I Can Only Imagine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Can Only Imagine Reviews

January 13, 2019
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen, I don't care if it has religious themes, it does a damn good job of making me think about my life, and it made me cry A LOT, so if you're one of the people on here that gave it a bad rating because it has religious elements, you can go to hell
January 13, 2019
My family and I really enjoyed this film. They did such a great job. I love to see these kinds of movies hit the theaters. <3
January 1, 2019
Very ground breaking and moving! A need to see for all!
December 29, 2018
Great story! The movie was able to focus on the [why] of the movie. Very heartfelt, non-preachy story, which just happens to be about a man of faith (which happens to be of Biblical faith), who happens to be a singer/ songwriter who sings of faith. To people who can relate to personal struggles and dreams, whether or not they are of a particular faith, this movie will resonate with them. If, however, people are not huge fans of biographies (and that you focus on that character) or, if you have some prejudices of particular, personal faith choices, you may just inadvertently let everyone know your bias by writing it all over the viewer reviews. What the movie may lack is made up for by a wonderful performance by Dennis Quaid.
½ December 29, 2018
I am surprised with how good it is. Solid and great story.
December 25, 2018
It is about the thought of believing in faith not necessarily religion and is beautiful story about the belief in God and the worship in God but it's more than that I recommend to even those who don't like hearing religion in other subjects will like it
½ December 10, 2018
It's not inspirational or insightful but I Can Only Imagine is a solid faith-based drama that is certain to have an impact on its viewers regardless of their religious beliefs. With strong performances and notable storytelling, the story behind one of the most popular songs in gospel music is made into a touching and effective movie.
½ November 28, 2018
This is the true story of Bart Millard, the lead singer for the Christian band Mercy Me. At the age of 10, Bart's mom leaves to get away from his physically abusive father, leaving Bart alone with a monster. Bart tries to please his father by following in his footsteps and becoming a football player but an injury ends his athletic career. Struggling to find a new direction, Bart ends up in the drama department at school where he discovers he has a talent for singing. When Bart lands the lead in a production of Oklahoma he doesn't tell his father because he believes his father won't be interested. This leads to a physical confrontation with his father that is the last straw for Bart. Bart ends up leaving home not knowing that his father has been diagnosed with cancer. He not only walks away from his father, but he also leaves behind his long-time girlfriend Shannon.

Bart ends up singing in a band called Mercy Me and struggles to find his voice as a singer-songwriter. His manager Scott Brickell ends up pushing Bart toward confronting his relationship with his father, and Bart travels back home to tie up the loose ends. In so doing, Bart discovers his father has found God and is dying of cancer. Bart and his father work their way through an emotional reconnection and in the end find a loving relationship. It is this experience that inspires Bart to write one of the most popular Christian songs of all time, "I Can Only Imagine."

I have to start by calling out Randy Quaid's performance as the abusive, emotionally disturbed, jerk father as an absolutely academy award performance. He is the evil villain that drives this story and he does a suburb job. I have to admit I didn't believe it was possible to build a whole story around one song, but I was wrong. In the film, Bart reveals it only took him about ten minutes to write the lyrics, and Amy Grant corrects him by suggesting that song took a lifetime to write - and of course she's right. This is a story about what it takes to conjure up a song that touches the heart of millions. This is a story about how the creative process is married to the struggle of life. It's an inspiring tale the delivers the emotional satisfaction needed to make the finale performance of "I Can Only Image" as powerful as the first time I heard it. Awesome!
November 11, 2018
Make sure you have tissue paper near by, soon or later you will be crying. Good crying though.
October 30, 2018
Beautiful story. I was crying almost through out the entire movie. I love the message and the inspiration it gave me. I loved it
October 21, 2018
An inspiring movie on redemption and forgiveness! Also a great story to see a dream pursued by overcoming fear through following Christ!
½ October 19, 2018
not bad but i dont know why peoplele like this song so much :/
October 8, 2018
A really powerful movie
October 5, 2018
Great film with an amazin performance from Dennis Quaid.
October 4, 2018
Touching and inspiring. Not like any other films, it has something we really need to feel.. Love it.
September 29, 2018
That is a great movie
September 26, 2018
This movie was very inspiring, emotional, and reflective. Too few good Christian movies are coming out these days, and it does some good to see the breathtaking journey that is foretold during this one. The actors nail it perfectly, and there are emotional parts that brought tears to my eyes. Ignore the liberal critics, this film is a must see for the WHOLE family!
September 8, 2018
The song I CAN ONLY IMAGINE topped Christian radio charts, hit #4 on the mainstream Adult Contemporary charts and top 25 on Pop/CHR and Hot AC charts. This true story of the same title is every bit as amazing! Expect parts of the story to make you angry, but then your anger will be replaced with joy! Loved it...can't wait to see it again & again & again.
September 8, 2018
The far-reaching effects of the song was astounding, but I couldn't even imagine the amazing impact this movie would have on so many. Believer or non-believer, please see this movie and witness the true story of a life forever changed.