I Served the King of England - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Served the King of England Reviews

½ September 3, 2016
Nothing compares to the dry slow magic of Closely Observed Trains, or perhaps nothing compared with its effect on first watching amidst a sea of lesser films when it came out. This is a worthy follow-up from the same mind, cast across a long timespan and with colour and a delicious wickedness which was not open to the director when he was younger and in those times. Czech films are not simple, Czech minds are not simple, this is a crowning example of Czech humour, dark and light in the same moments..
August 4, 2014
Visually sumptuous, splendidly acted, and thoughtful all at once. How sad that "Grand Budapest Hotel" gets so bally-hooed while this far more interesting work remains largely unknown to N American audiences.
February 8, 2013
Not only is this a hilarious adaption of the novel by Bohumil Hrabal, but it has great actors, cinematography and a great musical score. The story takes place during the rise of Hitler, but don't let that turn you off as there are lessons to be learned from this horrible time in modern history.
January 13, 2013
Enchanting beautifully filmed movie that seems lighthearted in tone, but really carries a very profound message about life. The acting by Ivan Barnev is superb and the Busby Burkely meal serving scene blew my mind. I loved it!
½ December 11, 2012
An short old man wryly recalls his days of short wily youth when he dreamed of making the big time come hell or high water, only there was that damn war standing in his way ... World War ll, dammit. Set mainly in Prague, the Paris of Eastern Europe, this comic tale of accidentally acquiring wisdom while actually trying to acquire wealth doesn't take itself too seriously and there's plenty of beauty to while that wisdom acquisition time away. Loved it, but its not for the kiddies though.
October 28, 2012
Great cinematography .. Jaromír Sofr he is my teacher at school .. great cinematographers are horrible teachers !
½ May 7, 2012
A delightfully absurd movie, really enjoyable.
½ April 25, 2012
Much different than I expected it to be. I guess I should have looked closer at the poster for this one. ahaha, it was quite thee amusing and heartfelt dramedy with some erotic elements. Going into it not knowing anything is best. I definitely enjoyed this one quite a bit.
April 19, 2012
I adore this movie. I loved it after watching only 10 minutes! It's very well written, acted, directed. Is has everything - comedy, drama, romance, adventure and whatnot. It's incredibly funny, sweet, smart, moving! Magnificent. What a movie.
½ January 19, 2012
A gem! If you liked Darjeeling Limited or O' Brother Where Art Thou you will probably like this one. Better than Closely Watched Trains.
November 29, 2011
I want to see this

One!!?@&$"'

#%^++=?!'
November 24, 2011
Jiri Menzel has directed a flamboyant tragicomedy about a Czech waiter who lives through WWII, observing the Nazi occupation up close. The movie is a schizophrenic construct, mostly molded from levity but in its core carrying a dark insight into life in a totalitarian state.

âI Served the King of Englandâ� is memorable, but it doesn't quite succeed in the difficult task of balancing all of its very different components together. The film ends up seeming a bit too aimless and intangible to really have a strong effect.
November 7, 2011
Divertida, pícara y muy humana. Un pedazo de la historia checa desde los ojos de un personaje que mantiene intacta su esperanza.
October 28, 2011
Nazi Europe Provides the Background for this Hilarious Story of a Man surviving by his Wits as a Servant to the Upper Classes during WWII. Trying to become a man of Affluence himself, his plan Backfires when the Soviets Invade & Imprison Him. A Sweet, Charming, Amusing tale, of a man whose only crime in the world was trying to be rich, even if it means working at a Nazi Breeding Center! A Film that ONLY A European Filmmaker has the Heart, Wit, and Intelligence to make, This is European Cinema In all its Shining Eccentric Talent !
September 25, 2011
in this chech movie a man is released from prison and recalls his life through flashbacks and in turn history of that area pre WWII to the present. the man who plays the older version of the main character has amazing steel blue eyes that make me think of armin mueller-stahl.
ElCochran90
August 6, 2011
Stupendous satire of the bourgeois class with moments of hilarious lunacy and a decent number of sequences of lascivious delicacies. Forty years separate this modern, shining gem from Menzel's masterpiece: the definer of the Czech New Wave. This time, the roots of the modern middle class are explored, wonderfully juxtaposing the visual style of classic cinema that evokes that very characteristic, nostalgic sensation in avid film followers. Sometimes Buñuelesque, sometimes Chaplinesque, the "King of England" is still sitting in his throne, watching all over us while we (conscientiously?) are drowned each time more in banal ambitions, including the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" concept...

84/100
DrStrangeblog
½ July 18, 2011
Starts off as an amusingly low-key comedy which surprisingly turns into a history lesson about the German annexation of Czechoslovakia and the effect on its citizens during WW II. Some fine acting and injected with period flavor, the film follows the life of a poor waiter who dreams of owning his own hotel. In the opening shot, we see him in his 60's and getting released from prison after serving 14 years and 7 months of a 15 year sentence (getting out early for good behavior, ha) and find out how he got there. Interesting and with a share of charming & poignant moments sprinkled with substantial and unexpected nudity, all photographed with an artistic lens. This film won't amaze you but ought to hold your interest to the duration.
July 6, 2011
Faithful to the tone of the book, but the movie still can't touch it.
½ July 5, 2011
Typical Czech satire. Almost TOO typical... probably the least sympathetic protagonist I've seen in a long time.
April 15, 2011
A bitter-sweet taste given by the face of mature if not old men in front of women beauty, and the visible and overwhelming nostalgia this beauty vivify in their mind.