I Heart Huckabees - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Heart Huckabees Reviews

½ August 6, 2015
Throws a lot of $hit against the wall and misses the wall and hits the audience.
June 28, 2015
With all the praise he has gotten since, David O. Russell has yet to match up to I <3 Huckabees. It is still my favorite film of his. So relatable, so hilarious, so amazingly indulgent. With one of the greatest casts ever assembled. Isabelle Huppert AND Dustin Hoffman? Yes. It's perfection.
June 13, 2015
This pseudo-philosophical film bores the hell out of me. David O. Russell, with all due respect, is way overrated.
½ May 21, 2015
A very interesting and experimental satire which boils down to a battle of philosophies. It doesn't fully work, but it is fun to watch. And, it is brilliantly cast.
½ April 20, 2015
How am I not myself?
February 1, 2015
confusing jumble of a pic didn't care for at all
January 31, 2015
Maybe some people are uncomfortable with or just disinterested in the subject matter or style of the movie, but I think this is David O. Russell's best movie. I loved every minute of it, and felt like the movie did a nice job of using a light touch on heavy ideas, while not detracting from the weight of the material. I give it an A+.
December 29, 2014
Quirky, intelligent, and funny, I <3 I <3 Huckabees.
December 26, 2014
Um sujeito fica impressionado com algumas coincidências que acontecem em sua vida que decide contratar uma dupla de psicólogos que se proclamam "detetives existenciais". Os detetives começam a interferir na vida do sujeito e muita confusão acontece. Uma comédia filosófica bem interessante.
½ December 7, 2014
An existential crisis in itself, the film's embrace of philosophical concepts and thorough dissection of all included characters and themes would be enough to make I Heart Huckabees smart and alluring, but a brilliant, stacked cast, intelligent drama, and a hilarious application of circumstance make this film whimsically introspective like no other.
October 23, 2014
What a mess of a movie.Naomi Watts and Isabelle Huppert are tight as hell.Their bodies I mean.
½ October 9, 2014
"The universe is an infinite sphere whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere."

Having seen David O. Russell's last three films which amassed him several Oscar nominations, I wanted to go back to one of his earlier projects that I missed. I had heard mix reviews about I Heart Huckabees, but I went into it with high expectations considering his latest films blew me away. I was really disappointed with the film despite the talented cast because the premise didn't appeal to me and the comedy didn't work for me either. The film centers on philosophical elements such as existentialism and nihilism, but it is treated in such a way that it seemed as if they were making fun of these theories without actually being funny. It isn't as deep as it is trying to be and despite the style that David O. Russell brings to the film it never managed to engage me. It's as if Russell simply mixed all these philosophical ideas in a blender and the result was I Heart Huckabees. The cast made the film a bit more tolerable considering they all bring their unique charisma, but the story simply didn't work for me. It was an annoying and frustrating experience where some of the comedic moments felt forced and unauthentic. Despite trying to be unique and quirky it was a forgettable experience and by far my least favorite film from David O. Russell. The cast put a lot of energy into the film, but it seems to be directed all over the place and the result was a rather pointless and uneven movie. I can see why some people fell in love with this existential comedy, but it simply didn't appeal to me due to the absurd premise. It is no secret that I'm not a big fan of surreal films, but I have enjoyed some when they at least have some narrative coherence. It wasn't the case with I Heart Huckabees.

The cast in this movie is extremely talented, and we have come to expect this coming from a Russell film because every actor in Hollywood is lining up to work with him. Jason Schwartzman is the sort of actor who is perfect for these quirky films. He is at his best working with Wes Anderson, and here he seems to be playing one of his characters. His chemistry with Jude Law and Mark Wahlberg was great. Perhaps the reason why I didn't hate this film was due to their performance because they elevated the material for me. Wahlberg had the funniest scenes and the only time I laughed in this film was with several of his anger outbursts. Naomi Watts and Lily Tomlin also delivered strong performances. Dustin Hoffman was a bit too quirky and his character was actually inspired by Russell's philosophy professor (Uma Thurman's father). I imagine he was highly exaggerated because his character was really out there. Isla Fisher and Jonah Hill have small cameos in this film and it was sort of a highlight for me to see them on screen. This was Hill's first feature film and no one would have imagined how successful he has become (two Oscar nominations for his recent work). As profound as the film tries to be I really don't feel like it has transcended and it should be ranked amongst Russell's weakest films over time.
September 27, 2014
Here is a comedy that not only provides a whole host of laughs and actually manages to be completely intelligent at the same time. Albert, creator of an organisation trying to protect public open spaces, consults existential detectives about a sheer coincidence of his chance meetings with a apartment doorman. So the investigators begin to destroy his privacy and soon, his entire project is whipped from beneath him, spiraling everyone who encounters Albert into turmoil and despair. I Heart Huckabees is an original, heart warming, hilarious and wonderful watch, The writing, the acting and cinematography are brilliant. The scripting is intelligent and sharp, allowing the actors to really have fun with their characters. The cast are just wonderful, Dustin Hoffman, Jude Law, Lily Tomlin, Jason Swartzman, Mark Wahlberg and Naomi Watts are brilliant, yet again, as with all David O Russell films, we have characters. All unique and as stand out as some of the best ensembles of many a film. Brilliantly acted and wonderfully crafted this is an enjoyable romp, that as fun as it is all comes together quite by the numbers by the finale. In fact the down side of this film is the conveinance of the ending.
½ August 26, 2014
This kind of madness, i like......a quirky comedy that speaks more sense than most.
August 12, 2014
Yeah. Unless you are really into existentialism, I can't see this being interesting. I had this one recommended many times to me. I need to talk to those folks and find out what they were thinking. Ugh.
½ August 5, 2014
I love movies like this that make you think. However I haven't seen it since 2004 so I've forgotten most of it, but I remember really liking it.
August 4, 2014
Let's stop masturbating for a moment about how "philosophical" I Heart Huckabees is; it's a philosophical send-up, not a treatise on existentialism. And in that respect, it's pretty damned clever, and really enjoyable in a sort of half-smirking way. Hoffman and Tomlin are vets in good roles, and coast their way through with garnered ease and Wahlberg frees himself up for the best performance of his career. Take off your elbow-patched tweed jacket and enjoy the self-aware postmodern thing, up till a perfect dada ending.
July 28, 2014
Bak ?uraya. Görüyor musun?
Tamam. Ama aras?na dü?tü?ümüz...
?u parçac?k ve çatlaklar?n aralar?ndaki
çatlaklara bak, hiçbir ?eyin oyuklar?.
- Kesinlikle. Çünkü bu
yukar?da tan?k oldu?um ?ey.
- Yak?ndan bak.
Daha büyük küpleri olu?turan
küçük parçac?klar var.
Evet, ve ba?lant?lar?n
aras?nda daha küçük çatlaklar.
Ve dahada küçük ba?lant?lar.
Daha da küçük çatlaklar.
Evet, ama e?er yeteri kadar yak?ndan
bakarsak, burnumun nerede bitti?ini...
ve bo?lu?un nerede ba?lad???n?
söyleyemezsin, çünkü onlar birle?ik.
- Görüyor musun?
- Ne yani? Bu ?ekilde hiç bir ?ey göremezsin!
- Bir ?ey görüyor musun?
- Hay?r.
July 23, 2014
I'm curious, liked the previews, but have heard mixed reviews
½ July 1, 2014
Russel's weakest film to date.