I, Madman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I, Madman Reviews

October 22, 2016
The movie's story wasn't all that interesting to me but The movie has some really dope and creepy FX that made it worth watching.
September 7, 2016
This is truly one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. I'm a horror junkie and have become rather jaded even with some of the higest rated releases, yet this one stands the test of time in my opinion. It's as scary now as it was when it hit the theatres in 1989. It's hard to find but worth the effort. It doesn't hurt that it stars Clayton Rohner, one of my favorite actors who is often underated and overlooked.
March 1, 2016
Feels like an extra-long episode of Tales from the Crypt, but doesn't drag at all. If you like that sorta stuff, you'll love this. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this one before, should be a cult classic.
½ February 28, 2016
Pretty cool little horror flick. Pretty fresh for the time. It was fun.
November 30, 2015
Superbly enjoyable cheesy horror flick that is equal parts ridiculous and fun. Great performances, a cool killer, and b movie special effects make this film as pulpy as the shock thriller novellas Jenny Wright reads throughout
½ October 4, 2015
I, Madman is one of those low budget horror flicks that flew under the radar when first released, but has gained a nice cult following through the years. What makes the film stand out is the smart premise and willingness to try new things, even if they don't always work. It revolves around a woman who becomes obsessed with a forgotten pulp horror writer, and the more she reads his work, the more life begins to imitate art as events in the book begin happening all around her. It blends fantasy and reality quite well, which gives the film a great surreal quality. I, Madman has many influences...monster movies, slashers and even film noir. The script could've used a little work and there are some minor pacing issues, but overall this is a great, atmospheric horror flick that most people probably haven't seen, or even heard of. If you're in the mood for something a little different, definitely check this one out.
October 24, 2014
An ok slasher flick from the dir of the gate.
September 6, 2014
An entertaining late-80s slasher film with elements of the supernatural, I, Madman concerns a woman whose passion for horror novels takes a dark turn when the events she reads about in an obscure novel begin to occur in reality.
June 18, 2014
Reading violent books causes severe damage to the mind. Watch violent movies instead--One of a Kind Supernatural Slasher Flick!!
January 15, 2014
This film uses the same premise as Fritz Leiber's novella "Our Lady of Darkness" and as such is a little bit obscure for mainstream audiences, even horror audiences. However, the concept, that book characters can come back to life - to the extent of resurrecting a psychotic black magician serial killer - is well worth the time to watch.

Jenny Wright is at her fetching best in the main role, and her relationship with her cop boyfriend is well sketched. The horror and gore is spectacularly nasty whilst also being understated.
February 3, 2013
Am I living the story or is it just my imagination type of movie that has been better in other movies like In the Mouth of Madness. This was one that I had always wanted to see and watched it in the late night hour. While it is pretty ho hum with pacing, the story within the story does provide some suspense. Oh and the makeup of the guy in the story is pretty effective. What ever happened to Jenny Wright?
January 31, 2013
Virginia is thrust into a world of murder and mayhem where the lines of fantasy and reality begin to blur as she gets deeper and deeper into a chilling new novel: I, Madman. What she doesn't realize is that the further she reads, the closer she comes to bringing the nefarious Dr. Alan Kessler to life! Tibor Takcs tells this thrilling tale of mystery and suspense with a sharp wit and a classy sense of style. Takcs dresses the film in the same lavish colors and stylized characters that you would find in your average pulp fiction magazine from the 40's and 50's, but mixes in the dark, suffocating mood of a Film Noir. The subtle shift in surroundings as Virginia slips in and out of her own fantasy world are gradual enough that we, the viewers, have trouble deciphering fact from fiction. Jenny Wright is given many opportunities to shine as she drifts between a number of different personalities that occur throughout the novel. Visual effects designer Randall William Cook also takes a playful stab at acting as our eccentric villain, whose undying love for sweet Virginia drives him to slice off his mangled facial features and replace them with those of his victims. I, MADMAN is a clever entry in the Suspense/Thriller genre that will hold a certain appeal to fans of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA or IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS.
December 1, 2012
You want a weird B-movie? Look no further.
August 8, 2012
Unique storyline with some random deaths. not too bad for a casual horror film marathon
July 18, 2011
"I, Madman" or "Hardcover" as it is known as in Europe is a good, but sadly forgotten 80's type horror movie. Virginia (Jenny Wright) loves reading horror novels and comes across one titled 'I, Madman'. In the book a insane doctor named Malcolm Brand (Randall William Cook) kills people and take their body parts to later attach them to himself in order to look pretty for a girl he likes. While reading, Virginia discovers that the book is a non-fiction biography and that a series of murders has happened in her city are connected to the book. "I, Madman" has a good story and creepy atmosphere and is definitely worth checking out for horror fans. If there is a horror movie that could use a good remake it's this one, I'm positive that it can be done better.
½ June 25, 2011
Mysig och trevlig rysare, tror Krister Bergman skulle uppskatta den här, om du läser det här Krister så skicka mig ett PM så postar jag filmen till dig.
½ March 21, 2011
Always love this sorta stories. A character comes alive from a book and starts a killing rampage in the 'real' world! Marvelous idea :)
March 19, 2011
I love the trailer but this actual film is up in the air(lol)........