Ice Quake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ice Quake Reviews

jjnxn
½ February 10, 2016
Some nice effects but by and large SO very stupid.
½ February 9, 2016
As much as I like Joelle Ferland and even though she's kind of a scream queen, nothing saved this movie from the epitome of crap. When she became a teenager, I guess she started acting in television films between this movie and one on Lifetime, the latter being much better.

Every actor has to endure at least one shitty SyFy original film in their lifetime, some are better than others, most aren't. The whole plot was really stupid and had no monster, so no stupid CGI for the most part. Either way, the cause of the mess is kind of dumb and I guess this is like a sort of lesson on global warming.

As a result if no monster, lower body count. Very low, very unusual for a SyFy film. Nothing wrong with that. Don't get used to it. Almost every other film is gonna have a monster with a huge body count.

In general, the film is just bad. It's an original plot, but it's bad. Acting is fun. And a small hour and a half film felt dragged out, you know that's an issue.
½ December 21, 2014
I wasn't expecting anything good here, just a little mindless fun while I get some work done. But this was a truly insipid disaster movie. The generic nature of every character could lull you into a coma. There were some decent ice quake scenes and I love Victor Garber, but the real reason I bothered to review this movie is the rampant sexist writing. The female characters existed only to ask the men what they should do. Even the 16 year old girl was begging the 12 year old boy for constant advice on how to think. I watched till the end just to see if the women ever had an independent thought. A female soldier pointed out how to detonate C4, but otherwise only men get brains in this flick. The ladies can only stumble around like morons until their saviors with testosterone can guide them away from obvious death. The final scene was everyone being proud of mom for driving a truck. I'm surprised they didn't pat her on the head.
½ February 1, 2013
Drastic shifts in the Alaskan permafrost have begun to cause earth-shattering quakes and ice geysers, trapping an archaeologist and his family out in the cold during their winter retreat. For what it is, ICE QUAKE stacks up against other low-budget, made-for-television disaster pictures like ARCTIC BLAST or METEOR STORM in delivering cheap thrills and moderate effects on a meager budget. Disaster is always the operative term here, since the plot inconsistencies, stagnant characters, and poor computerization have become characteristic of the genre, but director Paul Ziller has done everything he can to try and make this passable entertainment. The sequence of events are predictable and contrived as always, but this keeps the action moving at a decent pace throughout. TV's Brendan Fehr and Victor Garber both do what they can to attach some emotionality to the characters. These low-budget mockbusters wouldn't continue to be made if there was not already a built-in audience, so fans of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW or ARCTIC BLAST should enjoy!

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
½ January 8, 2013
Really stupid. I hated it. The story would've been good if the actors did a good job, which they didn't. A total waste of time.
½ January 8, 2013
it was an ok film but I thought it would be better than this, it was an TV movie and it starred Victor Garber (Titanic), I don't want the film on DVD, it starred Jodelle Ferland and Brendan Fehr
½ November 22, 2012
A catastrophe flm, but family type, big Booms but no blood! Fine by me.
½ October 3, 2012
Terrible effect and it makes very little sense, but at least the dog survived?
October 2, 2012
TV movie. The usual special effects and feel good story. Not too exciting.