I Am Trying to Break Your Heart Reviews

• Mar 11, 2014

I am not a fan of Wilco but I did enjoy this.

I am not a fan of Wilco but I did enjoy this.

• Dec 06, 2012

yes, i do love wilco, but it's a great look at a fantastic band going through a very pivotal point in their career. a rare dvd where the audio commentary is actually worth listening to all the way through. yes... the ending does seem a bit... trite, but ah well... forgive it.

• Sep 11, 2012

An interesting peek into the music industry (for Wilco fans and non-Wilco fans alike). A story that shows that there are still some real artists out there, putting their integrity above profit and commercial success. It's made all the better by the fact that the events occurring in the film were pure surprises. Reprise Records must still be kicking themselves for letting what became an immensely acclaimed and successful album go.

• May 21, 2012

A must see for Wilco fans.

A must see for Wilco fans.

• Mar 22, 2012

One of my favorites. I love Wilco, and it's a fantastic film.

One of my favorites. I love Wilco, and it's a fantastic film.

• Mar 21, 2012

I love Wilco, regardless of all its various band changes. I don't know how watchable this film is if you don't care about the band or its music, but if you're interested in seeing a band creating their music, then getting screwed over by their record label, this is your film.

• Jan 29, 2012

"They Hated the record so much they paid for it twice" Synopsis: Rockumentary following the band "Wilco" in the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". The source material is what ultimately carries this documentary above anything other than obscurity. It's extremely well photographed, the black and white imagery accompanies the music perfectly, but most of the actual imagery is typical rock band stuff that you yourself probably made for your own band in your teens with your home video camera. There is close to no real insight into the band or the record its documenting, you can literally find most of the information covered here in any literary article about about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Intellectually the film is a bit of a disappointment. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot however, is simply a masterpiece of modern alternative rock (i'm not familiar with much Wilco music, but i love Foxtrot), and the feature is loaded to the brim with alternate takes of many of the tunes on the landmark record as well as music from Wilco's other albums (i'm assuming the ones i didn't recognize were from other Wilco works) and interviews with Wilco and their inner circle, such attractions are enough to warrant a watch by fans. Though it doesn't offer much for non-fans, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart offers enough for those familiar with Wilco or their acclaimed fourth album.

• Sep 09, 2011

I think you would have to be a super fan to give it more stars.

I think you would have to be a super fan to give it more stars.

• Aug 10, 2011

The fifth star is for the music. If you do not like that album or Wilco in general, subtract one or two.

• Jun 12, 2011

Beautifully shot in black and white, very interesting story about dealings with the record label, but the first really interesting thing happens at minute 40. It's too long.