Ikigami, (Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ikigami, (Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit) Reviews

December 27, 2013
Death Notice (as its called in the UK) is simply wonderful. A bleak look at Japan in the near future where everyday, a young person dies for their country after being injected with a nano-time-bomb as a kid. Simply shot but brilliantly acted, Ikigami left a lump in my throat more than once and is a brilliant twisted drama that has shades of Battle Royale and 1984, yet still holding its own.
½ March 2, 2013
Wow, this was just a fucking depressing movie. My eyes are pretty dry and it wasn't sad enough to make me cry, but this movie was just really depressing. Asian movies are so effing melodramatic. I've forgotten how much they love their melodrama. There's a line in this film that talks about how everybody loves their melodrama, and that's funny, because I don't think that's true. It's sort of like "Adjustment Bureau", but instead of a love story and a team of ninjas that make sure you follow fate, you basically get handed a "death letter". Depressing.

Story is what pulled me into this movie. Cast was what kinda kept me through the film. Music was ok; there was this scene were the violin piece just came in from nowhere and it was just so blatantly obvious, it made it horribly melodramatic.

Positive thing: I want to run my hands through Takayuki Yamada's long hair. I mean, even though his character looks and acts like a complete douchebag, just look at that hair. It's so shiny and it looks like he rewashes it for every scene. Glorious.
December 1, 2011
Tragic exploration of knowing you have 24 hours to live and having to die for such inhuman concepts as "the economy".
November 6, 2011
½ October 26, 2011
I've not read the manga, but seems like a pretty good adaptation. This could easily be a TV series, as it has lots of potential for interesting scenarios. A lot of really touching moments and an interesting premise.
March 18, 2011
The concept here is intrigueing, and while its no action adventure, sci fi element going on here, but a drama full of emotion, taking a law put into place in a contemperary japan, where a percentage of young people will die for there couintry only knowing 24 hours in advance by way of a death notice, we glimpse 3 stories by way of the death notice, representitive, himself not really liking what he sees, and tends to get involved with the cases. theres some touching moments here, and the fictionus law put in place here, is a interesting one especially when some of the ouitcomes promote good will and good outcomes. but oviously a bad law to begin with, a interesting film, just dont expect minority report or anything of that sort.
January 1, 2011
-ำมาา??ารู(TM)?ี>ุ(TM)ือ"ียว?ั(TM) มอา(TM)?ารู(TM)?อ(TM)?ลวึ""ูห(TM)ั อ(TM)ะ ?ิ"วา-าีวิราหลืออี?วั(TM)"ียวราะ-ำอะร"ี ารือรา-ำอ(TM)-ีรายั-ำ"?ม-ำรา-ึะยอม-ำ
December 27, 2010
actually when I think of some scenes of it, it is a little bite terrible
December 21, 2010
When I saw that they had made Ikigami into a movie I was slightly skeptical of it being that most live action anime/manga movies are dangerously underbudgeted and poorly executed. However, Ikigami definitely broke the mold. The actors were wonderful in conveying the bare emotion that Ikigami was meant to provide and the effects were not overly melodramatic nor fake. This movie brought tears to my eyes and was truly touching. I promise that anyone who watches this movie will love every shocking and heart-wretching moment of this movie.
½ October 11, 2010
What makes it very appealing is again the originality of the story and the poignant theme of death that prevails in the movie. However, the movie fails to get to me as much as the manga because it lacks the emotional depth that I was lookin for. It's honestly a decent adaptation, however there is something lacking A BIT in this movie that prevents me to really cry and feel for the characters.

7/10
½ April 11, 2010
Goed idee dat incoherent en extreem langdradig uitgewerkt wordt.
March 4, 2010
This is another of those manga adaptations that are clearly meant for young people(I think).Even though it's verry sappy and some portions are wholescale lifted from other movies/story it was pretty well made.Plus it beats reading 3-4 volumes of manga
December 17, 2009
In an alternative Japan, the government has passed a "Prosperity Law" which means that 1 in 1000 citizens aged 18-24 will die each year from a nano-capsule that's been injected in them when they were young and will explode inside their body, killing them instantly. The reason for this law is to keep crime and suicides down.

This movie focuses on one government worker as he sets about delivering an "Ikigami" to 3 people. The "Ikigami" which is a death note informs the person that they've got 24 hours left on this earth and that they can whatever they want. We get to follow the 3 on their final day of their lives and how the government worker starts getting 2nd thoughts about the law.

What an incredibly sad tale this was and it really makes you think about the value of life. I thought it was magnificent all round from the storyline, cast, the music and the acting. I teared up in the end, that's the kind of effect this movie will have on you. Most definitely recommended.
½ December 17, 2009
This movie is definitely too much. I had to cry all the time.
December 6, 2009
Il film è ben confezionato, ma abbastanza inutile, se si è letto il manga. Pare che gli autori abbiano usato le tavole come storyboard, tanto la trasposizione è fedele. Grande lavoro sui personaggi: alcuni sono somiglianti da fare impressione. Vengono narrati tre episodi separatamente.
Chi non ha letto il manga si troverà di fronte a una storia del tutto inverosimile, ma dai risvolti drammaticamente intensi e umani. Per tutti è previsto lo sfruttamento intensivo dei dotti lacrimali. Confido in ulteriori seguiti, così da coprire anche i restanti episodi del manga di Motorô Mase.
½ September 14, 2009

½ September 2, 2009
what kind of country who creates a law that kills their countrymen..
laughable=
this is what happen when humans want to be like their Creator..
August 9, 2009
Cruel and brillant idea for a well-filmed drama. Some screenplay elements and ending are a bit disappointing, but it remains a really involving movie.
August 3, 2009
Reprends différentes histoires du manga en les mélangeant de manière cohérente. Une excellente adaptations de ce manga qui ne laisse certainement pas indifférent.
½ July 27, 2009
genre drama, hope there is sequel