I Never Promised You A Rose Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden Reviews

½ April 23, 2013
An autobiographical tale of attempted suicide, horrific schizophrenia, and frequent trips to a rather unpleasant mental hospital. and another example of the song being better or lasting longer than the movie
February 8, 2011
Well-made but, like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, not really my thing.
January 5, 2011
A beautiful, crazy, dramatic film, and I really loved it.
½ April 19, 2010
**1/2 (out of four)

A very strong and engaging performance from Kathleen Quinlan can't quite make this tough and over-the-top drama worthwhile. It suffers from the directors attempts to overdo everything. It could have used a little subtlity.

Quinlan plays Deborah, a 16 year old girl who is schizophrenic. Her parents move her into a hospital where her fantasy world comes alive. Her encounters with the other patients are horrifying. Only her doctor (Bibi Andersson) can calm her.
½ April 4, 2010
Good portrayal of how a schizophrenic person sees and feels. After I got over the dated picture and sound quality (of course), I found the characters in it interesting, and the portrayal of mental patients more realistic than what a lot of modern movies might lead you to think.
November 9, 2009
saw this film in the'70s. if you want to know what goes on in the mind of a schizo, then, this maybe the movie you should see.
½ June 29, 2009
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (1976, dir. Anthony Page) 4/10

Based on Joanne Greenberg's autobiographical novel of the same name, this is a film you watch from the beginning thinking you've already seen it (and you have). A low-rent version of 'Sybil' meets 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' (whose success coincidentally allowed for the greenlighting of the funding for this piece of trash). If this was the first film I'd seen with Kathleen Quinlan, I might never have seen another one of her works. What a highly annoying, self-indulgent, over-the-top performance. And poor Bibi Andersson looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.

It's an essentially negligible experience except for some, at times, fascinating supporting performances, particularly those of Diane Varsi, Signe Hasso, Sylvia Sydney (an actress I never thought I'd see punched ruthlessly in the stomach) and Susan Tyrell, whose mid-film show-stopper should most definitely be added to the musical version, if there ever is one.
½ December 22, 2008
The female version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, except more patient on the couch exploring her issues with a nicer female doctor scenes. Roger Corman produced this psychological illness drama.
May 5, 2008
I love movies set in mental institutions, and this really showed the tragic intricacies of mental illness. Really really well done.
½ March 27, 2008
i like seeing movies about crazy people. this one's a little rough.
February 4, 2008
This movie scared the shit out of me as a kid. Mental illness and surreal chanting....it's kind of afterschool program-ish now that I look back.
February 1, 2008
Long time since I saw this and would like to see again. Don't remember much about it.
½ October 30, 2007
The main actress in this film is teriffic! I loved her performance. I loved the direction, and how crazy the movie felt. I can't believe the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo were in there too! It was so cool!
October 25, 2007
Saw this movie when I was 19, didn't really know much about mental illness and institutions, it haunted me for a long time
October 4, 2007
Good intentions and sensationalism compete for viewer interest in this filmization of Hanna Green's novel about the tentative recovery of a psychotic young woman.
September 26, 2007
This movie was great. I'm glad I watched it.
September 6, 2007
Uhhh... this is the PG version of the book, and not really that enjoyable at all. Nothing compared to the smart, mean, funny book it's based upon.
August 29, 2007
An interesting movie, but I felt the terror of schizophrenia was not translatable to film.
June 23, 2007
Very well acted, truly disturbing. A classic!
June 5, 2007
it is the story of a young woman's journey through schizophrenia. simply amazing.