Idlewild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Idlewild Reviews

½ August 24, 2016
4 1/2 out of 5 stars! I've got to be the biggest OutKast fan ever and I must say that despite my bias, this movie was still awesome! Although I think it still could have been even better if the studio hadn't rushed them. Watching the film again, 10 years later, actually gave me even more respect for the film. They worked in a bunch of songs from 4 different albums. I loved how the film referenced the songs and the songs referenced the film and characters. The story was pretty straight forward, but that's good since it was more of a vehicle to deliver great OutKast songs and performances anyway. It's way better than it needed to be and this film and soundtrack will always hold a special place in my heart, thanks to the quality, but also thanks to the fact that it came out right before I left home to go away to college for my Junior and Senior year and was a very transformative time for me and that's what the film is about in many ways.
December 12, 2015
Great music and a very good story.
June 11, 2015
Worst musical I have ever seen. It is racist, sexist and totally uncalled for. Nothing about this film resembles reality. Do Blacks really think so little of themselves?
½ April 8, 2015
Outkast shoots to make 'Idlewild' their 'Purple Rain', but it's quirkiness makes it feel more like 'Under The Cherry Moon'.
September 10, 2014
At times the plot is predictable, but it's a musical that has a good sondtrack and it didn't annoy me (unlike Grease).
½ June 29, 2014
Consider my bias as an avowed Outkast fan.
May 5, 2014
I used to be an OutKast fan, but this movie is pretty disappointing. It doesnt have a very solid story and seems to underperform too often. There is a pretty good cast associated with this film, but thats about the only positive.
February 23, 2014
I love this movie its the bomb
February 22, 2014
Okay so it was like a long music video.....
½ February 13, 2014
yes, Idlewild is a jumbled mess of a plot that is overly saturated in stylistic pulp but the interpretation of several iconic Outkast tracks is marvelous.
January 21, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies, I find the review for this movie pathetic,My question is did anyone watch this movie?
November 23, 2013
I love this movie! I don't think is gets enough credit for being an awesome movie.
September 21, 2013
Thought this was pretty good. Andre Benjamin from "Outkast" gives a wonderful performance & Paula Patton was great too. Love the dancing and singing too.
December 27, 2012
Im not interested in this storyline.
December 7, 2012
Flask: Well, you know how that old saying goes, 'What goes around, comes around'!

André Benjamin: Percival

Big Boi: Rooster (as Antwan A. Patton)

Paula Patton: Angel

Terrence Howard: Trumpy

Musical set in the Prohibition-era American South, where Piano playing Percival and club manager Rooster must contend with gangster villains who have their eyes set on the club while his piano player and partner Percival must choose between his love, Angel or his obligations to his father.

I knew ages ago I'd love this film being a massive fan of OUTKAST. Right from the word go the artistic range and depth of soul is apparent. Also being a huge fan of musicals this free-form style that Idlewild has really sparks my heart.

Andre shows he's a talented actor as well as musician, along with his partner Big Boi. Terrance Howard also plays a brilliant villain of the piece who will have you seething.

The songs will have you clicking your fingers and tapping in time and all that jazz.

Costumes, effects(Love the Rooster Flask with its scratchy cartoony voice) and the feel to the movie all just seem to click and gel, giving that 1930s resonance to the film on a whole. The story and characters are all multi-layered and have depth, making them more than 2D cutouts.

I think I'd go far as to say this is better than Dreamgirls.

An artful soulful musical movie that will stand out for years to come. Play the Rooster song again please...
October 29, 2012
Acting - so so
Story - not bad, simple
Dancing - Pretty darn good
Music - YES!

Went into this one not knowing exactly what to expect. If it wasn't for the music I wouldn't have liked this movie. The setting of the story was also perfect. It's worth checking. I wouldn't really clasify it as a "musical". More like a simple drama with a few music videos tossed in there. But they don't pop out. Everything blends pretty well.
October 12, 2012
I'm hooked to great music and acting...
August 6, 2012
very artsy movie, a little too much sometimes. but overall a good story, great message, even better music
½ July 30, 2012
I missed seeing this movie when it first came out. This movie is still hot. It is the eccentric and surreal delivery of the story through the lines in the script, the music, the costumes that makes this movie unique and compelling and a refreshing departure from the same old conventional delivery. If you are a musician this is a must-see. Andre 3000 knows how to open up the mind. He is a true artist.
July 29, 2012
Idlewild is best approached as an elaborate OutKast music video. It is set in a fictional town during the Depression, and the story centers around various characters at a local speakeasy.

Despite the choppy storyline and mediocre performances, the musical features highly stylized dance sequences, colorful costumes, and a great selection of music from Andre 3000 and Big Boi as they incorporate Prohibition-era jazz and blues into their trademark hip-hop/funk/soul sound.