Iceberg Slim: Portrait Of A Pimp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iceberg Slim: Portrait Of A Pimp Reviews

October 27, 2015
As surmised from the title, this one is about "the struggle". Surprisingly, it's ultimately about the *artist's* struggle and the (anti)hero's journey. A bit superficial and more of a "fanpic" than anything but good stuff for the uninitiated like myself.
½ August 29, 2015
This person deserves a better documentary. Still, the film serves as an advert for a much better book so it's doing something right.
August 30, 2014
It's difficult to watch this without feeling some kind of judgement toward the violence aimed toward the women who worked for Iceberg Slim, however it is an unusual insight into a world that many of us know very little about and is interesting for that alone.
May 10, 2014
incredible documentary of a true icon in the streets.
November 19, 2013
Fascinating story and a fascinating man. He had such a cool voice too, I could listen to him speak for hours.
October 29, 2013
Very interesting---Great subject and put together well
October 8, 2013
Pimpin' ain't easy, and infamous pimp Iceberg Slim learned it the hard way but became a well-respected author later in life....interesting even if the subject matter doesn't draw you in.
½ September 3, 2013
good doc on legendary pimp turned author robert iceberg slim beck.
September 2, 2013
Really, really good documentary.
August 12, 2013
Excellent documentary that shows you exactly how eloquent Iceberg was and details how greater career as a novelist. His literary career is given its just due and not just his pimpin
July 28, 2013
Engaging and colorful, Iceberg Slim, the man, gets captured beautifully in this well-researched and entertaining documentary. A life (and a world) unknown to many, yet his impact is still felt today. Great interviews with Chris Rock, Quincy Jones and co-producer, Ice-T, are interspersed with family and friends, co-conspirators and bystanders. Plus, we get a taste of Slim's books amidst a backdrop of key historical events. On the surface, this may be seen simply as an African-American survival story, but I couldn't help feeling this went way beyond race. Rising from poverty, abuse, bad luck and heartbreak, Robert Beck (aka 'Iceberg Slim'), continually bounces back with a gleam in his eye. Beck's luck continues in the after-life: his books are more popular than ever, and he is blessed with filmmakers who have the passion and vision to reveal his unique genius.
July 23, 2013
I saw this last night and LOVED it, the title almost stopped me because i thought it was going to be a pimp and ho 70's freak show but it was totally the opposite. Its the story of Icebergs fascinating life and his reinvention of himself. The music in this doc was really well done and the use of pulp fiction imagery was genius, and Icebergs wife Betty WOWOW what a women, i can only imagine that household. Anyway, this was one of the best docs i have seen in awhile, i order Icebergs book pimp and hope it lives up to the praise it got.
June 14, 2013
when is movie commingle out.
April 13, 2013
Iceberg Slim is a film worth seeing. It is a portrait of a man, who ambled into brilliance from a place of darkness. Hinojosa shows us a man who had a powerful effect on many writers, actors and comedians, who read his experiential narratives of violence, brutality, guilt and regret.
September 20, 2012
Was an interesting movie about the man Iceberg Slim: who had a big influence in the pimping industry. I am going to read his books when I get a hold of them.