I Don't Want to Be Born (The Baby)(It Lives Within Her)(Sharon's Baby) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Don't Want to Be Born (The Baby)(It Lives Within Her)(Sharon's Baby) Reviews

½ April 25, 2016
Joan Collins and Ralph Bates (playing Italian ... with a thick accent) have a monstrously big baby that misbehaves violently ... biting Collins in the face when they are still in the hospital, throwing stuff around his nursery, etc. Collins, a former stripper, tells her stripper friend Caroline Munro (who sadly does not strip in this film), how a midget whose sexual advances she spurned cursed her to have a monster baby. The devil may also be involved somehow ... I don't know. With this crazy plot, a cast that also includes Donald Pleasence as Collins' doctor and John Steiner as a strip club owner, and a director who made a couple of smashing Hammer films, I really wanted to like this film. For a while I did, as I let the sleazy craziness wash over me and studiously ignored the shoddy awfulness of the whole thing. Sadly, I could not continue turning a blind eye to just how bloody awful this is. When the baby apparently jumps into a tree, ties a rope into a noose and hangs Bates to death ... no, just ... no. Hilary Mason, the blind sister from "Don't Look Now" is also present ... so much potential wasted.
January 27, 2013
What a total bore. I only watched because the synopsis was "a stripper thwarts the advances of a dwarf and winds up with a baby possessed by the devil." What I should have realized is that in 1975 if it isn't the Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, or The Omen, and it is about devil births that it probably blows.
June 12, 2012
While Flixter offers a variety of titles above, I actually saw this film under the name "The Devil Within Her." A film that looks forward to movies like It's Alive and, more recently, Grace, I Don't Want to be Born follows Joan Collins, a former stripper, who refuses the advances of her dwarf co-star and gives birth to a monstrous baby. Never really that great, scary, or gruesome, this British horror film, which features Donald Pleasance from Halloween fame, is still an entertaining if somewhat tame evil baby movie that fans of 70s Euro-horror will probably enjoy but which most others will just probably find boring.
½ April 19, 2012
½ April 2, 2012
Absolutely awful, with a script worse than its concept. When the concept is a murderous child cursed by a rapist dwarf, that's saying something.
½ April 12, 2011
Well, it's very daft - but that's part of why I enjoyed it, I think.
November 15, 2010
Joan Collins has made a lot of bad films throughout her long career, but this one is probably the worst. Okay, true, THE STUD and THE BITCH are probably worse, but at least they were supposed to be campy; this ROSEMARY'S BABY ripoff is just atrocious. The cast must've been desperate for the work!
March 15, 2010
Tedious, lurid horror film that cobbles together parts of DON'T LOOK NOW, THE EXORCIST and THE MUTATIONS, somehow expecting a film to coalesce. This is ripe, wrong-headed and often ridiculous. Unconvincing, ludicrous scenes like Gino being nabbed by a flying noose; endless extraneous shots of London landmarks and the 'demonic' baby looking frankly bemused. Joan Collins and the rest go through the motions. Donald Pleasence turns up as balding authority figure, surprise. Of occasional interest is a relatively lively Ron Grainer score, engaging enough for those into their 70s soundtrack music. Terrible film, mind - I nearly nodded off; never the good sign of a good slasher pic. Or indeed a 1970s British horror - I usually never tire of watching the damn things!
August 23, 2009
Don't piss off any midgets because they'll put a curse on you that will cause you to have an evil baby. Under all the titles this movies is known under I saw it under the title 'The Monster' The main problem w/ this evil child plot is the kid is too young; evil from birth. Most of the killings are implausible. @ least Joan Collins knew not to breast feed; that little bastard would gnaw her tit right off
April 3, 2009
This film is hilariously bad. Worth seeing for this reason alone. Cue lots of actors declaring "ooh, what a big baby!" when it clearly isn't (large babies apparently not available for casting) and lots of very silly deaths and incidents we never actually see.

Utter drivel, but entertainingly so. Watch it once.
½ March 29, 2009
camp trashy and kinda hideous he he he he but well worth a watch. Eileen atkins was truly awful as the italien nun
½ March 28, 2009
Cheap English horror with nothing to recommend it.

*****SPOILER*****

Not off to a winner as it begins with the 'demon child's' birth!
March 25, 2009
wow what a good movie from the 1970's to watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie,...i think that joan collins, donald pleasence, eileen atkins, ralph bates, hilary mason, caroline munro play good parts throughout this movie...i think that joan collins was really good as lucy...i think that the director of this Horror movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...its a good 1970's movie 2 watch
March 23, 2009
It's not a great Satanic movie, lots of scenes are not scary as the intention was but are laughable nowadays and Joan Collins overacts throughout. The sum of these parts though do give it some cult value.
½ March 23, 2009
Great horror movie from 1976. Joan Collins plays a stripper called Lucy who rejects the sexual advances of a dancing dwarf,in anger he puts an "you will have a big evil baby" curse on her. Lucy then meets an Italian man,they get married,she stops stripping and they have a baby boy called Nicholas who attacks and kills everyone he comes into contact with.
½ March 22, 2009
After The Omen, there were bound to be similar films, but for the sheer fun of it, please catch this one if you can. It is a truly woeful film with a surprisingly impressive cast, yet utterly inept, badly casted, acted, directed and written. Not shown above but it is just 90 minutes, yet you may laugh at most of it.