I Remember Mama Reviews

• May 13, 2019

No sentiment whatsoever in this creakly old tale. These tales should be told for warmth and for remembrances of childhoods long forgotten. This film misses on almost every track. It is OK if you just want filler, but why go back to these old behemoths when there are so many newer vehicles that are done so much better?

• Nov 12, 2017

I Remember Mama is an amazing film. It is about the ups and downs of a Norwegian immigrant family, circa 1910. Irene Dunne and Barbara Bel Geddes give excellent performances. George Steven did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. I Remember Mama is a must see.

• Jul 14, 2017

A wonderful example of what Hollywood can do.

A wonderful example of what Hollywood can do.

• May 09, 2015

Flawless, heartrending performance by Irene Dunne; beautiful story, excellent screenplay. Love, love, love it!

• Sep 26, 2014

I must say that I think Ruby's review of this film is right on the money. I had anticipated a masterpiece after reading so many good things about it. Instead I met with nauseating over sentimentality and some of the worst accents I've ever heard. I'm with you Ruby, give me the Curtiz' "Life With Father" over this mush and gush every time.

John B Super Reviewer
    Oct 23, 2013

You have to love this Irene Dunne performance here even if it borders on the overly sentimental. You hope that you have people around you that are as interesting as those who stop in to visit this San Francisco family.

• Oct 14, 2013

Wonderfully endearing. I don't usually like this kind of story that spreads over many years, but the characters here are so great that I am happy to make an exception.

• Aug 10, 2013

Another lost review flixster.

Another lost review flixster.

• Feb 18, 2013

Classic George Stevens drama about a Scandanavian family living in San Francisco in the early 1900's....if you liked "Its a Wonderful Life", you'll probably enjoy this film.

• Feb 13, 2013

Self-sacrificing matriarch leads immigrant family to prosperity--The family goes as Mama goes!!