I Used To Be Darker Reviews

• May 19, 2015

I couldn't get into it. Mad Boring.

I couldn't get into it. Mad Boring.

• Aug 01, 2014

I rather enjoyed Porterfield Putty Hill and was looking forward to his follow-up but I Used to be Darker just didn't work for me. The story of a runaway teen who escapes across the ocean to hide out with her aunt and cousin, the movie seems at a loss as to what story it wants to tell. It opens with Taryn, the runaway teen, suggesting this is her story but as soon as she arrives in Baltimore, the story veers away from her and focuses on the live of the her aunt, uncle and cousin - a life that is currently experiencing a rocky patch. I Used to be Darker loses focus early on and doesn't manage to recapture it, along the way losing my interest. Good performance from Deragh Campbell in the title role and a surprise appearance early on by Adèle Exarchopoulos but it doesn't live up to the idea. One thing I will give it is that the movie looks fantastic. You can thank Blue Ruin director Jeremy Saulnier for that. He was dp here.

• Apr 27, 2014

Boring as hell, with souless characthers and a solid story.

Boring as hell, with souless characthers and a solid story.

• Feb 14, 2014

Beautifully filmed story of a summer in Baltimore in which a musician wife leaves her husband and daughter. Complacating matters is the arrival of a runaway pregnant teenage neice from Northern Ireland. The leisurely lazy mood of summer masks a time of change for all. Excellent acting and perfect soundtrack.

• Feb 07, 2014

Boring. I gave it 45 minutes and turned it off.

Boring. I gave it 45 minutes and turned it off.

• Feb 06, 2014

Amazing music throughout. Both parents are musicians and great ones at that. Every role was really spot on and amazing. So pleasantly surprised with this one!

• Feb 04, 2014

Maddening boredom with a horrible soundtrack.

Maddening boredom with a horrible soundtrack.

• Jan 27, 2014

Nuanced performances by the non-professional cast and a haunting soundtrack help fill in the deliberate narrative gaps.

• Jan 08, 2014

• Nov 18, 2013

Everyone is in crisis and internally churning. Abby is the only person who seems to try to move forward by painting her room. Yes, the best part of this movie is watching the paint dry.