I Cover the Waterfront - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Cover the Waterfront Reviews

October 18, 2015
good early career Colbert post that Oscar in that 1931 Columbia pic 'it happened one night'
February 9, 2014
I could not finish this one. Utter crap.
March 8, 2013
In "I Cover the Waterfront," Joe Miller(Ben Lyon) is an aspiring novelist who has gotten bored with his beat on the waterfront, a job which McCoy(Hobart Cavanaugh), his new bunkmate, would kill for. That still does not explain why Miller is reluctant to cover reports of a skinny dipper. His interest perks up when he finds out it is Julie Kirk(Claudette Colbert) who is the daughter of Eli Kirk(Ernest Torrence) who is suspected of running a human smuggling ring.

"I Cover the Waterfront" is a prime example of an early social issues drama. While I might not be surprised by the less than enlightened attitudes, I was kind of taken aback by the ignorance of the human cost involved and making the villain more than a little sympathetic in favor of a message against ambition. And I am pretty sure that a reporter has never before or since brought a human body into a newsroom. But then the always delightful Claudette Colbert has excellent chemistry with Ben Lyon and that is enough to spare the movie, however marginally.
½ October 16, 2011
An awkwardly slumming smuggling tale with Claudette Colbert, inspired by the novel, including the melody.
August 10, 2010
I enjoyed this movie, you have to take into account when it was made to enjoy it.
½ August 26, 2009
Title deserves to be recycled.
August 9, 2005