If I Were You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

If I Were You Reviews

Harlequin68
March 9, 2015
"If I Were You" starts with Madelyn(Marcia Gay Harden) wanting to surprise her husband Paul(Joseph Kell) with his favorite pastry. But then it is Madelyn who is surprised by Paul having an affair with the younger Lucy(Leonor Watling). She then follows Lucy after the lovers have an argument. Madelyn even goes so far as to stop Lucy's suicide attempt, followed by the women striking a unique deal.

For a comedy that is centered around an off-off-off Broadway production of King Lear, it is no surprise that "If I Were You" is as uneven as it is. While Leonor Watling hits the right farcical notes, Marcia Gay Harden does seem lost at times. But not in one scene she shares with Aidan Quinn set at a nursing home, that while it does seem like it comes from another movie entirely is also the highlight of this one. And Quinn's stabilizing presence does even things out effectively enough to make this movie at least somewhat likable.
½ October 30, 2015
good indie i think com-dram even though the clowns at flixter think it is just a drama but it reely has some funny moments.
January 24, 2015
Splendid film that shows you can make it through any situation. I laughed, I cried, and I swore that I'd make all my friends watch this movie. This is not some sappy rom-com, it's mayhem with both hilarity and serious tones that make for a great movie.
September 19, 2014
For Shakespeare fun, this is a spoof lightly based on King Lear. it is worth of watching just to see how Queen Lear is played. The other story track is less interesting.
½ October 1, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. The story was a bit insane, but a relationship between a man's wife and his mistress has never been this funny. The cast did a fantastic job and definitely made the movie enjoyable.
½ January 13, 2016
This is a lovely film. Well written, well acted, and interesting. She plays a wonderful King Lear, as well.
Harlequin68
March 9, 2015

February 20, 2015
Wow- everyone seems to hate this film. I liked it. Marcia Gay Harden drew me in from the first frame. Leonor Watling is stunning even with the ill-conceived Spanish accent. Farcial and breezy, even the labored bits pass by without rancor. No one gets shot, no car chases and no cgi. Harden proves than a gal in middle age can be more interesting than any of those. Uncredited costars: Cell Phone and Bottle of Cheap Scotch.
January 16, 2015
If Woody Allen were a middle aged woman, this is the kind of movie he'd write. If I Were You is a hilarious comedy based on the odd predicament that occurs when a woman accidentally gets to know her husband's girlfriend. I won't say "mistress." This girl thinks she is the love of the husband's life. She's got no life other than him. Marcia Gay Harden befriends her and becomes a kind of life coach, hoping that if the girl succeeds at something she might give up the husband. What is funny about this movie, and touching, is the familiarity of the lines this girl has swallowed and the way we get to see both sides of the situation.

This movie has received overwhelming praise in its Netflix and Amazon reviews. One thing I notice though is that the reviewers are almost all women. Movie critics are mostly men, and unfortunately they don't seem to like it. There are very few movies with the perspective of an intelligent, funny woman in her 50s. This is a gem.
July 29, 2014
Marcia Gay Howard shows what she is made of in the beautifully complex role of Madelyn Reid. Though touching on many subjects such as marriage, adultery, dementia, death, friendship and forgiveness, "If I Were You" is not narrowly fixated on any of them. Instead, drawing on its connection to King Lear, this film takes on the role of Honest Cordelia; revealing the brutal beauty of real life lived with the best intentions and full of pain and heartache. Harden masterfully portrays the full, emotional, flawed and funny human struggling with most difficult task of life: finding the strength to live it.
February 15, 2014
The acting and writing captured the ironic humor of this piece which managed to make sympathetic characters of both the wife and mistress. I enjoyed the movie from beginning to end particularly the way Harden and Watling played off each other.
February 15, 2014
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful comedy! Great acting by everyone, especially Ms Reid! Story reminded us of some of Neil Simon's work.
November 26, 2013
Wow... I loved this movie. It reminded me of old Woody Allen. Super entertained and Marcia Gay Harden, AMAZING!
½ October 30, 2013
Absolutely fantastic.
½ October 13, 2013
Marcia Gay Harden is so talented. Her character essentially walks through 92% of the film in a drunken stupor. And, she manages to squeeze out some funny and touching moments. Joan Carr-Wiggen has ONE good idea here -- the idea of comparing poor Marcia Gay Harden's mid-life situation to that of King Lear. Sadly, all she has is one good idea and one gifted actor -- it isn't enough to make this film work.
October 12, 2013
One of the best written screenplays, a modern farce, well worth the time.
These critics are deaf, dumb, and blind hacks.
October 11, 2013
I LOVED If I Were You. Every minute of it!
Funny and Warm. I loved the humor and the Character. I highly recommend it.
September 24, 2013
It's a VERY good, funny, thoughtful movie, great interesting twist ending... How can the critics give this a 10% when they gave the BORING Mud a 98%??
May 14, 2013
At first I took the opening scene seriously, then I soon was laughing out loud. All of the cast were perfect in their roles, but Marcia was outstanding! My son and his wife loved it too.
½ May 7, 2013
such a great movie. im very recomended this one to you guys, especialy if u single and i like marcia gay's acting in here. this is very intelectual movie defenetly i love this one.