I Downloaded A Ghost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Downloaded A Ghost Reviews

November 1, 2015
Defently for Kids ...for sure the jokes are ! Good enough for a movie from a moviebox with 10 films bought for 1 euro 70 ! SOMDVD
June 22, 2014
so bad it hurts but i still love ellen page
March 13, 2014
Another bad made for cable feel good film in the wrong year.
March 13, 2014
I didn't like this movie... has a lot of wrong things that I saw... !
March 13, 2014
My teenie days are done. Although I'm not sure if I would have liked this as a youngster. Good to see that Page's career has moved into a successful direction.
March 13, 2014
When this was released back in `04, I would watch it each time it showed on Disney Channel. I wish I had the DVD!
½ March 13, 2014
Yeah, I just watched this because Ellen Page was in it. Obviously it's one of her very early roles. The movie is a generic cheesy kid's film. Not terrible, but not memorable.
Umm...not bad if you are 8. Ellen Page @ 14
March 13, 2014
Yeah, I know it's a cheesy kids movie, but I'm a huge Ellen Page fan so I had to watch it. She's adorable as always and it's surprisingly not too bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though, unless you're an Ellen Page fanatic. You might be too old for this kind of stuff.
½ March 13, 2014
A cute kids movie, but not exactly an award winner. Extra "lol" factor for having a young-ish Ellen Page as the main character.
½ March 13, 2014
The local library is a wonderful thing. You can browse around as long as you want, read anything there and even check out the movie collection as you find some awesome stuff there. And it's free for a few days. So of course, you are going to find some weird things afoot, like some kids movie, possibly Canadian, staring Ellen Page. That Oscar-nominated actress Ellen Page. This is a world where up is down, black is white, left is right and Uwe Boll makes good movies. This is a world I don't want to live in so with my last breath I curse I Downloaded a Ghost.

*jumps out of a window*

Ah nuts, I knew I should have jumped more than one story. Well, guess I have to review this since I'm still alive. Alright, Ellen Page is Stella Blackstone who's a horror freak with her functioning horror costumes and horror animatronics with her best friend Albert, boy genius, wants a real ghost for her haunted house and she goes to the INTERNET to download one...apparently the site uses SCIENCE to do so. Meanwhile, a hapless cab-driver gets mixed up in a robbery with a golden cat and two hapless burglars. In some confusion he gets hit by a bus and dies but wait, the internet chooses him to be the ghost to be downloaded. So now Stella and cabbie have to help each other scare people in that haunted house, find that golden cat and get some vengeance.

Well, it's a kids movie so my expectations are obviously going to lower than a real movie using the same premise. However, there is one expectation that I will always have no matter what, and I want to be entertained. This doesn't happen. Nope, here I am bored with the movie showcasing unfunny slapstick and not being consistent with how the ghost interacts with things. He can touch things or go through them. He can hide or be seen whenever people feel like seeing him. But there's one moment that I just hate. He hides when the kids hide! He shouldn't have to be hiding or allowing Ellen Page to disguise herself to hunt for clues to find the cat. He's a ghost, he can do anything like not allowing kids to do some stupid stuff. Yeah, I know what I said about lowered expectations but they still do exist and I'm angry when they're still not met.

Alright, how about Ellen Page. Does she rise above the material like she did in Juno and X-Men 3 or even give a completely awesome performance like in Hard Candy? Of course not, but she does show a glimmer of potential that would lead her into the world of critical acclaim. However, that potential is buried under poor delivery and poor body language. It's almost hard to believe that her and the Oscar-nominated Ellen Page are the same person. The only other name here is Carlos Alazraqui...you know who he is if you don't know the name. He's Mr. Crocker from Fairly Odd Parents, Rocko from Rocko's Modern Life, Winslow from Catdog and The Taco Bell dog among one of the cops in Reno 911! He really shouldn't do live-action cause I like his voices...except Winslow but that's cause the character was a mean, sadistic asshole that ruined the show through little fault from Carlos. Here, it's like Robin Williams in Aladdin. He does funny voices that might be funny when you're a kid but you don't laugh at them when you grow up. Except a reference to Speed which is cute and got a laugh.

So will real kids, the target audience, like this movie? I don't think so. I mean I know they don't care about such fancy things like plot holes, obvious use of Chekov's Gun or being entertained. They'll probably like Alazraqui cause he does funny voices and makes funny faces. They'll probably have some type of crush on Ellen Page, wishing they could help build her haunted house or something that kids like to do. But somehow, I have a feeling that they'll be bored most of the time. But then again, when will you ever see two petite, popular girls both named Jennifer shove people in lockers?
½ March 13, 2014
Pretty good family movie, great storyline and it had it's laughs.
½ September 3, 2013
I thought persons like Ellen downloaded hamburgers and hot dogs and Pizza's, and were so cyber enlightened they didn't want to wait for home delivery. Apparently, the image of the Kentucky fried on the P. C., is supposed to make it magically appear. People should not waste rotten tomatoes which can be thrown, when people are so liberal generally, and also proud and humble about charitable ideas, at the same time.
May 28, 2006
Hokey family film, another one that is really just for kids and that adults will not enjoy much. It is so improbable and silly. like these two 10 year olds could create a haunted house like that...I know it's a family film, but come on.