The Illusionist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist Reviews

½ March 14, 2016
Resembling work of Shakespeare through its combination of love, tragedy and mystery, 'The Illusionist' is unexpectedly engrossing right until the very end where it finally reveals the trick which has been hiding up its sleeve. I guessed it but clever nevertheless.
½ January 31, 2016
Kerrankin elokuva joka pyörii hyvin tarinan ympärillä - eikä puitteissakaan ollut mitään vikaa: 1900-luvun alun Wien ja kaikki ihanat puvut! Edvard Norton ei ole mikään meikäläisen suosikki, mutta menetteli tässä. Jessica Biel taas oli aivan suloinen! Sinänsä harmi, että loppuratkaisu oli vähän turhan ennalta-arvattava, vaikka hetken menin itsekin hämyyn. Taikuudestahan tässä on kyse.

P.S. Kiva että Teemu Selänne oli saanut roolin kruununprinssinä :D
½ January 27, 2016
Edward Norton serves up some magic in a clever thriller with an interesting twist. (First and only viewing - 5/25/2015)
January 14, 2016
HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD

Ed Norton's awesome. Seriously. Go watch Fight Club, or American History X to see what I'm talking about. He puts in another good performance here.

When watching this movie I couldn't help but compare it to the Prestige. It's a lot less stylish than its magical rival, and a lot less believable; not just in the tricks on show but in the motivations of some characters.

In The Prestige, there is genuine desperation on show; both magicians are devoting their lives to discovering how each others' tricks are achieved. In this, Paul Giamatti's investigator is the one assigned to uncover Eisenheim's secrets, but you can't tell he reeally wants to know, and the fact that the magic tricks are more preposterous than those seen in The Prestige, makes you wonder if it's even worth investigating.

The aim of the illusion is to make us believe something that shouldn't necessarily be believed. This film is an illusion in itself, crafting a mystery that we're not entirely aware is there in the first place. We get swerved, big style. It's not a shocking swerve by any means, but is a testament to the film and its themes.

The film is by no means a complete success but for the majority of it, say two thirds, it is a compelling tale. Eisenheim discovers that great power comes with a target on your back. The Prince discovers that with great power comes the vulnerability of theft. What follows is a battle for Jessica Biel, and we see how each man exercises their power, and who one ups the other. Frankly, if it's a battle for Jessica Biel, I'll quite gladly join in. I don't have a power, but I can probably muster up a DDT or two...

HERE BEGINNETH THE SPOILER:

There is one thing I didn't quite understand though...to anyone who has seen it:

Biel's character isn't actually dead, but Eisenheim lets everyone believe she was murdered, forcing the Prince (the accused) to shoot himself. Bit too far? Did Norton's character really need to let it lead to a suicide? This part kinda confuses me but if it is how I see it, then Eisenheim and his motivations suddenly seem a lot more sadistic.
January 12, 2016
Solid acting by Norton and Giamatti and a well-crafted story.
December 23, 2015
Great twist ending compensated for the boring initial 90 minutes.
8/10
½ December 20, 2015
"The Illusionist" functions the way a good mystery plot should by having twists and surprises in all the right places while in support from strong performances from Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, and Jessica Biel.
September 16, 2015
Anything Giamatti does is worth a watch and he really shines through in this supernatural thriller.
½ September 14, 2015
Crown Prince Leopold abuses the power of his royal position to prosecute intrigue against the emperor & using a Dutches who's secret girlfriend to a renowned illusionist with the privilage of his patriarchy to accumulate even more empire to add to his status. Still left it to the audience to put some of the pieces together as to how her aparent demise was finally resolved.
September 8, 2015
The movie does to the viewer that which the illusionist does to his in movie audience. The illusionist at no point tells his in movie viewers that he is a magician rather he presents questions reality and possibility that then allows the in movie audience to presume and make there own conclusions. The illusionist also transfixes his in movie audience with his character and charisma. In the same way the movie gives the viewer all the elements of the mystery but then suspends the viewers beliefs and allows us to make our own presumptions. In the end we see that we too like the in film audience have been fooled by our own presumptions, and that we have been entertained by the characters in the film rather than the mystery itself.
August 24, 2015
I was so mesmerized by this one!
August 15, 2015
I watched this movie because I hoped it would be an improvement over the similarly-themed "The Prestige". But it was just the same ol', same ol'.
July 24, 2015
Very good, very thrilling. Edward Norton at his best
½ June 13, 2015
If only the leading actress were not Jessica Biel, this movie would have been more perfect.
June 6, 2015
Pretty good on its own, but for comparison's sake, The Prestige is still better. More complicated plot and more disturbing.
June 6, 2015
Giamatti has touched new dimensions in his acting. Totally loved the concept and story that engages you and grabs your attention suddenly.
½ May 29, 2015
A good movie that should've gotten more attention than it did. Paul Giamatti did a great job, as always. Edward Norton did really well, too...Jessica Biel did alright too. The concept is original, however, many questions are left unanswered at the end. A predictable ending, but a good one nonetheless.
½ May 25, 2015
A little too stuffy and slow . C
½ May 23, 2015
A blend between some art-house sensibilities and the mainstream approach, "The Illusionist" actually gets the best from both worlds. On one hand, it is visually appealing, the color palette is very inspired, the acting is great, on the other hand, the film's narrative part is not at all neglected with Neil Burger delivering the story in a way that is skillful and captivating
½ May 10, 2015
Really interesting and has you hooked from the beginning