I Love You Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Love You Again Reviews

½ March 31, 2013
So funny...I loved the bed scene! Her hair was gorgeous too
December 19, 2012
The amnesia story tropes can't help but feel a bit stale in this day and age, but William Powell and Myrna Loy's charming chemistry together manages to elevate this screwball comedy a bit. The picture's no 'Thin Man', but it's still worth a viewing.
½ December 12, 2012
One of Powell & Loy's better non-Thin Man movies. A total blast. Powell is hilarious!
November 25, 2012
William Powell in a bear trap. What's not to like?
November 22, 2012
Terrific William Powell/Myrna Loy romantic comedy about a dull, respectable business man getting hit on the head and the last thing he remembers is 15 yeas before when he was a con man. The newly charming and quick witted Powell is a fish out of water in his own stiff life, pretending he's fine while working the angles on a big oil scam and trying to win back his estranged wife, Loy. Quite different from the "Thin Man" series, with less banter between Powell and Loy, but it's equally charming in it's own way.
November 18, 2012
funny good comedy almost a screwball comedy
September 9, 2012
Not nearly as good as the Thin Man movies.
January 26, 2012
A great romantic comedy with Powell and Loy.
½ January 6, 2012
Some great lines in this one. Funny.
½ September 18, 2011
William Powell gets to have fun in this one as he plays a quiet, cheap milktoast man who gets hit on the head during a cruise and suddenly remembers his real identity--a New York con man. He's had amnesia for 9 years and reawakens to find he's created a whole new identity--and is married to the beautiful Loy who is about to divorce him. Powell immediately moves to con the town while romancing Loy. Look for Little Rascals "Alfalfa" and an unbilled Robert Blake.
July 16, 2011
Very funny and wonderfully acted, this old style comedy brings a simple yet intriguing and charming presence to light and begs the question of how to change when you are perceived as one thing and in actuality are another. Powell's performance as two characters, whether separately or at the same time is wonderful. The film takes us through two character arcs and Myrna Loy is fabulous as she is slowly won over, again! Great thematic elements concerning relationships, honesty, and how it's not too late to really mean something to someone. Builds up marriage and shuts down divorce, it's timeless identity comedy and love story drama.
½ May 10, 2011
These two have such great chemistry! While not my favorite Powell/Loy picture, it was still entertaining. They're still better together than any Tracy/Hepburn or Bogart/Bacall movie. And to see Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer as a straight-laced boy scout was pretty fun too.
½ April 15, 2011
One of my favorite romantic comedy from the 40's, Powell and Loy are frenetic.
September 27, 2010
This is a hilarious screwball comedy with the great Powell and Loy. I really enjoyed it.
July 30, 2010
A comic gem that occasionally is something far more brilliant. When it goes into the mistaken identity type screwball film it's quite effective, but when it's really a psychological film about a man trying to con himself it's incredible. Cross-reference the writings of Stanley Cavell.
½ January 6, 2010
Light as air comedy with the irresistable team of Powell & Loy. Frank McHugh is hysterical as the sham doctor.
July 14, 2009
A little bird on the branch... Tweet, tweet. So good. You guys are too critical. "Libeled Lady", really? Kind of obvious. I do like"My Man Godfrey". This is a classic example of why Loy/Powell are so great. They were never actually dating. Incidentally, I loved "Gilmore Girls" a couple of years back and I feel that they mimicked the dialogue in these movies. So quick and snappy. They were obviously trying for that energy.
½ July 13, 2009
Oh, Hollywood Amnesia!

Just to be clear, there is such thing as amnesia. People really have been known to forget aspects of their pasts. It's just that it doesn't happen the way it does in the movies. In fact, probably the most common sort of amnesia resulting from the ever-popular bump on the head is forgetting just that moment and maybe a little bit leading up to it. Bumping a person on the head a second time doesn't make them remember the first one; it just causes additional brain damage. On the other hand, the dramatic prospects of a person unable to remember their past are pretty exciting to play with. Oh, sure, we don't always use them for dramatic prospects. Comedic ones are pretty popular, too. However, it's not the first instance in which Hollywood gets medicine wrong, and it certainly won't be the last. There are also some actually good versions of the story, and while this one isn't great, it certainly isn't bad, either. It's probably better because it has talented performers in it. That makes a difference.

Larry Wilson (William Powell) is a stuffy, boring man. For reasons I'm not completely sure of, he's on a boat. Someone else, "Doc" Ryan (Frank McHugh), nearly falls overboard because he's staggering drunk. And when I say "nearly," I mean "doesn't because Larry saves him." Only when Larry saves him, he whams his head a good one--and it doesn't cause amnesia. No, this is the mythical second blow, the one that brings his memory back. You see, he isn't Larry Wilson at all. He's George Carey, a crook who was, for many years, living the staid, boring life of a small-town pottery magnate. So staid and boring, in fact, that his lovely wife, Kay (Myrna Loy), is divorcing him because she just can't take it anymore. (What she ever saw in him to marry him in the first place is not revealed.) Only, of course, George isn't going to stand for losing Kay if he can help it, even though he also wants to con someone in the town for as much money as he can manage. The fact that these goals are mutually exclusive should let you know how the story goes.

One of the things I find interesting is that no one seems to notice that George can't do a lot of the things that Larry can. Oh, they notice when George does things that Larry wouldn't, though no one seems half so suspicious of that as they ought--even when the notoriously miserly Larry is suddenly free-spending, paying more for a nightgown for Kay than I would pay for one myself now. And I mean new. I think I could buy three or four new nightgowns for what he pays for hers--and it certainly isn't anything I'd wear to bed, either. When she says the words he used to propose to her, it's just painful. However, she doesn't seem as surprised as I would be that he isn't like that anymore. I mean, let's take a common film character we all know and love. Let's take, oh, Atticus Finch. If Atticus came home from court one day and started sitting around the house in his underwear, you'd notice, right?

Really, that's the problem with movies like this, movies based on radical personality change. You need to leave us with enough reason to like the original/altered personality that you understand why anyone liked that person in the first/second place, unless the whole point is that no one likes the altered/original personality. Larry is boring; all right, that makes him a pillar of the community type. But that doesn't make him the type who could get his hands on Myrna Loy, even [i]Cheaper by the Dozen[/i] Myrna Loy. She likes a little bit of pep. A basic interest factor. Someone who will notice when she's wearing something new for some reason other than to ask how much it cost. She wants someone who will show her a good time. And Larry simply won't. Larry is . . . upstanding. In short, boring. We get that Kay's mother (Nella Walker) never liked him, and that's perfectly reasonable. But why did Kay? Did she think she could graft a personality onto him?

Apparently, Powell and Loy did fourteen movies together. I, of course, am most acquainted with the [i]Thin Man[/i] series; their most famous, especially now, is probably [i]Manhattan Melodrama[/i]. (In fact, that was one of the fun things about [i]Public Enemies[/i]--it was the first time I'd ever seen Myrna's face that big, that luminous. In short, with that quality that only appearing on the big screen really gives someone.) This is a minor one, or as Graham put it, "one that no one's ever heard of." Which, I must admit, I had not. I wasn't even sure what it was about, not least because the library's copy comes in a case that only features the title in a plain font. This is probably because it originally comes from one of those box sets we've discussed before, one of the ones where they don't have as many cases as they do films. But I opened the case, looked at the disc--which has lovely Loy on it--and knew that I'd have to keep it to watch with Graham. Powell and Loy are not a guarantee of quality, but they give a strong presumption.
June 28, 2009
i fuc*in love this movie
May 30, 2009
Finally, this is more like it. This film had great banter between Powell and Loy and is their best film outside the Thin Man movies. I'm looking forward to watching it again so I can piece the story together better.