I Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Spy Reviews

September 11, 2016
Criminally underrated comedy that features a hilarious turn from Eddie Murphy.I love Kelly Robinson!
jamrcla
½ July 28, 2016
Another cheap American spy comedy that's not funny, Has poor action scenes and a plot that's been done before too many times, Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson do well working off each other but it's only Eddie that makes this film just about watchable.
January 31, 2016
Flat jokes, clichéd writing, Owen Wilson's cluelessness and Eddie Murphy's obnoxiousness makes I Spy just another crappy tv show adaptation.
October 27, 2015
I spy with my little eye...........a really bad movie.
October 19, 2015
A decent action comedy. I laughed quite a few times and the plot was fast paced. Eddie Murphy made the movie watchable but believing that Owen Wilson is a spy is a stretch.
½ October 9, 2015
Worth watching , fun seeing this one ! SOMDVD
June 18, 2015
Another in the long line of very bad choices/movies Murphy has made.
February 23, 2015
Found this amusing. It put a smile on my face. Storyline was ok but the humour was good.
October 27, 2014
Eddie Murphy's best work.
½ September 27, 2014
Both Wilson and Murphy performed well as partners with some jokes in this good and funny spy film, but doesn't reach up to the success of "Mission: Impossible" (another spy film based on another spy show). (B)

(Full review coming soon)
September 10, 2014
A major stinker. Not that I expected much from a pairing of Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy, but they could have done better than this. (First and only viewing - 9/9/2014)
½ September 1, 2014
Le plus triste avec I Spy, ce n'est pas l'inaptitude de Betty Thomas à faire évoluer deux acteurs aussi drôles et talentueux qu'Owen Wilson et Eddie Murphy, mais plutôt son scénario aussi commun qu'un Steven Seagal auquel on aurait écrit 3 vannes vaguement drôles. Les décors sont laids, les effets spéciaux risibles, la réalisation aux abonnés absents, Famke Janssen encore et toujours nulle, la musique générique et le tout extrêmement cheap. Espion et Demi est assommant de tristesse, dommage pour une comédie d'action burlesque.
½ July 7, 2014
Not a successful film. There is no chemistry between Murphy and Wilson and the plot is insipid, with nothing in common with the TV series. A bomb, not worth watching. Critics were right this time.
June 18, 2014
Alex is a government spy sent out to recover a stolen stealth fighter jet. Unfortunately for him he gets teamed up with pro boxer Kelly Robinson who is a loud mouthed ego maniac and the two of them are totally different from one another but yet have to put their differences aside and recover the jet from an arms dealer named Gundars. The team of Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy I thought was doable and would make a good comedic team. And they do although Murphy at times is way too annoying and some of the jokes fall flat. And they fall flat simply because they try a little too hard to bring the laughs. And there is one or two cheesy parts but other than that it is a rather enjoyable movie. I did like it and was entertained and did find myself laughing more than I thought I would but not quite Eddie Murphey's best attempt.
May 28, 2014
nothing good can be said about this weak action comedy they tried to make Eddie Murphy work but this was wrong casting
May 26, 2014
Call me crazy, but I liked this movie . Eddie Murphy is hilarious! Kelly Robinson liked this movie.
May 5, 2014
This is only a moderately fun buddy-flick that suffers from several flaws. It has an overly predicable plot, lack of character development, poor editing, and bad direction. The cast of Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson holds great potential, but it does not live up to the billing. There is not much meaningful content after it waddles around a clumsy start. With the flip of a switch, two bickering main characters seem to have an instantaneous friendship, which is notably weak character transformation. When it finally gets going, there is only one big chase scene and one typical fight scene. Poof, then the movie ends. The good stuff is completely rushed. It kills any chance of build quality characters, relationships or interesting situations. While it lacks skill, it does strike a good balance of comedy and action. The stars keep it from totally tanking, but even with them, the whole thing comes off as an uneventful movie. It will pass the time, but Murphy and Wilson deserve better material than this and so do the viewers.
½ February 2, 2014
Awful update of the classic Bill Cosby/Robert Culp TV series. Though Eddie Murphy hasn't made anything good in years, I still consider myself a fan, so I went into the film wanting to like it. Owen Wilson displays is usual easy charm, which carries the film more than it deserves, but it's far from enough to make this unfunny and uninteresting comedy/action film worth watching. Famke Janssen recycles her Bond girl creed in this film and Malcolm McDowell plays one of his interchangeable villains. A complete waste of talent.
January 9, 2014
Amusing. Eddie Murphy appears to be channelling The Rock at his heelish best.