I Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Spy Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
Betty Thomas delivers a pure formatted product with very little surprises on the directing part. Eddy Murphy's does what he always does, screams and shout and appear full of himself. Owen Wilson is ok but has little material to play with. The film is based on the popular 60's TV show and you can see here and there little nods to it. Unfortunately this is a very forgettable film that could have been made for television. The situations are cliches, the humor a little below the belt and the overall projects feels lazy and unkempt. Definitely not my type of films.
February 19, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
½ December 27, 2016
By watching the series on which this movie is based, Eddie Murphy appears to put himself in Bill Cosby's place more than in Robert Culp's.
September 11, 2016
Criminally underrated comedy that features a hilarious turn from Eddie Murphy.I love Kelly Robinson!
jamrcla
½ July 28, 2016
Another cheap American spy comedy that's not funny, Has poor action scenes and a plot that's been done before too many times, Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson do well working off each other but it's only Eddie that makes this film just about watchable.
January 31, 2016
Flat jokes, clichéd writing, Owen Wilson's cluelessness and Eddie Murphy's obnoxiousness makes I Spy just another crappy tv show adaptation.
October 27, 2015
I spy with my little eye...........a really bad movie.
October 19, 2015
A decent action comedy. I laughed quite a few times and the plot was fast paced. Eddie Murphy made the movie watchable but believing that Owen Wilson is a spy is a stretch.
½ October 9, 2015
Worth watching , fun seeing this one ! SOMDVD
June 18, 2015
Another in the long line of very bad choices/movies Murphy has made.
February 23, 2015
Found this amusing. It put a smile on my face. Storyline was ok but the humour was good.
October 27, 2014
Eddie Murphy's best work.
½ September 27, 2014
Both Wilson and Murphy performed well as partners with some jokes in this good and funny spy film, but doesn't reach up to the success of "Mission: Impossible" (another spy film based on another spy show). (B)

(Full review coming soon)
September 10, 2014
A major stinker. Not that I expected much from a pairing of Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy, but they could have done better than this. (First and only viewing - 9/9/2014)
½ September 1, 2014
Le plus triste avec I Spy, ce n'est pas l'inaptitude de Betty Thomas à faire évoluer deux acteurs aussi drôles et talentueux qu'Owen Wilson et Eddie Murphy, mais plutôt son scénario aussi commun qu'un Steven Seagal auquel on aurait écrit 3 vannes vaguement drôles. Les décors sont laids, les effets spéciaux risibles, la réalisation aux abonnés absents, Famke Janssen encore et toujours nulle, la musique générique et le tout extrêmement cheap. Espion et Demi est assommant de tristesse, dommage pour une comédie d'action burlesque.
½ July 7, 2014
Not a successful film. There is no chemistry between Murphy and Wilson and the plot is insipid, with nothing in common with the TV series. A bomb, not worth watching. Critics were right this time.
June 18, 2014
Alex is a government spy sent out to recover a stolen stealth fighter jet. Unfortunately for him he gets teamed up with pro boxer Kelly Robinson who is a loud mouthed ego maniac and the two of them are totally different from one another but yet have to put their differences aside and recover the jet from an arms dealer named Gundars. The team of Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy I thought was doable and would make a good comedic team. And they do although Murphy at times is way too annoying and some of the jokes fall flat. And they fall flat simply because they try a little too hard to bring the laughs. And there is one or two cheesy parts but other than that it is a rather enjoyable movie. I did like it and was entertained and did find myself laughing more than I thought I would but not quite Eddie Murphey's best attempt.
May 28, 2014
nothing good can be said about this weak action comedy they tried to make Eddie Murphy work but this was wrong casting
May 26, 2014
Call me crazy, but I liked this movie . Eddie Murphy is hilarious! Kelly Robinson liked this movie.