I Do - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Do Reviews

½ August 23, 2015
So good. Haven't enjoyed a film so much since Brokeback. Maurice Compte is a world class actor (and so easy on the eyes).
December 4, 2014
El problema de la migración que afecta a todos los grupos. Dudo q los británicos tengan este tipo de dramas. El que hace de español, poco convincente. En general mala actuación
August 17, 2014
A tv movie type film. A gay green card. It had uneven acting but overall it wore it heart on its sleeve and it was enjoyable.
July 1, 2014
This was a great movie. Real, and showed insight, guts on the part of the characters and it was about real love. People who are panning this don't know what a good movie is. First rate.
June 29, 2014
Oh lawd. It has been a very cry at movies weekend as well. Fantastic movie. Get your tissues out.
March 7, 2014
Stupid film. Made me cry.
Loved it!
January 3, 2014
Love the idea behind the film - but it is really lacking in chemistry and emotion and feels heavily contrived. Disappointing.
October 29, 2013
Someday we can all hope that homosexual's sexuality will stop being used as fodder for dopey, hopelessly contrived dramas like "I Do."
½ August 30, 2013
Oh misery loves company and there is plenty of it in this trite film. Flat, uninteresting characters cry around storyline that goes nowhere.
I don't.
½ June 29, 2013
An easy afternoon, "ain't we glad DOMA is dead" flick. Of course, the women are all drawn as overly emotional and, this, irrational: the (maybe justly) entitled sister-in-law; the fake wife who's supposed to be a lesbian, but ends up clingy; and then a random woman who's left it too long to have kids and will trade a green card for a baby. *sigh* Good on the social complexity, suckage on the gender politics.
June 13, 2013
Great plot, very heart warming story and I enjoyed the cast. Would watch it again and I would recommend it! Made me smile. :)
June 3, 2013
Sometimes it can take a personal film to bring more light on a subject often thought of in just political terms. Right now the Supreme Court is deciding on the Defense of Marriage Act, and their decision could make way for Gay couples to marry. But making marriage legal across our land for everyone has more implications that just simply making marriage legal for same-sex couples. This is the stirring subject brought to life with complicated and meaningful circumstances in the new film "I Do."

In "I Do," Jack (David W. Ross) is an openly gay man living a wonderful life in New York. Originally from England, he and his older brother Peter (Grant Bowler) have made New York their home. Their small family is to about to become larger as Peter's wife Mya is pregnant. As the family leaves a celebration dinner, an accident with stirring complications occurs. Peter is killed in what could be conceived as an accident caused by Jack.

As the years progress, Peter's absence is incredibly noticed. Mya and Jack do their best to help raise Peter's daughter Tara (Jessica Tyler Brown). But when Jack's is notified that his request for a renewal for his visa is denied, he is left with little options. Leaving Mya and Tara is the last thing Jack wants to do and England is but a distant memory with no relatives or friends there waiting for him. It is suggested to Jack that he marry in order to be able to stay in America.

Feeling he has no choice, Jack marries his best friend, Ali (Jamie-Lynn Sigler). Ali works with Jack and is also gay. She has just broken-up from her last lover and without really thinking of the long-term ramifications, the couple marry. Just as the two are getting use to wearing wedding bands, Jack meets the love of his life, Mano (Maurice Compte). When Jack and Mano get together, Ali seems to get lost in the mix and the new found happiness that Jack is having will not last long. Immigration starts asking questions, Ali has doubts about her decision and Mya has pent-up feelings about Jack. How will it all end? Can Jack's next decision make everyone happy or are there just no easy answers?

I really liked "I Do." It brings a powerful and hotly debated-subject into a real, tell-able story of a close knit community of friends and family. Jack's plight become's everyone's problem as his life affects those around him. The idea that he is gay becomes background noise as we see his own personal turmoil of being there for his family, creating his own personal life and finding his place in the world. As Jack grasps to do the right thing for everyone, things just seem to get worst.

The tightly-written script, by the film's lead actor David W. Ross, is powerful in is simplicity of telling a good story. It is a foundation for this excellent film. Also exemplary is the direction by Glenn Gaylord. There is no trick photography or techniques that get in the way of the story. The story moves fluidly from once scene to another.

All the actors are superb. David W. Ross plays Jack sympathetically without getting melodramatic. He comes to life on the screen and become a complete person that the audience feels compelled to like and root for his well-being. Jamie-Lynn Sigler is perfect for the role as Ali, although I would have liked to have seen more of her.

I really liked the work of Alicia Witt. She is an actress to watch. Her portrayal of Mya is heartbreaking as her grief is relatable. She does a fine job of making Mya a bit hard due to her circumstances, but at the same time not becoming a villain or too one-dimensional. Maurice Compte has the easiest of the parts, playing the latin lover Mano. This is another actor that I am going to watch for. I really enjoyed his choices.

All in all, I love a film that tells a personal story in way that I learn from it. And "I Do" is a story of the human condition, of the complexities of life and how a choice that might appear simple can be much more than that. So, if anyone asks if I recommend this movie, the answer is simple: I Do!
June 3, 2013
This movie is a Great movie finally a movie that anyone can relate to...
June 2, 2013
This one really spoke to me. I see a lot of myself in this movie
June 1, 2013
I watched it last night with my boyfriend. well written and well acted! love all the talented people in it . it feel so real to us. we gay couple faces more discriminate than straight couples. J and I never kissed or hold hands in public, not because we don't want to do it. it is just because it might upset some people. sometimes, I feel like I am such a coward. anyway, back to the movie. it not only showed the marriage inequality in US, but also teach us a great lesson about life. Thanks a lot to those who made these movie. hope more people could watch it and get to know gay couples. do you support marriage equality? I do!!!!
June 1, 2013
Must see! Wonderfully written, acted, and directed. Really akes you think about your civil rights
May 30, 2013
This movie is about DOMA and marriage equality but I think it should be a mainstream movie. Everyone needs to see this movie to understand some of the problems that face the gay community. I took a very cynical friend with me and she was crying as much as I was. It's well written and newcomer, David Ross does an excellent job in his role as Jack, a man who just wants to find love and and help raise his niece.
May 12, 2013
This may be a gay themed movie but it gives an excellent account how laws can effect all of us. Not just gay... A must see for everyone in a bi-national relationship..
March 26, 2013
great movie centering on the issues in the united states at the moment regarding same sex marriage.