I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead Reviews

January 5, 2016
It looks good for a noir, has the right brooding tone, and some pretty good performances from some quality actors, however, the incident that drives the plot, that sets everything in motion, just left me feeling unfulfilled, it also could have used a lot more malcolm mcdowell, he's one of my favorite actors, and we def needed way more of him, i think given the cast and director there was potential, but just needed a better story
July 29, 2015
I'm a fan of revenge flicks and this is a good one with a tour da force performance by Owens.
February 6, 2015
After the eventually success of Croupier (1998), when it finally found it's audience. Director Mike Hodges and star Clive Owen reunited for this dark and brooding thriller, written by British TV writer Trevor Preston (The Tyrant King, The Sweeney and Fox). It harks back to the themes and motives of revenge and family that Hodges had explored in Get Carter (1971), but it's nowhere near as good. Will Graham (Owen) was once a powerful gangster, but he's turned his back on all of that, and he lives in a van in the middle of a forest. However, when he hears that his brother Davey Graham (Jonathan Rhys-Meyers) has committed suicide. He comes home, but what Will doesn't know is that Davey was abused at the hands of psychotic car dealer Boad (Malcolm McDowell), Will plans a very elaborate revenge. He gets his old friend Mickster (Jamie Forman) to help find out the best way to find who drove Davey to suicide. Will's reappearance causes local crime lord Frank Turner (Ken Stott) to try and put a stop to Will's crusade for vengeance. It's a good film, but it could have been a lot better and a lot of themes on display here have been done elsewhere and done better as well, which is a shame considering the brilliant cast that Hodges has put together for this film. It just feels like he's playing it a bit too safe and he should be taking bigger risks.
June 7, 2014
When his brother commits suicide, one time London gangster Will Graham determines to find out why. This leads him on a vengeful path as he begins to slip back into a world he had thought he had turned his back on for good. This dark, bleak film from director Mike Hodges boasts a really strong cast which includes Clive Owen, Charlotte Rampling and Malcolm McDowell. The gritty, urban setting and characterisation feels true to life and the sparse script is good. There are, however, problems with the plot that leaves just a bit too much left unresolved and unexplained. What we end up with feels cold and unemotional when in actual fact, this is, at heart, a film about emotion, loyalty and relationships. A shame as this could have been a taught and interesting thriller.
June 4, 2014
Extremely underrated.
May 3, 2014
This could be a good and beautiful film but unfortunally the storys of the characters aren't analyzed and that means that we don't know thier motivations , therefore it became a simple and predictable movie but realized stylistically well.
January 2, 2014
Good film, solid actors
December 26, 2013
Background noise; I never paid much attention to the film.
½ September 18, 2013
Muddled revenge flick that was confusing and poorly paced, yet a good performance from Clive Owen almost makes it worth it, but man was I confused when Malcolm McDowell's character starts raping Jonathan Rhys Meyers character out of no where, and yeah, you read that right, ugh, nasty stuff.
½ April 16, 2013
Started well, intriguing, dark, made me watch to find out what and why things had happened. But it finished badly , unbelievably. Rampling was wooden, the ending was so off that I wondered what had occurred that the Director terminated the movie too soon. Owen was his usual self. Disappointing
½ March 29, 2013
What kills me is not knowing his past. What made him leave London, how ruthless was back then and afterwards what he makes of his life. These things would make this a damn good series.
½ February 22, 2013
Slow action .... Man become tired of watching ....
½ February 21, 2013
Extremely forgettable.
February 15, 2013
Clive and Johnathan Rhys Meyer in one film! Hells Yeah!
February 5, 2013
Weird and anti-climactic!
January 22, 2013
England decided to make their own "Get Carter" remake, this one purely character driven. Yet, not a bit of energy nor definitive conclusion. Clive Owen's good and creepy though.
December 24, 2012
I think the main problem with this film is that it establishes it's self to be somewhat of an epic revenge film when really it's a drama film.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
October 24, 2012
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers being raped by Malcolm McDowell is probably the highlight of the film. After that it's just another rather ordinary English gangster film. Cliver Owen was disappointing.
June 24, 2012
Oh my days. With the cast that is involved here, you'd at least think the movie would be watchable. Sadly, no. Restrained, show-don't-tell storytelling at its poorest execution. They decided to tell things anyway, albeit the wrong things, the stupid things. What they refrained from sharing were motivations, relationships between characters, and other things that are generally important for coherence. Add to that some laughable moments and gross mistreatment of sexual violence within the plot and we have ourselves a POS of a film.