I Died a Thousand Times Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

In this remake of High Sierra, Jack Palance stars as over-the-hill gangster Mad Dog Earle, who plans one final heist before giving up his life of crime.During the 1950s California aging bank robber Roy "Mad Dog" Earle is pardoned after 8 years in prison.Once out of prison, Roy,at the request of his crime boss "Big Mac",decides to pull one more heist before retiring.His target is a fancy mountain resort hotel where employee Louis Mendoza is Roy's "inside man".Roy Earle's team of robbers include hotheaded Babe,Red and dance-hall girl Marie.Marie falls for Roy but he only thinks of innocent young girl Velma whom he recently met.Velma has a slight foot handicap and smitten Roy plans to pay for her foot surgery with his share of the loot.Unfortunately,the robbery doesn't go as planned.

• Jan 05, 2015

I went into this one rather blind, in that I was expecting a B & W film and got one in color, and I had no idea it was a re-make of an older Humphrey Bogart film. I have to say that I enjoyed it for what it was, with Palance playing a consummate tough guy, and I would like to revisit it after seeing the original. Well worth a look.

• Jun 20, 2014

Unusual given we have no hero here to identify with, however Jack Palance's character has humanistic weaknesses towards his fellow man (and dog) in the first part of the film. The final third of the film feels a lot different as these are swept aside to be able to conclude the crime story.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Sep 10, 2013

Almost scene for scene redo of High Sierra with color added but missing Raoul Walsh's energizing touch. Palance and Shelley Winters are fine actors but Bogart and Ida Lupino they are not so the whole enterprise comes across as rather pointless.

• Jan 27, 2013

Certainly not a great crime film, but I've always liked this remake of "High Sierra." It's mostly Jack Palance's performance in the Bogart role as "Mad Dog" Roy Earl that I love. The supporting cast is merely passable, with the exception of Lee Marvin as one of the young punks. You do also get to see Perry Lopez, Dennis Hopper and Dub Taylor in tiny bit parts, but they're not there long enough to really make a difference. But Shelley Winters is the one star in this film, who I've always been baffled by how many staring roles she got. She seems like the old Hollywood equivalent of Juliette Lewis, giving oddball performances where I'm never sure if she's giving a great performance that was the intention of the filmmakers or if she's just going off on her own doing something totally bizarre. In any case, I've always like the crime elements of this film and Palance's tough performance, even if the film is somewhat undone by distracting and unnecessary melodrama involving a young girl with a club foot and Palance and Winter's relationship.

• Jan 19, 2013

a remake of the bogart classic 'high sierra' skip this and see the 1941 version.