Ida Reviews

• Feb 26, 2021

One of the best movies I've seen. Photography, scenario, personalities, everything in perfect combination.

• Feb 14, 2021

young novice become corrupted by her alcoholic aunt but triumphs when she sees that it is empty.

• Jan 21, 2021

Pawel Pawlikowski's Ida tells the story of a young Polish woman, preparing to take her vows as a nun, who embarks on a journey with her aunt to discover her roots. While the story itself is compelling, what makes the film a remarkable viewing experiencing is Pawlikowski's direction. Shot in stark black and white, virtually every shot in this film is visually stunning. Any individual frame could be plucked from the movie, blown up, and be framed to hang on a wall. The stationary camera (with the exception of the final two shots) is Ozu-like in both its simplicity and complexity, with each shot perfectly framed and blocked. Ida is a modern masterpiece.

• Jan 14, 2021

A riveting mood piece, mainly because of the young lead's face. Beautiful black and white cinematography, a spare script, and a sense of place immediately established and never let go. For me, the brief exploration Ida makes of the grubbier aspects of life outside the convent, were not needed and cheapened the film.

• Jan 14, 2021

The silence and understatement in every layer of movie just come and took me. I flew with story and especially pictures.

• Dec 27, 2020

One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.

One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.

• Aug 30, 2020

Pawlikowski guides us as we embark on this marvelous journey 'Ida' is, a journey featuring formidable acting, breathtaking shots and a haunting ambience. Surely a must-see, a modern masterpiece!

• Aug 19, 2020

Almost perfect. Beautifully filmed, great acting and an authentic and moving story and script. Black and white adds to the effect.

• Jul 25, 2020

There is something that just feels right about the pacing of the movie, you can ride it like a delicate wave. The music and particularly the photography help to achieve this calm but not emotionless feel thought the movie.

• Jul 11, 2020