I See a Dark Stranger (The Adventuress) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I See a Dark Stranger (The Adventuress) Reviews

½ November 17, 2014
I See A Dark Stranger (1945)

Sidney Gilliat, Wolfgang Wilhelm and Frank Launder made a great post-war/spy movie that also pokes a little fun at the Irish.

A head-strong young Irish woman Bridie Quilty (Deborah Kerr), growing up hearing the stories of the Irish Republican Army, leaves town to join the IRA herself. She meets up with a Nazi spy, Miller (Raymond Huntley) who has her doing reconnaissance work to break a fellow spy out of prison, who has valuable plans of the D Day invasion. She also needs to occupy the time of a British soldier, David Bynes (Trevor Howard) who is suspected of being military intelligence.

Lt. Bynes is actually in town doing his thesis about Cromwell, which pushes Bridie's Anti-British buttons to the max. Somehow, they are attracted to each other through all of their travels.
½ April 10, 2013
Quite good - intriguing and amusing. Starts slowly, and without any apparent focus, but gets better and better as it goes on.

Initially looks like a weak political-drama, but then evolves into an intriguing spy drama, plus develops a comedic side (in some ways parodying the spy drama genre). After moving slowly in the first half, the second half rollicks along.

Solid performance by Deborah Kerr in the lead role. Good support from Trevor Howard. The best comedic moments involve Garry Marsh and Tom Macaulay.
½ February 3, 2013
An Irish Lass Who Takes Care of Cromwell--Post-war war film that casts a spell!!
½ October 21, 2010
Not great, but a good spy movie with romance and danger, but not enough excitement.
½ August 6, 2010
stubborn and idealist till the end...

"We all lose something as we grow older, but if we are very lucky, we gain a little wisdom on the way.
"It's not what you are doing in the army that counts, it's what you're noticed doing."
½ August 28, 2009
This is an amazing example of film noir that also manages to include a good deal of humour - ironically about times and events that were not particularly humorous. Debora Kerr's character is a beautiful and somewhat naive young lady - but decidedly full of spirit and operating on the philosophy that 'my enemy's enemy must be my friend'. The film is supported with the introduction of a wide range of characters as the film unfolds. The locations were also amazing. I thought this film was amazing and a must see.
May 18, 2008
Noir spy farce of a young woman's romantic pretensions towards IRA membership. The ending is a bit of a mess: coffin full of clocks, slapstick fistfight, etc.
February 9, 2008
Very clever film with great suspense, drama, and humor. An absolutely flawless performance from a young Deborah Kerr. The plotline and movie itself started off strong then got a little too comedic toward the end, but the chemistry between the two leads and Kerr's inner monologue made it worthwhile.
½ February 2, 2008
I enjoyed it. Kerr is very young here. The humor is very much for those from Great Britain.
½ January 31, 2008
A real pleasure to watch...and Terrence Howard is dreamy!
January 2, 2008
Immense post-war classic from Launder and Gilliat. Tense drama with plenty of wit to spare. Top performances from Deborah Kerr and Trevor Howard.
December 29, 2007
An Irish young woman (Deborah Kerr) has been brought up in such passionate hate for all things English that she tries to join IRA and ends up becoming a Nazi spy in a naive and very funny process. Plus, Deborah Kerr is delicious as Bridie Quilt.