I Am Not Your Negro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not Your Negro Reviews

June 21, 2017
A striking and powerful documentary that tells a very important story. Very good directing and powerful writing are what helps make this a very good movie. There are some problems, such as pacing and a tendency to use random stock footage of cars or rain. Apart from that this is a very good and powerful documentary. B+
½ June 18, 2017
While it certainly brings up a hard spot in American history and begs to keep it in our mind, I am not your negro unfortunately feels more like a history lecture than a film.
Grade: C
½ June 16, 2017
I Am Not Your Negro is a blast of angry poetic air that is important, withering and extremely timely. James Baldwin was one of last century's most important writers and this powerful documentary uses his words to brilliant effect. Baldwin was working on a book about his times with Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Medgar Evers at the time of his death. Unfinished, the producers managed to gain access to his words which are narrated by Samuel L. Jackson over images of Baldwin and the times he lived in. There are snippets of Baldwin public speaking and appearances on talk shows to boost the drama of his words. It all comes together with devastating effect, providing illumination on Baldwin's recollections and also his thoughts on race relations. Baldwin was an important figure alive and his words live on to be just as important in today's world.
½ June 15, 2017
It might not have any light element that can smooth its violence to be more applicable for some audiences, but it doesn't matter because it needed to be honestly violent, tuff and worrisome. "I Am Not Your Negro" is deliciously slow, regularly informative, interesting and important. Samuel L. Jackson nailed it as the narrator and James Baldwin is one of the most fascinating social critics of the 20th Century. It is not every day that documentaries like this one appear.
½ June 14, 2017
Pretty Amazing mix of baldwins words, historical footage and media clips to bring the subject of race and America to our ears.
June 10, 2017
Phenomenal documentary. Extremely thought provoking!
June 8, 2017
I am not your Negro brings James Baldwin's vision of modern America and how we come far as human beings for better or worse
June 5, 2017
I Am Not Your Negro after thoughts: a strong message ahead of its time, adding the powerfully narration of Samuel L Jackson! Lots images & emotions invoked throughout this film that pressed me to reflect in my Faith & my country, and see just a glimpse of James Baldwin's writings & speeches. This film was not easy to watch but felt the importance & significance of it. So many historical pictures & images played such crucial elements to this story. When I heard James Baldwin during his speeches, he not only captured his audience but mine as well. Not must but CHALLENGE YOU TO WATCH! ???????????????? of 5 (4 of 5)
½ June 5, 2017
Es una lástima que no fuese mejor porque las opiniones de James Baldwin, las grabaciones, las entrevistas, son geniales pero el documental esta mal montado y termina aburriendo.
June 3, 2017
Thirty years has passed since James Baldwin began writing his book about race relations in the United States. When you strip down to the surface of America in 2017, as country things haven't really changed since Baldwin began his unfinished project.
½ May 31, 2017
No. Political nonsense.
May 29, 2017
Great movie. The interview of the director done by Marc Maron is actually pretty good too.
½ May 28, 2017
A no-holds-barred, biography-style documentary based around writer James Baldwin's unfinished manuscript for a book about the deaths of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. A must see for those interested in the civil rights movement via the African American point of view.
½ May 23, 2017
A meditative look at race relations from the insightful and eloquent James Baldwin.
May 19, 2017
Is this that interesting, essentially the points are one's people have made many times before. Doesn't really add anything putting this on the big screen, the most overrated piece of work this year.
May 19, 2017
This is a fascinating documentary that focuses on what was left of James Baldwin last book and turns it into a remarkable film. It is focused on three black activists (including Martin Luther King and Malcolm X) who were all killed in the 60s. It's a fascinating kaleidoscope of thoughts and ideas, philosophies and and a reflection on the society of the time and the stories it was telling itself and how we behave and the power of words. I found it remarkable. I'm currently watching "0J: made in America" which might be one of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen (even better than this film) and it is interesting to compare that film with the ideas presented here. James Baldwin is a remarkable writer, both gay and black, which must've been a difficult. And Samuel L Jackson gives one of his greatest performances ever and he's just the narrator but he is spot on.
May 16, 2017
"someone once said to me that the people in general cannot bear much reality. He meant by this that they prefer fantasy to a truthful recreation of their experience. People have quite enough reality to bear by simply getting through their lives raising their children dealing with the eternal conundrums of birth, taxes, and death.".... Our history is not our past but our present.

I like to watch movies like these to remind myself how far or lack there of, of how far we have come. Things appear different but they are not. They are the same but we tell ourselves otherwise. This is one problem, and there are so many more, Many problems that existed 2000 years ago still remain. They just appear different.
½ May 14, 2017
Baldwin's always been a figure of fascination for me and Peck's intriguing portrait only deepens my appreciation of the man. That so much of what he had to say is still relevant speaks to this country's deep failings.
May 14, 2017
James Baldwin's words narrated by Samuel L. Jackson, featuring loads of archival footage from The Civil Rights Movement and snippets of interviews, while at the same time, drawing a parallel to contemporary America. a very important film. well done!