I Am Not Your Negro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Not Your Negro Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
Strong, beautiful, hard to watch. There's way too much to discuss in pondering this film but it is something to cherish especially in recent times. This is the sort of material that is required by education systems and people of all colors to watch.
July 31, 2017
I found this intermittently interesting but I was left scratching my head a bit at how universally lauded it seems to have been. James Baldwin is a really interesting figure and I imagine his book may be a good read but I'm not 100% sure it translated to the documentary format myself.
July 30, 2017
Baldwin did not just write about "race" - he wrote about morality and humanity. Similarly, this documentary is not just about Baldwin - it is about society and justice and so much more. No talking heads this time. Just the words of a gifted thinker/writer, images from every corner of this nation, and one of the most beautiful/powerful documentaries I have ever seen. This is documentary as art form. Must. See.
½ July 24, 2017
7/24/17 Amazon Prime

James Baldwin was an intelligent, insightful and articulate man who described the world of race in America with depth and perception. This movie certainly did an admirable job of presenting his views and it should make everyone who watches it think. However, like so many presentations it is one sided and does little to explain the reasons for all the ills in the black community, short of blaming white America only. It would be interesting to see a more balanced view of the problems we face with race.
July 21, 2017
History is not told through the voice of James Baldwin, nor is it seen through his eyes or felt through his shared pain. History is exposed for what it is, an unfortunate Ever-Living testiment to a human condition. I know this to be true because it was like looking into a reflective pond.
½ July 20, 2017
Interesting look at the historical roots of segregation and the political apparatus that perpetuates our racial tensions. I think it would be interesting to compare our racial issues/tensions to other countries issues. Just to give us a sense of we are not the worst country in the world and not alone in trying to deal with these issues that spring up from the idea of otherness.
July 17, 2017
An Eye opener. It's not just about race but its something deeper within.
July 16, 2017
Everyone should see it. Especially white liberals and white conservatives. Clarence Page said of James Baldwin: Baldwin's essays never stopped articulating the anger and frustration felt by real-life black Americans with more clarity and style than any other writer of his generation. This film is as relevant now as it was during Baldwin's life. Those who doubt his impact should consider that the FBI file on him ran to 1,884 pages. Clearly white America was terrified of him, yet he had white friends and advocated for reconciliation. This movie is hard to watch. It made me uncomfortable and angry. I can only imagine how it affects African Americans who see it. It is a fitting tribute to a great man, and one of our greatest writers.
½ July 16, 2017
Se consideran el mejor pais del mundo pero tienen un pasado bien negro
July 12, 2017
Wow, James Baldwin was really a brilliant mind. Excellent documentary!
July 11, 2017
Incredibly insightful
July 10, 2017
excellent perspective of an ex pat. however entirely leaves out his other struggle
July 8, 2017
Powerful and a necessary part of the narrative
July 7, 2017
One of the best docs I've seen in years. A story written by the man himself almost 40 years ago and brilliantly directed by Raoul Peck.
June 30, 2017
James Baldwin was one of the most vital voices in America's 20th century and thanks to this movie his voice seems more essential then before.

This important film shares Baldwin's views on racism at a point in his life where he was 63. Angry, tired, introspective, enlightened is how Baldwin comes across (in a letter read by Samuel L. Jackson and visualized brilliantly by Raoul Peck).

This is a film that needs to be shared in homes, schools and any venue where discussion can follow.
June 29, 2017
Jason O'Mahony This is the Documentary I was talking about. Powerful stuff.
½ June 29, 2017
"Not everything that can be faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced."
June 28, 2017
A real eye opener a must see all African-American should see the movie even the kids and have a real Conversation about what's going on now and back then
½ June 28, 2017
Very, Very, One sided and Narrow-minded! The #1 cause of Black mens death (18-34) is murder! Black on Black murder NOT white cops. Let's figure out the real problem, instead of playing the Victim of the white man.
This documentary only uses the facts that benefits the story of the brought down black man. The black Panthers killed many white people but NO just show images of the long suffering black man. A lot of white people died fighting for black rights. a Lot of black people, back in the day agreed with segagration not just whites.
#blacklivesmatter is racist because all lives matter. Racism is ignorant and wrong no matter what color you are. Blacks are even racist towards other blacks. Saying your too dark too be pretty. When will it end?! Diversity is what makes America great. Let's move forward! This documentary moves backwords.
½ June 27, 2017
Brilliant film on Race in this country . Baldwin's words come to life in beautiful and tragic manner . Done superbly my Samuel L. Jackson. Everyone should see this movie.