I Am Not Your Negro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not Your Negro Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
If I could give it a zero I would. Pure racist propaganda, most Americans aren't smart enough to see it. News flash! Every race of people has been mistreated in history, yet only in modern day America do we still hold onto the past in order to play the victim that we never were simply to get attention and unequal benefits like bias job preference, free education, and an excuse to call anyone a racist who doesn't agree. I agree there most definitely still is racism in American but it isn't against blacks. All this film does is create more dissent and divide because people that know real history do not feel like they owe or deserve anything from anyone.
April 19, 2017
An incredibly powerful documentary. Highly recommended!!
½ April 18, 2017
this movie is what i could call the worse case of racial propaganda i have ever had to sit through it tries to make me feel sick to be a white person but no i don't because i am sick of these kinds of movies trying to make the white community feel like scum cause black people play the victim it is a shameful embarrassment that i wish bombed and i hope every black person that supports this black lives matter garbage feels disgusted and needs to shower afterwards
April 18, 2017
The fact that this unmissable documentary has been somehow met with strong opposition from a segment of the public is symptomatic evidence of its importance as an objective examination that should make us seriously reflect on the very roots of racism in America.
April 16, 2017
An exploration into what identity means when you peal back the bland generalities about identity politics in the media. This film is a thought provoking journey that will leave you thinking about your place in modern America. A little slow at the beginning, and at times muddled in exposition, it never the less dives deep into the soul of American white supremacy.
April 7, 2017
Sobering. Timely - albeit seemingly eternally so sadly.
Searing. Cathartic.
May God have mercy on the souls tormented in their life on this earth and on those of us who have yet to speak up sufficiently to oppose injustice, regardless of whether the perpetrator kin or foe.
May reminders such as these drive us to more than a shudder or a tear.
April 6, 2017
Felt a bit incoherent. More of a book than a film.
½ April 2, 2017
Until when is this racist subject going to be dragged on... Will we ever move into future and leave the past behind ? And it's mostly America living in this mindset. Even the title is horrible.
March 30, 2017
Excellent first hand account of what it means to be black in the U.S. It did challenge me, but I think I enjoyed the Netflix documentary, "13th" more because of the more focused nature of the narrative.
March 30, 2017
I Am Not Your Negro is a painful documentary about Civil Rights Leaders and the ideas that were around back then. But it connects beautifully to today's struggles. James Baldwin's words spoken through the voice of Samuel L. Jackson. The words can dig into us at our core. The visuals are wonderfully striking. The emotions run raw. We see Baldwin's growth throughout the movie as well as the hurt and pain. Despite that, this is not a film about Baldwin.

This film is about race relations in America both in the past as well as the present. Using words written 30 years ago, the audience sees both discourse on the state of race relations in the 60's as well as today. The words hit hard because they are both emotionally charged and quite blunt. There is no beating around the bush about Baldwin's feelings about race relations during his time. This makes it easier for the audience to attach themselves to the message. I looked around the packed theater during this film and I could see some of the white people in the audience shift uncomfortably at the language used and others sitting there like me, mouth agape at the beauty of the feelings expressed in this film. It was easy to separate the people who think race relations are broken from those who think it is fine. The great thing about this film is not that it gets the real history out there-that has always been there-but rather that it can get people of all opinions thinking more about the position that society puts black people living in America in.

It's true that things have gotten better over time, but that is not hard to do when the history of it is riddled with trauma and hatred. It's also true that we have seen a fast rise in discrimination and hate towards ALL minorities, but primarily towards black people living in America.

"I can't be a pessimist because I'm alive," Baldwin said. "I'm forced to be an optimist."

9.8/10
½ March 30, 2017
Excellent documentary
85% on the Ricksta Scale
March 27, 2017
going with P&R this week. Looking forward to dinner, movie and discussion with them
½ March 27, 2017
A must watch film about James Baldwins observations of race in America. It was eye opening and moving in every way. This film was incredible and interesting and very very relevant.
March 26, 2017
Enough is enough. Things have changed since the sixties and earlier. Well except that obama sent race relations back to the Stone Age.
March 25, 2017
Not sure I completely understand but I guess that's the point.
March 25, 2017
A story with learning about.
March 22, 2017
The powerful ideas of James Baldwin's writing are well represented in this timely documentary. The film looks at of the most thought-provoking queer, black writers of the 20th as he shares his views on MLK, Malcolm X and Medgar Evers. Olnly issue is way the film is structure is a little awkward - because the discussion revolves around his writing on those 3 men, but the documentary is really about him.
March 20, 2017
A well done documentary with imagery that left me shaken and angry. James Baldwin's commentary on race is definitely ahead of its time.
March 19, 2017