9, 2017
This movie came out at the perfect time and it brings up a lot of racial issues that I've never seen explored in films.
½ September 4, 2017
Boooooooooring. So, so boring. A subject I care about, in a package that no one can stay awake throughout.
September 4, 2017
Quintessential and it sure will resonate till the human race would exist !
August 28, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

Angry polemic manuscript, which Peck builds a searing documentary around. It's powerful stuff. There's probably an expectation that you know the MLK, X and Evers' stories; but it's an excellent take on the US and race.
½ August 15, 2017
Strong, beautiful, hard to watch. There's way too much to discuss in pondering this film but it is something to cherish especially in recent times. This is the sort of material that is required by education systems and people of all colors to watch.
July 31, 2017
I found this intermittently interesting but I was left scratching my head a bit at how universally lauded it seems to have been. James Baldwin is a really interesting figure and I imagine his book may be a good read but I'm not 100% sure it translated to the documentary format myself.