If I Were You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

If I Were You Reviews

January 14, 2018
I cannot imagine this movie having a one-star? rating. The acting and directing were superb, and the storyline was very entertaining.
January 10, 2018
Pretty funny and great to watch
December 30, 2017
The Tomatometer is wrong. Give the writers credit for this one. An unexpectedly fun, enjoyable and funny film. Marcia Gay Harden just became my favorite actress. The 75 minutes of this movie passed quickly. You should like it -- at least give it a chance.
December 20, 2017
Excellent film. You will be pleasantly surprised. Marcia Gay Hardin is spot on as always. A great farce with believable characters. Humorous and touching.
November 4, 2017
Such a sweet movie, that explores the boundaries of proper human conduct in contrast to our realities, and even better, our, "what ifs".
October 27, 2017
Loved it! Very funny and quite clever
October 16, 2017
This movie was fun and smart. Two strong female lead characters who ultimately don't kowtow to the men in the story. I'm upset critics gave it such poor reviews and suspect sexism is part of the blame.
½ September 27, 2017
Great story! Stick with it after the first 5 minutes, you'll be glad you did!
August 22, 2017
9% vs. 70%. Demonstrates that critics and audiences see things through different eyes. I'm an audience. I enjoy watching a silver screen that keeps me smiling. Occasionally (but less often), the serious stuff. Mostly for pure, comedy. Like Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds...you know. Highly enjoyed the silly situations that popped up time and time. Walked away with a smile. Who could ask for more? Four out of five.
December 27, 2016
Such a light hearted movie :)
May 20, 2016
This is a quirky gem...while it's not at all surprising that some people will not appreciate it, the discrepancy between the critics and the audience is telling
½ January 13, 2016
This is a lovely film. Well written, well acted, and interesting. She plays a wonderful King Lear, as well.
½ October 31, 2015
good indie i think com-dram even though the clowns at flixter think it is just a drama but it reely has some funny moments.
September 18, 2015
This film is sure to be a late bloomer. Harden totally rocks the comedy in this dark drama. She discovers her husband is fooling around, and yet develops a friendship with the 'other woman.'
Through theatre, misdirection, and sexual misadventures, this one is worth your time.
March 9, 2015
"If I Were You" starts with Madelyn(Marcia Gay Harden) wanting to surprise her husband Paul(Joseph Kell) with his favorite pastry. But then it is Madelyn who is surprised by Paul having an affair with the younger Lucy(Leonor Watling). She then follows Lucy after the lovers have an argument. Madelyn even goes so far as to stop Lucy's suicide attempt, followed by the women striking a unique deal.

For a comedy that is centered around an off-off-off Broadway production of King Lear, it is no surprise that "If I Were You" is as uneven as it is. While Leonor Watling hits the right farcical notes, Marcia Gay Harden does seem lost at times. But not in one scene she shares with Aidan Quinn set at a nursing home, that while it does seem like it comes from another movie entirely is also the highlight of this one. And Quinn's stabilizing presence does even things out effectively enough to make this movie at least somewhat likable.
February 20, 2015
Wow- everyone seems to hate this film. I liked it. Marcia Gay Harden drew me in from the first frame. Leonor Watling is stunning even with the ill-conceived Spanish accent. Farcial and breezy, even the labored bits pass by without rancor. No one gets shot, no car chases and no cgi. Harden proves than a gal in middle age can be more interesting than any of those. Uncredited costars: Cell Phone and Bottle of Cheap Scotch.
January 24, 2015
Splendid film that shows you can make it through any situation. I laughed, I cried, and I swore that I'd make all my friends watch this movie. This is not some sappy rom-com, it's mayhem with both hilarity and serious tones that make for a great movie.
January 16, 2015
If Woody Allen were a middle aged woman, this is the kind of movie he'd write. If I Were You is a hilarious comedy based on the odd predicament that occurs when a woman accidentally gets to know her husband's girlfriend. I won't say "mistress." This girl thinks she is the love of the husband's life. She's got no life other than him. Marcia Gay Harden befriends her and becomes a kind of life coach, hoping that if the girl succeeds at something she might give up the husband. What is funny about this movie, and touching, is the familiarity of the lines this girl has swallowed and the way we get to see both sides of the situation.

This movie has received overwhelming praise in its Netflix and Amazon reviews. One thing I notice though is that the reviewers are almost all women. Movie critics are mostly men, and unfortunately they don't seem to like it. There are very few movies with the perspective of an intelligent, funny woman in her 50s. This is a gem.
½ October 12, 2014
A surprisingly charming film.
September 19, 2014
For Shakespeare fun, this is a spoof lightly based on King Lear. it is worth of watching just to see how Queen Lear is played. The other story track is less interesting.