If A Tree Falls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

If A Tree Falls Reviews

May 3, 2016
If a Tree Falls pulls style and ideas from the grindhouse films of yesteryear. Complete with added "film damage" this movie takes a simple road trip gone wrong killer hillbilly story and attempts to make it something more than it needed to be.
The film is low budget so the less than stellar acting (though it is better than a lot of stuff that comes out in this price range), generally amateur cinematography, and terrible sound can be slightly forgiven and to a degree, add to the grindhouse feel surrounding the film.
But with long drawn out shots of nature or the road, or whatever they decided to pad the film with, cuppled with a very non-standard plot (directing and editing), I found myself more bored than entertained. In fact, I had a hard time keeping my eyes open.
If A Tree Falls has a lot of good things going on and does a good job of delivering that old grindhouse feel. I just wish they had played it more straight and been less creative/artistic with it (which isn't something I say often).
½ May 9, 2012
Superfluous seventies styling, shit screenplay, some savagery.
½ March 6, 2012
I don't know what this films goal was but from what i concluded at the end of this film is it was just a stupid pointless slasher film with no real motive,SKIP IT!!!
February 29, 2012
this is not the documentary about the ELF
½ November 11, 2011
Could have been a hell of a lot better if this had been Rob Zombie. Otherwise, I did enjoy this somewhat and it was good for what was here. Be warned though, this is not a film for anyone under 18. It is extremely gory in some scenes, and well the whole film is basically an exploit on people getting chased and taunted and tortured by serial killers. This film is not for everyone obviously and the ones who enjoy 'this kid of thing' might enjoy this one.
½ April 18, 2011
Saw this at the Chicago Portage, at first I was kinda "meh" but it REALLY REALLY kicked into third gear half way through. I read the dread central review before the film, my boyfriend and I enjoyed it. Very Genre!