I Can Only Imagine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Can Only Imagine Reviews

March 18, 2019
Entertaining, yet deeply moving. A dramatic look at the band and the song; religious without being preachy at all.
March 18, 2019
This movie is excellent. It is mainly the story of a broken father son relationship that also happens to be the inspiration for one of the most beautiful songs ever written. J. Michael Finley and Dennis Quaid shine in the lead roles. Truly an unforgettable story.
March 11, 2019
What a wonderful and moving story... even better that it's true!
March 10, 2019
First movie to make me cry in about 10 years. This is a story that many can sort of relate to and that's what makes it great. Very well executed.
March 9, 2019
Good movie nice change from the garbage out there.
½ March 8, 2019
Only Dennis Quaid & Cloris Leachman were recognizable and interesting, knew nothing of this band / song / not a religious person myself but I did like this movie somehow.
February 24, 2019
one of the best movies of the year. I was not even a huge Mercy me fan but I am now.
February 19, 2019
As a biopic, this is essentially an unintentional Christian "Walk Hard". As an evangelical film, it's better than most, mainly because it doesn't feel evangelical. Instead, it just seeks to authentically capture the white American Christian experience ...whether that's a worthy goal is your call.
February 15, 2019
Absolutely incredible!! And heartwarming!
January 22, 2019
The best movie i've seen in years. They don't make them like this anymore.
January 13, 2019
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen, I don't care if it has religious themes, it does a damn good job of making me think about my life, and it made me cry A LOT, so if you're one of the people on here that gave it a bad rating because it has religious elements, you can go to hell
January 13, 2019
My family and I really enjoyed this film. They did such a great job. I love to see these kinds of movies hit the theaters. <3
January 1, 2019
Very ground breaking and moving! A need to see for all!
December 29, 2018
Great story! The movie was able to focus on the [why] of the movie. Very heartfelt, non-preachy story, which just happens to be about a man of faith (which happens to be of Biblical faith), who happens to be a singer/ songwriter who sings of faith. To people who can relate to personal struggles and dreams, whether or not they are of a particular faith, this movie will resonate with them. If, however, people are not huge fans of biographies (and that you focus on that character) or, if you have some prejudices of particular, personal faith choices, you may just inadvertently let everyone know your bias by writing it all over the viewer reviews. What the movie may lack is made up for by a wonderful performance by Dennis Quaid.
½ December 29, 2018
I am surprised with how good it is. Solid and great story.
December 25, 2018
It is about the thought of believing in faith not necessarily religion and is beautiful story about the belief in God and the worship in God but it's more than that I recommend to even those who don't like hearing religion in other subjects will like it
½ December 10, 2018
It's not inspirational or insightful but I Can Only Imagine is a solid faith-based drama that is certain to have an impact on its viewers regardless of their religious beliefs. With strong performances and notable storytelling, the story behind one of the most popular songs in gospel music is made into a touching and effective movie.
½ November 28, 2018
This is the true story of Bart Millard, the lead singer for the Christian band Mercy Me. At the age of 10, Bart's mom leaves to get away from his physically abusive father, leaving Bart alone with a monster. Bart tries to please his father by following in his footsteps and becoming a football player but an injury ends his athletic career. Struggling to find a new direction, Bart ends up in the drama department at school where he discovers he has a talent for singing. When Bart lands the lead in a production of Oklahoma he doesn't tell his father because he believes his father won't be interested. This leads to a physical confrontation with his father that is the last straw for Bart. Bart ends up leaving home not knowing that his father has been diagnosed with cancer. He not only walks away from his father, but he also leaves behind his long-time girlfriend Shannon.

Bart ends up singing in a band called Mercy Me and struggles to find his voice as a singer-songwriter. His manager Scott Brickell ends up pushing Bart toward confronting his relationship with his father, and Bart travels back home to tie up the loose ends. In so doing, Bart discovers his father has found God and is dying of cancer. Bart and his father work their way through an emotional reconnection and in the end find a loving relationship. It is this experience that inspires Bart to write one of the most popular Christian songs of all time, "I Can Only Imagine."

I have to start by calling out Randy Quaid's performance as the abusive, emotionally disturbed, jerk father as an absolutely academy award performance. He is the evil villain that drives this story and he does a suburb job. I have to admit I didn't believe it was possible to build a whole story around one song, but I was wrong. In the film, Bart reveals it only took him about ten minutes to write the lyrics, and Amy Grant corrects him by suggesting that song took a lifetime to write - and of course she's right. This is a story about what it takes to conjure up a song that touches the heart of millions. This is a story about how the creative process is married to the struggle of life. It's an inspiring tale the delivers the emotional satisfaction needed to make the finale performance of "I Can Only Image" as powerful as the first time I heard it. Awesome!
November 11, 2018
Make sure you have tissue paper near by, soon or later you will be crying. Good crying though.
October 30, 2018
Beautiful story. I was crying almost through out the entire movie. I love the message and the inspiration it gave me. I loved it