I Spit On Your Grave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Spit On Your Grave Reviews

May 28, 2017
Most movies bore me. Grave kept my undivided attention, I was jumping up and cheering through the revenge scenes. Very well made. It's unrated for a reason, no one under 18 should see it because of the rape scene.
½ May 26, 2017
The only torture movie (very different than the original in that regard) where the torture is kind of satisfying. Still an extremely flawed movie, as was the origina. But the revenge story, punishing rapists, commenting on rape culture, all of this has it's place.
½ May 24, 2017
A rare remake that improves upon the blandness of the original, I Spit on Your Grave overcomes its logic deficiencies and structural flaws with breathlessly constructed kills and a refreshing feminist perspective that should win over all but the most apathetic and liberal genre buffs and gore whores.
February 13, 2017
Sick and twisted, I love it.
January 24, 2017
Harsh scenes followed by brutal revenge! What more can you ask for??
½ January 7, 2017
Horrible and stupid!
December 21, 2016
This movie is NOT for the faint of heart... Story of intense revenge. For sure a "Karma is a ****" story. A scene or 2 was tough to watch for obvious reasons of those that read the synopsis of the flick. Overall average because it'll leave an impression on you that is soon forgettable.
December 7, 2016
Not so much a horror as just horrific. This movie contains one of the most brutal rape scenes that I can remember. But, as a thriller, there are very few chills before it happened. The second half of the movie is the woman's revenge, which are quite inventive, but completely unbelievable. One question, how is a woman who looks like she weighs 100lbs move these large men into their torture positions???
½ December 5, 2016
Revenge is a dish best served cold, but this flawed movie spends way too much time showing the protagonist's horrendous suffering and humiliation in an overlong (and graphic) setup before finally moving on to the entertaining part where we get to see her actions against her aggressors.
½ October 30, 2016
The original grindhouse classic is actually a pretty amateurishly and poorly made film, that is really more famous for it's tile and poster than it is an actually good film. This remake takes that same revenge story and gives it a more slick of Hollywood remake, but in the end is just a repellent rape/revenge film that's just about as off putting as the original. This remake is a pretty rough film to take, but that's not what makes it bad. Where the film fails is that while this remake ties to take a more "serious" approach compared to the more cartoony original and it must makes for unpleasant viewing with no real insight or even basic thrills on a simple revenge film level. When the female victim does exact her revenge, the film abandons any pretensions of realism as the female lead suddenly become Jigsaw from the SAW films in her elaborate torture set-ups. Sure, I wasn't expecting art out of this film, but the tone of the film was that this was a serious film and that pretension along with all of the intense violence for the simple sake of violence and no suspense or thrills, made the film just an icky filmgoing experience. The filmmakers here needed to decide here if they wanted to make an over-the-top gory thrill ride like "Hostel" or if they wanted to make a characer driven film about suppressed rage and inherent violent tendencies as in "Straw Dogs" The film probably would have been better off with the former and I'm thinking if this film had been a Platinum Dunes horror remake, this could have been a much better film along with lines of the "Friday the 13th" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remakes. One half a start for casting Tracey Walter in the film.
½ October 24, 2016
This is a slight improvement over the original in some ways, but less daring in others. The rape scenes are way more terrifying, but they aren't quite as graphic as they were in the '78 version. The revenge scenes are way more horrific and graphic, so it lost a bit of realism with those. At least they brought some traditional "over the top" horror elements to it. All in all, this movie is not great, but I think that it will scare both women and rapists alike.
October 13, 2016
loved it, fuck the naysayers!
October 2, 2016
I don't care what people think, I love this movie. It's shocking, gruesome and just flat out an awesome revenge flick. I can see where people don't like it but with horror sometimes you just can't critique them like normal films cuz some are just so over the top. I don't think this one was. I love it and I can't wait to watch the sequels
½ September 22, 2016
The scene at the gas station kind of hints at what's to come. The scenes at the cabin/house are well done and make you a little uncomfortable because you know something bad is about to happen. And, indeed, bad stuff happens but revenge is sweet! Some scenes are graphic and a little hard to watch but overall this is a good movie! 3.5/ 5 OR 7/10
½ September 15, 2016
I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
Starring:Sarah Butler,Daniel Franzese, Chad Lindberg,Jeff Branson,Rodney Eastman,Andrew Howard, Tracey Walter,Mollie Milligan,and Saxon Sharbino
Directed by Steven R. Monroe
Review
ITS DATE NIGHT
This of course is the remake of the 1970's exploitation film that for reasons I don't know has a cult following.
The Film is about a young female writer who is raped in the woods by a couple of hillbillies and is left for dead. However she survives and exacts her revenge by finding sick,twisted and prevented ways in killing them. And I got to say I hated every second of this film.
In this remake less time is devoted to her revenge then it is too,verbal,psychological and physical abuse.People give this film credit for having great female empowerment. News flash dummies these films are pure exploitation,why do you encourage female empowerment cause she kills them all in the end,bull.They constantly show this poor woman being raped by hillbillies. it's as stupid as it is sickening. The fact that she gets revenge later in the film does not encourage female empowerment,it just shows us that in order for this film to have a plot in motion it had to constantly show a woman being brutally raped and beaten so she could get to them in a way that's just as sick. He is just afraid of them when she kill as she was when they raped her,she kills them out of fear in what sick twisted world could you call that female empowerment. The tagline for the film is just as tasteless,the tagline is ITS DATE NIGHT,its date night,yeah guys I may have never had one but if you take your girlfriend to see this they will break up with you the before it's over. I think a better tagline would have been you will never be more ashamed to have a dick. The shots are lazy and hack,the actors are not only bad but should all be ashamed of themselves as well. Every second,every inch,every frame of this GODAWFUL movie was assening and made me want to shower ten times. All the brutal and rape in the film is completely unnecessary. Why was this movie made? WHEN YOU HAVE TO SHOW A WOMAN BEING RAPED JUST TO MAKE A POINT GO SCREW YOURSELVES AND THIS MOVIE! I give this piece of ass a half out of five.
September 4, 2016
I Spit on Your Grave has its moments, but mostly it's predictable and incoherent stuff.
August 29, 2016
Humiliating and grotesque rape scenes. But the revenge she inflicts on those bastards brings me to my happy place.
½ July 13, 2016
Pretty stupid at times. The rape scene isn't nearly as horrific as the revenge ones; and boy, are they horrific. Acting was mediocre, sometimes laughable.
½ July 13, 2016
Great movie, way better than the original! Inventive and stylistic revenge served on a dirty platter!
July 9, 2016
Im laughing at these people who write such negative comments. Its a controversial franchise for a reason. And um, its a HORROR movie. Its actually extremely popular and it isnt focused on the assault. Its for pure entertainment purposes. And designed to empower the rape victim. She does what normal people cant get away with in society. I own the entire series. The second one is its own film and not thay good. The rapes are completely horrid in the second and by far the worst. As she gets raped more then a few times. The violence and gore is amazing. Two thumbs up and well made. Obviously the actress played a tough role and she was fine with doing so. ITS JUST A MOVIE. I highly recommend this to REAL horror fans.