I Bury the Living - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Bury the Living Reviews

½ October 31, 2014
I BURY THE LIVING plays like an extended episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE, and, while the ultimately rather thin premise doesn't even entirely support its brief 76 minute running time, there are some fun and clever twists and turns and a number of memorable images (mostly creatively composed in the editing room) for a film with a tiny cast and no real monsters and confined to just a couple locations. You'd really have to stretch to call it a classic, but it's a very enjoyable example of what horror on a budget looked like in 1958.
October 28, 2013
Great Movie, but the ending makes no sense! You defiintley get the "Twilight Zone" vibe from this Black & White B-Horror Movie. I actually think if a Big Hollywood Studio did a Reboot of this film and improved upon the ending it would be very successful
January 15, 2013
How would you like to get a cemetery plot as a wedding gift?

A family member dies and leaves the position of director of the cemetery to his son. The son reluctantly takes on the position and ventures down to the cemetery to understand how the place works operationally. The business man is shown a map that is marked white for still alive and black for dead and in the ground. The business man discovers if he marks someone black that is alive the person dies. Is it the map or purely a coincidence?

"The only question is does a man die during his own time or the map's."

Albert Band, director of Ghoulies II, She Came to the Valley, Honey I Blew up the Kids, Robot Wars, and Grand Canyon Massacre, delivers I Bury the Living. The storyline for this picture is very entertaining and the death scenes are pretty good. The acting is very solid and the cast includes Richard Boone, Theodore Bickel, Peggy Maurer, and Howard Smith.

"He marked the young couple for death."

I DVR'd this picture this past Halloween and just now got around to seeing it. I can say I adored this picture and found it fun to watch unfold. It is not a perfect picture or particularly intense but I found it very entertaining and worth viewing. I strongly recommend giving this film a shot.

"All you do is show up once a week and sign the checks."

Grade: B+
½ October 27, 2012
Newly appointed overseer at Immortal Hills discovers people die when he puts a black pin in their plot on the cemetery map. Was hoping to see some living dead when the graves were discovered empty but all is tidied up very cleanly by police.
October 6, 2012
Reminded me so many times of the Twilight Zone, but that's a good thing and I thought Boone gave a great performance.
August 16, 2012
Effective 50s b-grade suspense thriller!!
½ July 31, 2012
Nifty little late 50s horror with some lovely surrealistic sequences. More of a thriller than a chiller but worth the effort nonetheless.
July 5, 2012
I like the old style humor and concept. Better than most flicks any day on Chiller or SyFy.
April 3, 2012
One of the better 50's drive-in style flicks. A man thinks he has the power to kill people or bring them back to life by placing different colored pins in a cemetery map. A bit slow at times but the intrigue to figure out the ending is present and even though the ending is a bit of a let down and not that unpredictable I Bury the Living is one of the better horror flicks from the 50s.
½ March 17, 2012
Edgy and entertaining. The story is pretty thrilling but the ending ruins it and could of been a lot better. Good characters overall and some nice writing.
½ February 21, 2012
Cool premise. But they were afraid to go the undead route.
January 30, 2012
November 27, 2011
Pretty cheesy but fun.
October 28, 2011
Except for the Scottish sheepherder, the acting wasn't very good. The concept was quite intriguing, however.
October 1, 2011
I Bury the Living sorta puzzles me. I was impatient w/ it @ times but when it got to the climax I wish it was longer. A lot of people compare it to an episode of the Twilight Zone & it's very similar if only the last couple of frames were different because it's not as haunting as it should be or rather it let's us over easy. Some say this should be remade but I usually say if you've seen the outcome in it's original form why bother. This uses great use on a tiny budget that it could only be remade a for TV, an independent flix or an off Broadway stage play...Of the three the stage play sounds the most interesting to me
September 27, 2011
While in his office, the new chairman of a large cemetery (Richard Boone) works on a large map which represents the occupied plots. Black pins represent occupied plots and white piins representing empty lots that have been purchased but not yet filled. After a mix up with the pins, several people start dying which inevitable leads this man to believe that he may be god. Is it just a coincidence, or does he really have power to dictate life and death? Bury the Living is a pretty cool premise that feels a lot like a slightly longer episode of the Twilight Zone episode. This man is not evil; Most of the film is spent as he struggles to deal with what is going on and how no one believes this ability of his to be true. Richard Boone really does a good job as this conflicted man who begins to essentially lose his mind because of this. I Bury The Living has some inventive cinematography and sound design, particularly for the time, but I never felt like the film made it to the level of being considered a great film.
June 12, 2011
I wish we could get a remake of this film. I'm not saying that because it's horrible, but because it's really good. The old school-ness makes it creepy. Interesting ending.
½ May 3, 2011
Newly appointed cemetary director finds plot owners die every time he sticks a black pin on a map of the grounds. Despite his guilt, he retests the premise repeatedly to grim results. 50s horror that has held up better than some of its peers.
February 25, 2011
Okay, this is the set up: guy switches white pins (reserves) to black pins (occupied) on a cemetery map and people die afterwards. Sounds pretty moronic? Well quite, suspense is brought in along with a great performance from Richard Boone who‚??s very convincing. He hits the part of superstition right on the head as it may say something about us and from the past and present. The film leads up to a shocking that I did not see coming. I Bury the Living is worth watching.