If You Don't, I Will Reviews

• Apr 22, 2016

Sophie Fillieres' movie is peculiar. It seemed a bit slight the first time I saw it. A few days later I came to the conclusion that there was nothing slight about it. Emmanuelle Devos and Mathieu Amalric play a couple who appear to have become bored with their marriage. A pleasant hike quickly devolves into a bitter walk of mutual resentments. The film is often realistically amusing, but when these two people get lost -- there is a deep feeling of sadness that emerges. Neither knows if they want to find their way back "home."

• Apr 05, 2016

Comedy rather hilarious at first that get serious mid-stream. We first think the film is about a bad couple in love nevertheless but it turns into a case of divorce by lack of love or maybe psychopathy. Could be another one of these subtil male-bashing film under a cover of female liberation. It is nevertheless interesting by its strangeness superimposed over the familiarity. Plus the comedic value.

• Apr 05, 2016

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Mar 30, 2015

In "If You Don't, I Will," Pomme(Emmanuelle Devos) and Pierre(Mathieu Amalric) are a couple whose serious money woes prevent them from even being able to pay John(David Clark), their personal trainer. That might be in part due to Pomme's being out on disability due to a benign brain tumor, from which she hopes to return from as soon as possible. In the meantime, she pays a visit to her son Romain(Nelson Delapalme). Aided by excellent tandem performances, "If You Don't, I Will" is a droll and perceptive comedy about relationships.(Hence the Gena Rowlands reference. Maybe.) At the center of which is how well or badly couples communicate. In this case, it is not what is said but what is not. Like, in the bus scene, I don't think Pierre was going to abandon Pomme but gave no indication that he was not going to.

• Dec 21, 2014

This French movie has an intriguing premise. The moment of the trailer that got me hooked was Pierre says "Come on, let's go home." Pomme simply says: No. The problem with that is that this whole set up doesn't come in until about half way through the movie. For the first half, you have to sit through miserable people bickering about their miserable lives. It's not that fun to watch. Funny at first, but it wears out its welcome quick. Once Pomme does stay in the forest, it starts to pick up a little bit. Emmanuelle Devos, who plays Pomme, had some of my favorite moments in the whole movie. But here's the thing. I think this whole bickering couple things works best when the audience sees that they are both in the wrong, and conversely, in the right. I don't know about other people that watched this, but I found Pierre to be a whiny asshole. I got why Pomme was tired of him. So, I don't know. This is well acted and it has its moments, but it's just not a must see.

• Mar 17, 2014

A great duet of actors! The film starts with a doomed relationship and it's very interesting and funny to see how it evolves.