I Can Only Imagine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Can Only Imagine Reviews

September 8, 2018
The song I CAN ONLY IMAGINE topped Christian radio charts, hit #4 on the mainstream Adult Contemporary charts and top 25 on Pop/CHR and Hot AC charts. This true story of the same title is every bit as amazing! Expect parts of the story to make you angry, but then your anger will be replaced with joy! Loved it...can't wait to see it again & again & again.
September 8, 2018
The far-reaching effects of the song was astounding, but I couldn't even imagine the amazing impact this movie would have on so many. Believer or non-believer, please see this movie and witness the true story of a life forever changed.
September 2, 2018
Just very heartwarming, well-done, and inspiring. Watched it twice because I just couldn't watch it once.
September 2, 2018
Every child should see this movie ...and every adult. If you have ever lived life, you'll benefit from it I promise. Get your kleenex.
½ September 1, 2018
I love I Can Only Imagine. It is tear jerking and super joyful at the same time. This movie tells the story of Bart Millard MercyMe's head singer and how his dad came to Christ. This movie shows how god is the light in the darkness and helps anyone through the hard times.
August 25, 2018
Tears for those who lost love of your parents. This movie is touching if you could ignore the touch of religion in it. Never collect memories!
August 23, 2018
I loved this movie! As a Christian, I am not always a fan of Christian movies. They tend to stereotype and be poor in quality. This is NOT the case for "I Can Only Imagine!" I challenge you to see it and not be impacted. The acting and singing are top of the line; the story is written wonderfully, but most of all, the healing of brokenness, the power of forgiveness, and the Love of God are highlighted. Loved it! This was the best acting I have ever seen from Dennis Quaid. He was amazing. I don't cry in movies, so I was caught off guard when those tears started to pour down my face and tried my best to keep from outright sobbing in the theater.
August 20, 2018
Very touching film. Well acted, creatively shot, and well written. I went into this expecting a low budget Christian forgettable and came out moved and changed. Watched it riveted twice in 24hrs. I especially enjoyed Dennis Quaid's performance. His best yet; I would even say worth an Oscar.
August 18, 2018
The movie attempted to merge 19 year-old Bart and 27 year-old Bart into one sequential narrative and the result was an awkward-looking 30 year-old actor in a high school uniform. The core problem is the movie changes enough details from the real story that it doesn't feel like truth is being represented here. It matters that there was a separation of 7 years (not days) between the time Arthur died and Bart writing the song. It matters that Bart had a brother who endured this suffering with him. It matters that the impetus for Arthur's abuse was a tragic work accident (not alcohol). It matters that Arthur became a Christian before Bart was singing worship sets at churches (and that it wasn't Bart who led Arthur to Christ). It matters that Bart had 4 years (not a few months) with his dying, born-again father. It matters that Amy Grant gave the rights of "Imagine" back to Bart long before a dramatic on-stage change of heart in front of hundreds of people. The true story of how "I Can Only Imagine" came to be is heartwarming in itself; there was no need to Hollywoodize this story.
August 13, 2018
A great movie for anyone struggling for answers to life's problems and questions. Faith based? Yes, but certainly far more life based. Dennis Quaid did a good job with his vision of the father. J. Michael Finley did an awesome job in the role of Bart. The movie is not too over the top religious, but does bring home the feelings of those with strong faith in God. This is one of those films that seeing it just once is not enough to catch every detail.
August 8, 2018
Pay attention to the audience score not the critics. I was actually blown away when I found out it was only 65% rating by critics. Can you guess these critics don't like Christianity? You don't even have to be christian to like it at all.
August 6, 2018
Powerful message of God's redemptive love. Can you imagine what it will be like? I fell to my knees when I first heard the song. Someone sent my son and I the CD. When I walked down the aisle at his wedding, he played this song. Life changing message. Life changing song.
August 6, 2018
Amazing film. Just loved it. And a film you'll love to watch over and over. Recommended. And you won't be able to keep from shedding a few tears!
August 2, 2018
This movie was incredible on many levels, and the audience score should cause shame to the critics. The low score of the critics, in addition to their condescending remarks reveals their bias against Christian films. If critics are 30% off from the audience, what purpose do they serve? I won't be consulting the critics the next time a christian movie comes out.
August 1, 2018
Very sad movie but also very inspirational.
July 30, 2018
AMAZING MOVIE. I love it!!!!
July 24, 2018
Love love !! The story behind the song makes it even more special! Beautiful song! It will give you chills and tears!
½ July 23, 2018
Troubled Singer Finds His Voice

"I Can Only Imagine" is an inspiring story of a troubled singer trying to find his voice. The film is loosely based on the story of Bart Millard (embodied by musical theater actor J. Michael Finley), singer-songwriter of the Texas band MercyMe, whose abusive father (so brilliantly played by Dennis Quaid) inspired him to write the chart-topping single of the film's title. This faith-building film encourages people to forgive others and never give up on their dreams.
The theme of forgiveness first appears after young Bart attends a Christian youth camp. The preacher explains that we are required to forgive others because God has forgiven us. Later in life, Bart returns home to find his dad a completely changed man who has found Christianity. His father said, "If God can forgive everybody else, why can't He forgive me?" Bart somberly replied "God can forgive you. I can't." Soon after this moment, Bart stormed out of the house only to find pamphlets about his father's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Bart's anger turned to compassion and he returned to his father, forgave him, and over time developed a lasting friendship with him. This turning point in Bart's life encourages audience members to forgive those who have wronged them, and highlights the blessings of doing so.
Not only does the film develop the theme of forgiveness, but also develops the theme of following your dreams. At the beginning of the film, Bart's father, whose dream of becoming a professional football player was cut short by an injury, is found burning his old football trophies and awards. He then forces his son to burn his toys and teaches him that "Dreams don't pay the bills. Nothing good comes from them. All it does is keeping you from knowing what is real." This discouragement and disapproval from his father was prevalent as Bart tried to follow his dream by joining the school play and singing in the church choir. Bart was only met by more rejection as his band, Mercy Me, performed for music producers. Even through all this, Bart never gave up on his dream. After the death of his father, Bart received monthly insurance checks which allowed him to keep writing songs. The last insurance check came the week that his song "I Can Only Imagine" hit number one in America. Bart's perseverance provided him the platform to write the top Christian song of all time.
The best demonstration of Dennis Quaid's acting ability came to life when he tried to gain forgiveness from his son. As a changed man, he attempted to restore his relationship with his son through acts of kindness and was ultimately shut down. Quaid expressed pure anguish and regret as he went to the barn and began smashing the old Jeep he planned on fixing with his son. Being ridden with cancer, he fell to the ground in pain, perfectly showing the vulnerability and humility that his character lacked for so many years. This moment truly shows the raw acting talent of Dennis Quaid.
Overall, what makes this movie special is its encouraging message of forgiveness and dedication to achieving a dream. In today's world, it's hard to find many sources of uplifting entertainment, which makes this film a rarity. It is appropriate for all ages and brings families together. Even though I am not the biggest fan of Christian country music, I certainly gave this movie two thumbs up.
July 21, 2018
Great movie. Our whole family enjoyed it... teens, parents and grandparents. I've loved this song for years and now love it even more. The movie has a wonderful message of forgiveness, love and hope, and is very well done. Definitely worth seeing.