Ice Station Zebra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ice Station Zebra Reviews

Shrewlord
½ January 6, 2011
Classic adventure based on a novel by Alistair Maclean. A stellar cast, non-stop action and intrigue and marvelous visuals and sets - the star of which is the tilting submarine inards. One bit always annoys me - the stock footage of Phantom jets pretending to be Migs but its a petty gripe about what is one of my favourite films.
½ December 11, 2010
I don't usually like military submarine type movies, but I actually enjoyed this one. The special effects are cool, the story is good and understandable, and I loved McGoohan in this movie, he was awesome. I really liked this movie.
November 14, 2010
a cold war drama about western powers and the soviets racing to get to the north pole for some mysterious reason - one that isn't revealed to us until about 2 hours into the film...

it's a long film. lots of details are shown about the operation of a submarine. it's not a film that would be made today. the performances are ok and there's good tension when they reach the north pole but it's not a "great" film.
September 18, 2010
Howard Hughes OCD'ed on this movie!
½ September 8, 2010
ICE STATION ZEBRA (1968)
½ July 5, 2010
This movie moves at a glacial pace and the endless exposition will just bore you to tears. Two & 1/2 hours with a grand total of five minutes of action. That arctic showdown sequence is an awful looking sound stage. So many good actors wasted.
½ June 27, 2010
Definitely not one of the good adaptations of a Maclean novel. The main characters, except for the captain, are more irritating than intriguing. The plot does not get resolved very satisfactorily. The entire business with the soldiers feels like it could have been dispensed with. Too long.
May 25, 2010
the foam rock sets and fake snow are less of an eyesore with an engaging plot and decent acting
½ May 16, 2010
Failed to excite me. I found the plot a little bit dull and the speed of the narrative frustrating. Some decent shots of submarine footage for its time made me give it a high rating but I failed to find much exciting about this film. Howard Hughes famously watched this film 150 times, I really don't now how, oh yeah I do he was a nutter.
½ March 6, 2010
A decent movie, but a much better book.
½ March 1, 2010
Clunky Hollywood action spectacle leads to a suspense-free showdown on an unconvincing arctic sound-stage. McGoohan is great, and his sardonic paranoiac elevates every scene he figures into
February 28, 2010
a taut and exciting cold war thriller, even if the effects are very dated today. good performances by mcgoohan and hudson (this may be the first rock hudson movie i've ever seen). must have been a big 'event' movie in the day, would be interesting to see this updated in today's movie making era.
½ December 26, 2009
Hudson gives the ball to Brown on a simple HB draw and he runs right through Borgnine at the LB position only to get ankle-tackled and shot 3 times in the chest by Patrick McGoohan.
December 12, 2009
Pretty good entertaining.
August 6, 2009
This was an unexpectedly great cold war submarine us-versus-the-Ruskies action adventure movie from the late 60s. Has to be a classic for the genre. Truly excellent movie (and with sets and special effects that look way beyond their time).
½ July 6, 2009
Ice Station Zebra (1968) -- [5.0] -- Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine and Patrick McGoohan set off in a nuclear submarine for a clandestine rendezvous in the Arctic, where they‚??re bound to confront the Russkies. Unfortunately, it‚??s not nearly as exciting as it sounds. All the men play the typical, stoic soldier types, so there‚??s not much personality to keep you engaged. The first half is slow-paced, and the climax can‚??t compensate for the movie‚??s long running time. Michel Legrand overkills with the grand musical score.
May 28, 2009
A breathtakingly filmed cold war classic with cutting edge special effects for the release date. Good fun with a great cast.
May 15, 2009
great cold war/submarine flick .. the only problem is i kept expecting the shape shifting creature from "The Thing" to appear.
loved the under the ice scenes and the ending
½ April 26, 2009
An old classic Alistair MacLean. Not as good as the book though. And some special effects seems a little outdated.
½ April 21, 2009
Amazing special effects (for a film 40 years old) a great performance by Ernest Borgnine, Rock Hudson's likeability and a supringly good Jim Brown (the NFL great) make this a decent film. The length and slow pace of the film keep it from being truly enjoyalbe.