I Married an Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Married an Angel Reviews

May 26, 2015
Bizarre MacDonald-Eddy MGM musical (their last one together) is a bowdlerized adaptation of the Rodgers and Hart stage hit; the film retains the title song and "Spring Is Here."
½ January 16, 2014
last pairing of macdonald and eddy
September 25, 2011
It's a musical showcase,. It has a great cast of characters. The musical numbers are fantastic and the comedic moments made me chuckle!
March 21, 2010
Although I MARRIED AN ANGEL was adapted from a successful Broadway musical - it flopped at the box office and marked the end of the string of films which co-starred Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. It was reasoned that movie audiences by this time wanted to hear a more contemporary sound rather than the operatic style belted out by the dynamic duo. It's also reasoned that the Hayes Codes caused the filmmakers to make considerable cuts and tone down some of the more "racier" elements of the Broadway play - which is somewhat of a cop out methinks because there were some excellent films made in spite of the Hayes codes (THE LADY EVE for example).

I think the elements were certainly in place for this to have been a potentially very good film - but the execution just wasn't quite there. Something about the timing or rhythm to the comedy just feels off overall. It could be the editing - especially noticeable in the early scenes when footage of lowly bank secretary, Anna Zador (MacDonald) and playboy bank president, Willie Palaffi (Eddy) are spliced together to make it seem that they are in the scene together when you know they were not.

The sets and costumes are as elaborate as any of the previous MacDonald/Eddy outings.
The costume ball scene is very well staged and MGM spared no expenses in that regard. The slinky costumes worn by actresses Mona Maris, Janis Carter and Inez Cooper during their musical number - "Tira Lira La" are especially sexy (um, what Hayes codes?...I told you it could be done, didn't I?)

I though there was a nice fantasy sequence as the angel Brigitta (also played by MacDonald) descends from heaven and all the flowers and some of the furniture in the room bows down to her.

It was also fun to watch Jeanette MacDonald channel Marlene Deitrich during another musical number later in the film.

The film also seemed that it could have been a throwback to Jeanette MacDonald's earlier films directed by Ernst Lubitsch (ONE HOUR WITH YOU or THE LOVE PARADE.) No, I MARRIED AN ANGEL doesn't touch the greatness of those two earlier films (and which made me a big fan of Jeanette MacDonald btw) but the POTENTIAL was there.
( sigh ) Too bad.
July 30, 2009
This movie was okay because of the handsome Nelson Eddy but I didn't like the story that much. The whole assistant who loves her boss aspect of the story is okay, I've seen that before, but what I didn't like was that he was dreaming the whole movie. It took away from the movie that everything after the first 30 minutes was just a dream of his. Some of the musical numbers were good, the actors sing beautifully. Even with its good parts, I just didn't like the direction the story went into. Surprised that I was disappointed it being deemed a classic.
July 30, 2009
July 28, 2009
absolutely a cute movie.
December 25, 2008
Moves slowly and doesn't make sense really. But there are a few good parts (namely Horton, and some others) and the basic plot idea is good.
December 11, 2007
I read about this movie in a fascinating womanhood resource list. I want to watch this one too.. Anybody knows where to find it in jakarta? ha3
½ September 8, 2007
This is one of those movies that its so bad its good!
July 16, 2007