I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart Reviews

March 11, 2014
I am not a fan of Wilco but I did enjoy this.
December 6, 2012
yes, i do love wilco, but it's a great look at a fantastic band going through a very pivotal point in their career. a rare dvd where the audio commentary is actually worth listening to all the way through. yes... the ending does seem a bit... trite, but ah well... forgive it.
September 11, 2012
An interesting peek into the music industry (for Wilco fans and non-Wilco fans alike). A story that shows that there are still some real artists out there, putting their integrity above profit and commercial success. It's made all the better by the fact that the events occurring in the film were pure surprises. Reprise Records must still be kicking themselves for letting what became an immensely acclaimed and successful album go.
May 21, 2012
A must see for Wilco fans.
½ March 22, 2012
One of my favorites. I love Wilco, and it's a fantastic film.
March 21, 2012
I love Wilco, regardless of all its various band changes. I don't know how watchable this film is if you don't care about the band or its music, but if you're interested in seeing a band creating their music, then getting screwed over by their record label, this is your film.
January 29, 2012
"They Hated the record so much they paid for it twice"

Synopsis: Rockumentary following the band "Wilco" in the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".

The source material is what ultimately carries this documentary above anything other than obscurity. It's extremely well photographed, the black and white imagery accompanies the music perfectly, but most of the actual imagery is typical rock band stuff that you yourself probably made for your own band in your teens with your home video camera. There is close to no real insight into the band or the record its documenting, you can literally find most of the information covered here in any literary article about about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Intellectually the film is a bit of a disappointment.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot however, is simply a masterpiece of modern alternative rock (i'm not familiar with much Wilco music, but i love Foxtrot), and the feature is loaded to the brim with alternate takes of many of the tunes on the landmark record as well as music from Wilco's other albums (i'm assuming the ones i didn't recognize were from other Wilco works) and interviews with Wilco and their inner circle, such attractions are enough to warrant a watch by fans.

Though it doesn't offer much for non-fans, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart offers enough for those familiar with Wilco or their acclaimed fourth album.
September 9, 2011
I think you would have to be a super fan to give it more stars.
August 21, 2011
The fifth star is for the music. If you do not like that album or Wilco in general, subtract one or two.
June 12, 2011
Beautifully shot in black and white, very interesting story about dealings with the record label, but the first really interesting thing happens at minute 40. It's too long.
March 14, 2011
Finally, finally saw this film. Fascinating to witness their process of creation. Some of the interactions unfold like scenes from a troubled marriage. Am still cringing about the awkward meet and greet near the beginning.
½ February 1, 2011
As music documentaries go, this is very much one of my favorites... not sure why I let it sit in the queue so long. It's a wonderfully paced doc. with a beautiful soundtrack and interesting subject matter. Definitely good stuff.
½ December 25, 2010
This is a favorite documentary (and a favorite album)
½ October 20, 2010
wilco fans will love it aswell as people not familiar with the band.
½ September 25, 2010
It's eternally fascinating to see any of the creative work that goes into something like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which has to be one of the greatest pieces of art of the '00s. Not so interesting is the licensing and bureaucratic horseplay that follows, which in this case happens to be the bulk of Jones' film and which in general seems to be (in any discipline) an artist's burden to bear on his/her/their own and therefore not a great subject for a wider audience. So for that reason, this documentary is a brilliant collection of music videos but a boring and forgettable snapshot of music management.
½ September 22, 2010
Great videos of the process. The Tweedy/Bennett arguments were interesting to see... so was the process of the recording. I love this album. And have been bummed with every other one of their releases since YHF.
½ September 15, 2010
For Fans Of: Wilco, Indie Rock, Drama, The creative process
Date Night: No
Art Factor: High
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: Medium
Intelligence Required: Low
Essential Viewing: No

Let it be said that as far as movies about bands, The Last Waltz will never be touched. Ever. Just the way the world is. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart comes close. Not a concert movie like Waltz, this is more of a story about how the pressure of trying to break through the glass ceiling can start to break a band. Honest to an almost uncomfortable point, you will leave this film with a great knowledge of just how much a band can (and should) be pouring into a record you buy (or probably steal). Also, if you have never heard of or just plain heard Wilco, great place to check them out. An amazing band in an amazing doc.
½ September 8, 2010
sebuah dokumenter apik tentang Wilco. bercerita tentang carut marutnya industri musik, pertarungan tanpa henti antara seni versus industri. Wilco awalnya berada di label Reprise, anak perusahaannya Warner. dibayar dimuka buat bikin rekaman Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, tapi akhirnya dilepas Reprise karena Wilco ngga mo ngerubah mixing albumnya. master yg sudah dibiayai Reprise akhirnya dikasih ke Wilco gratis. lalu album diambil alih oleh Nonesuch Records yg sama² bernaung di bawah Warner. master dijual 2 - 3x lipat harga yg dibayar Reprise n akhirnya menjadi album paling laku dalam sejarah Wilco. Jay Bennet jadi korban dari semua pertarungan ini, dipecat dari Wilco gara² Jeff Tweedy sudah tidak sreg kerja bareng. amat sangat direkomen dokumenter ini ditonton anak² band atau para executive label rekaman!!
July 15, 2010
I have always been a Wilco fan, the lyrics just drain into me, and they make me feel relaxed, I listen to their music during times that are hard for me. Jeff Tweedy is a great writer, and Wilco is a great band. When I watched this right after Bennett died, I felt upset, although he should have just left Tweedy with last word, during a awkward fight, before Jeff had to throw up due to his Migraines, Wilco has always been a great band, and this movie was amazing. I Am Tryig To Break Your Heart, said "hello" to me, and I said it back, and listened.
March 31, 2010
Wilco will love you, baby.