I, Zombie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I, Zombie Reviews

May 6, 2013
The tough life and loves of being a Zombie
November 11, 2012
Well-intentioned, low-budget look at 'life' as a zombie. It's clunky and wordy, and looks like something you made with your friends at school, but it has a quality that just about manages to shine through. Great wank scene.
½ March 3, 2011
zombies can't masturbate. interesting departure from the typical zack piece though.
½ December 15, 2009
I, Zombie makes an early stab at a theme that would be quite popular in the most recent slate of zombie films. It's most clear descendants are movies like American Zombie, Zombie Honeymoon, and Zombies Anonymous. All three films follow I, Zombie's lead in thinking about what it would be like to be a conscious zombie. In some ways, this film explores that issue more intimately than do the later films.

The film follows Brian, a graduate student who gets bitten by a zombie and finds himself turned into one. He has an uncontrollable hunger for people and is slowly rotting as he hides away from the world. It's a grim tale of desperation and sorrow, with lots of lingering shots focused on Brian's painful life hiding in his flat. A few other thoughts:

* While the film contemplates the question of what it would be like to become a zombie quite well, it veers quite far from the recipe necessary for an enjoyable zombie film. There's not much tension as Brian never seems in any sort of danger. A persistant detective (ala Zombie Honeymoon) would have made the story a bit more exciting.
* The gloomy desperation and haunted narrative reminds me a lot of An American Werewolf in London, which also considers the spiritual tragedy of becoming a monster.
* This movie has one of the more horrifying consequences of rotting I've seen in a zombie film, made much worse by the emotional depth of the scene in which it occurs.
* There's not a whole lot of action or excitement in the film. Instead, its matter-of-fact cinematography and shallow narrative arc short circuit most of the horror-pleasure that one finds in these films. In so doing, I could see it being pretty unsatisfying for people looking for more conventional fare. That said, I think it makes a fine companion to those other films I mentioned above.
* The makeup effects and dream sequences are impressive and solid.

Overall, it's worth seeing, but more recent films do the same work in a more entertaining way.
November 21, 2009
Achingly slow minimalist zom tale follows a man's gradual transformation into the title creature after sustaining a bite from an infected gal.

Not a bad premise. Sadly, the creators, so focused on creating a "thinking man's" zom flick, have made something more akin to a stuffy art school project than anything disturbing or horrifying (we're about one weeping clown eating pasta in a bathtub away from being unwatchably pretentious).

If being mind-numbingly boring wasn't enough, we're also treated to heaps of "deep" introspective voice-overs, moody masturbation scenes, distractingly poor f/x (save for the finale) and a lead character whom we're to believe is highly intelligent, yet makes incredibly stupid decisions (presumably to keep the story afloat).

For example, when this guy comes across what appears to be a diseased, rotting, blood and pus-covered crack whore doing the funky chicken in an abandoned house in the woods, he scoops her up, gets that pizza-face within chompin' distance of his and carries her like a groom with a bride 'cross the threshold.

Bottom line, the makers deserve two stars for the unique premise, but, if you're looking for a low-budget, unique and disturbing take on the walking dead, skip this and check out The Zombie Diaries.
October 16, 2009
While a good idea in concept, this movie just about fails on every level. You'd think a simple story about the transformation into zombiehood would yield better results. This, for some reason, is more of an art film with way too many scenes of the zombie staring off into the distance while piano music played. Oh well, at least I got the chance to see that zombie's do masturbate..
August 1, 2009
Interesting contemporary zombie story, rather brutally graphic, but it is an unusual twist on the often told subject. Very good score, nicely acted and directed. Good pace.
July 31, 2008
The pace of this is so very slow. That being said I still remember this movie 9 years later, so it did strike a cord and stuck in y brain. This movie is about 1 man who gets bit by a zombie and slowly slowly slowly turns (like I said, the pace is slow). But it was a pretty good new take on zombie-ism. The man starts to shut down and fall apart and tries to put himself back together. His leg breaks, so he tries to keep it together with a metal plate, ext. In the end he's slowly falling away as he clutches for his humanity. It's really pretty sad. This is not your typical zombie action flick, but it did stick in my mind, so it can't be that bad :)
July 4, 2008
I am going to warn you right now: should you ever become a zombie, do not attempt to masturbate. Thank you.
June 18, 2008
Really sad and pesimistic movie, but it's original, a good change for zombie fans
½ May 29, 2008
HAH I thought it was pretty damn cool, original idea good gore. The only bad thing was the pace, it took too damn long to end haha
½ May 18, 2008
I remember telling all of my friends how awful ZOMBIES GONE WILD, Westlake's stupid little DTV from 2007 was, and telling them how stupid the plot, acting, and camerawork was. I didn't think there would ever be a movie worse than ZOMBIES GONE WILD, but sadly, I was wrong. I, ZOMBIE is a stupid, boring, and uninteresting film that looks like it was shot by second graders who had just watched Day of the Dead. Please do not put yourself through this torturous viewing experience, and save the five dollars that this film isn't even close to being worth. I would give this film a zero star rating if I could.
January 2, 2008
Hilarious disaster piece that takes us through the life of a man who is slowly turning into a zombie. We watch the man rot, get drunk and in a scene of pure bewilderment...he masturbates and off comes his dick. Seriously, what the hell is this movie and why can't I help but find it amazing?
December 25, 2007
A true gem among zombie movies! Ok, before anything you have to understand that it's an independiente movie, which means there are not so many production values and maybe some effects are not well executed...

This is about the journey of a man turning in a zombie and how he manages to trying to understand what is happening to him. The ways he uses to fight the disease and the lonelines he is facing due to the circunstances, it's a unique point of view, watched through the eyes of a man, and captures all the suffering of knowing what is going to happen... and to realize it couldn't be stopped...

Ah, but it has some really disturbing moments too! There is shocking masturbation scene only believed if you seen it! Since Nekromantik the most gruesome masturbation in an horror flick!

You just have to see it, there is almost no gore on it, it's not exactly a zombie flick, it's something done to think a little, and I think it has to be recognized as one of the most inteligent zombie movies ever made!
½ November 17, 2007
for an independent zombie movie, its very interesting. no one tried to show "what is it to be a zombie". effects are bad of course because it's 99, and they dont have money. but i like it very muck.
November 13, 2007
Unique among zombie flicks, lots of good ideas went into this one but it suffers a bit in production and execution
½ October 10, 2007
This is fucking genius. An in-depth look at one man's transformation into a zombie. One of the more real zombie flicks I've seen, very personal. Also it must be said, I loved the masturbation scene.
October 3, 2007
Not the best in the zombie genre but... well it does have a zombie on it... although it is kind of boring... Who would have thing it? A boring zombie...
½ September 8, 2007
I really didn't appreciate this movie when I saw it years ago, but as time goes on I realize that this was a fantastic film. It's nothing like a traditional Zombie movie. It's all about this guy becoming a Zombie and what it's like to transform into one. Very intense. Great film.
September 3, 2007
not strictly a zombie film as he retains consciousness throughout his transfoemation, this is still a cool little film following a man trying to stave off a zombie infection. slow paced and claustrophobic, this film lingers over lost humanity. British, bleak, and the bloke pulls his knob off whilst jaffing off, what more do you want?