I, Zombie Reviews

• May 06, 2013

The tough life and loves of being a Zombie

The tough life and loves of being a Zombie

• Nov 11, 2012

Well-intentioned, low-budget look at 'life' as a zombie. It's clunky and wordy, and looks like something you made with your friends at school, but it has a quality that just about manages to shine through. Great wank scene.

• Mar 03, 2011

zombies can't masturbate. interesting departure from the typical zack piece though.

• Nov 21, 2009

Achingly slow minimalist zom tale follows a man's gradual transformation into the title creature after sustaining a bite from an infected gal. Not a bad premise. Sadly, the creators, so focused on creating a "thinking man's" zom flick, have made something more akin to a stuffy art school project than anything disturbing or horrifying (we're about one weeping clown eating pasta in a bathtub away from being unwatchably pretentious). If being mind-numbingly boring wasn't enough, we're also treated to heaps of "deep" introspective voice-overs, moody masturbation scenes, distractingly poor f/x (save for the finale) and a lead character whom we're to believe is highly intelligent, yet makes incredibly stupid decisions (presumably to keep the story afloat). For example, when this guy comes across what appears to be a diseased, rotting, blood and pus-covered crack whore doing the funky chicken in an abandoned house in the woods, he scoops her up, gets that pizza-face within chompin' distance of his and carries her like a groom with a bride 'cross the threshold. Bottom line, the makers deserve two stars for the unique premise, but, if you're looking for a low-budget, unique and disturbing take on the walking dead, skip this and check out The Zombie Diaries.

• Oct 16, 2009

While a good idea in concept, this movie just about fails on every level. You'd think a simple story about the transformation into zombiehood would yield better results. This, for some reason, is more of an art film with way too many scenes of the zombie staring off into the distance while piano music played. Oh well, at least I got the chance to see that zombie's do masturbate..

• Aug 01, 2009

Interesting contemporary zombie story, rather brutally graphic, but it is an unusual twist on the often told subject. Very good score, nicely acted and directed. Good pace.

• Apr 25, 2009

I, Zombie makes an early stab at a theme that would be quite popular in the most recent slate of zombie films. It's most clear descendants are movies like American Zombie, Zombie Honeymoon, and Zombies Anonymous. All three films follow I, Zombie's lead in thinking about what it would be like to be a conscious zombie. In some ways, this film explores that issue more intimately than do the later films. The film follows Brian, a graduate student who gets bitten by a zombie and finds himself turned into one. He has an uncontrollable hunger for people and is slowly rotting as he hides away from the world. It's a grim tale of desperation and sorrow, with lots of lingering shots focused on Brian's painful life hiding in his flat. A few other thoughts: * While the film contemplates the question of what it would be like to become a zombie quite well, it veers quite far from the recipe necessary for an enjoyable zombie film. There's not much tension as Brian never seems in any sort of danger. A persistant detective (ala Zombie Honeymoon) would have made the story a bit more exciting. * The gloomy desperation and haunted narrative reminds me a lot of An American Werewolf in London, which also considers the spiritual tragedy of becoming a monster. * This movie has one of the more horrifying consequences of rotting I've seen in a zombie film, made much worse by the emotional depth of the scene in which it occurs. * There's not a whole lot of action or excitement in the film. Instead, its matter-of-fact cinematography and shallow narrative arc short circuit most of the horror-pleasure that one finds in these films. In so doing, I could see it being pretty unsatisfying for people looking for more conventional fare. That said, I think it makes a fine companion to those other films I mentioned above. * The makeup effects and dream sequences are impressive and solid. Overall, it's worth seeing, but more recent films do the same work in a more entertaining way.

• Jul 20, 2008

The pace of this is so very slow. That being said I still remember this movie 9 years later, so it did strike a cord and stuck in y brain. This movie is about 1 man who gets bit by a zombie and slowly slowly slowly turns (like I said, the pace is slow). But it was a pretty good new take on zombie-ism. The man starts to shut down and fall apart and tries to put himself back together. His leg breaks, so he tries to keep it together with a metal plate, ext. In the end he's slowly falling away as he clutches for his humanity. It's really pretty sad. This is not your typical zombie action flick, but it did stick in my mind, so it can't be that bad :)

• Jul 04, 2008

I am going to warn you right now: should you ever become a zombie, do not attempt to masturbate. Thank you.

• Jun 18, 2008

Really sad and pesimistic movie, but it's original, a good change for zombie fans