I Walk the Line Reviews

• Mar 20, 2021

An unhappily married lawman falls in love with the beautiful and seductive daughter of a moonshiner. The moonshiners use his obsession to keep out of trouble and Peck's character is tortured by his inability to do his job. It's a strange setup, but the performances are good. Somehow the the whole thing comes off as vaguely unsatisfying in the end.

• Nov 18, 2020

I Walk the Line starring the late Gregory Peck and Tuesday Weld. Special music here is performed by the late Johnny Cash. Director John Frankenheimer makes a film about walking the fine line between duty, desire, law, violence, honor, and shame. Peck is Sheriff Tawes in rural Tennessee. One day he runs into a teenager named Alma whom he then falls for. Little does he know she's the daughter of a moonshiner. But it makes matters worse and complicated given he already has a child and wife. He has to know where his loyalties lie with his family, his job or with Alma. There's a lot of meandering in this and just a playlist of Cash's best tracks. I didn't really get much from this one.

• May 20, 2020

I felt it was extremely miscast and directed by a person with no real sense of the milieu. Tuesday Weld's performance was strong but she did not look like she belonged in that dump with her shiny blow-dried hair and never a speck of dirt. Gregory Peck just seemed awkward. It was also cliched with the Let Us Now Praise Famous Men Appalachian-style photography, like this is how Hollywood sees the time and place. Charles Durning and Estelle Parsons worked. Gregory Peck says this was the worst picture he ever made and I might agree.

• Apr 09, 2018

A minor gem from John Frakenheimer

A minor gem from John Frakenheimer

• Feb 16, 2017

I Walk the Line was an amazing film. It is about Henry Tawes who is the sheriff in a small town in Tennessee. Gregory Peck and Tuesday Weld give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. John Frankenheimer did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. I Walked the Line is a must see.

• Nov 05, 2016

Gregory Peck stars as a small town sheriff who starts an affair with Tuesday Weld ... the teenage daughter of bootlegger Ralph Meeker. He's dissatisfied with his job and family life with wife Estelle Parsons and wants to run off with Weld, but the whole affair might just be a ploy by Meeker to get Peck to shield him from a revenue agent who's been snooping around town. A film that's a little slower paced than it needs to be, but is well worth a look for it's terrific cast and authentic southern locales. Charles Durning also appears as Peck's sleazy deputy. The film is named after the Johnny Cash song and several Cash songs form the soundtrack.

• Jul 07, 2016

thats right occasionally i gotta look at an old one like htis...i dig Gregory Peck and director John Frankheimer ... now this other one the Gypsy Moths i dont believe i ever seen...but it has Hackman....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064397/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

• Jan 03, 2014

Johnny Cash's song sets the tone. Tuesday and Gregory are subdued and great actors. The atmosphere of the hillbilly town and area is perfect. Great elements make a great movie.

• Mar 12, 2013

at first i was apphrensive about what seems to me to be a more low budget movie but what drew me in was gregory peck and must say the story is solid and i was pleasantly surpised.

• Aug 28, 2012

Just amazing and honest and heartbreaking. How is this not universally watched and lauded?