I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Saibogujiman kwenchana) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Saibogujiman kwenchana) Reviews

August 30, 2016
Not as good as I anticipated - I felt it could have been a whole lot more. Instead it is incoherent at times and just plain dull at others.
½ May 28, 2016
Original, but really not a fan.
The asylum setting is tedious and I hate the cyborg stuff.
October 25, 2015
Espectacular de principio a fin. Recomendadísima!
Robert B.
October 2, 2015
I'm a Cyborg, but That's Ok is a very playful and imaginative film. It is reminiscent of Amelie, though it is also a little bit dark at times (but that's OK!) The film has a message but communicates it more through character actions and symbols than in words; it is more lyrical than poetical. The aura and energy of the film and the actors definitely make this a pick for twenty-somethings. I find myself rating it up a bit because it does something different and has got some heart.
½ July 13, 2015
A witty film with a beautiful plot and good performances.
½ June 10, 2015
This is different from Park's usual stuff and it's more like a Michel Gondry bittersweet comedy about life in a mental asylum. Both actors are good (singer Rain delivers a good performance) and the story is quite moving, but don't look here for Park usual steamy sex scenes... go for Thirst instead.
April 14, 2015
Young-goon is mentally ill, who imagines herself as a combat cyborg. Her problems are: first, she doesn't want to eat and thinks she needs electricity to be charged; second, she wants to send denture to her grandma, who has already been sent to a mental hospital for thinking she is a rats and eating radish only; third, she needs to figure out what her grandma wants to tell her about the ultimate meaning of living. After she fails to charge herself, Young-goon is also sent to a mental hospital, where she meets a bunch of wardmates with different symptoms but equally powerful imagination. Il-sun is one of them with schizophrenia and kleptomania. believing he can steal everything in the world. Il-sun is to help Young-goon solve her problems and meanwhile pacify his own inner wounds.

This story is generally about how the two schizophrenic patients comfort each other and fall in love. Crazy!

Chan-Wook Park is the director with his unique style in film language. His works are very recognizable and always with great fun (to some extent, as those of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Wes Anderson). I like Chan-Wook Park's works for their beautiful appearance-jumping cut, flexible camera, bright colors and interesting soundtrack- rather than the story itself. Olyboy, Stoker and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are all about cruel revenge and are a little too bloody for me. Besides, for me. it's difficult to get why those stories develop and end in a certain crazy way, maybe because I'm just not as crazy as those characters in the stories.

But I really enjoy "I'm a Cyborg. But That's OK". Yes, it's still crazy. But who cares how crazy it is, since all the characters live in a mental hospital. We cannot understand their imagination world. Just enjoy! There is no much bloody in this film. Happiness and cruelty are very well balanced.
April 6, 2015
Park Chan-Wook's incredibly strange romantic art-house film narrates the romance and carnage that follows when a woman who fantasises that she is a cyborg meets a paranoid man in a mental institution who believes that he is steadily transforming into a single dot. Seriously. Whilst the film is kooky and kind of sweet in an eighty foot teddy bear kind of way, the film renders its audience completely oblivious to its message of humanity over conformity and the humanistic fear of helplessness, all because its far too colourful and its ridiculous plot completely overshadows its subplot; unfortunately what's implied is ignored for what is seen.
½ January 21, 2015
Great movie. The plot line was really solid. It's an amazing indie romantic comedy that is not like any others.
November 2, 2014
Great Film. A perfect description of a logical insanity. The first thing you should learn from any situation is figure out the problem... and work from there.
September 26, 2014
Uma moça que acredita que é uma ciborgue encontra-se com um homem que acredita ser um super-herói num hospício pra lá de gente esquisita.
September 21, 2014
Every single character is amazing. Funny and GAAaaahhhHH <3 Creative storytelling, BEAUTIFUL visually, with great precision and detail. .
June 24, 2014
A good film, but it was too long for me. But, completely unique.
May 16, 2014
One of the strangest films I've seen. A little too cuckoo to keep my interest, although the scene where the girl finally eats is a good scene; the rest is just so scattershot crazy I couldn't get invested.
March 29, 2014
Reminiscent of Amelia, but if that film was "quirky" this was clinically insane.

I can appreciate that Chan Wook Park is a good Director with his own visual flair. I wouldn't mind seeing some of his other work but I honestly can't say I enjoyed this one.

I guess movies about crazy people just isn't my thing.
January 23, 2014
a Strange but Cute love story
January 3, 2014
A la fecha, no he visto película mala de Chan Wook Park.
½ January 2, 2014
One flew over the cuckoo's nest it ain't. As much as I admire Park's vision as a director, I don't understand the appeal of this movie, at all. Maybe the weirdest movie I've seen (in a bad, incoherent, but that's the point dummy because this is a movie about mental illness sort of way).
December 17, 2013
Park may have dealt with a love comedy here but it's still as weird as his other films. There's no solid plot in the movie, leaving you clueless on what the movie is really about, is it just a love story or a sci-fi? Whatever it is, it's an entertaining film. The love story is quite interesting as no one has ever thought of this, love inside a mental asylum. It's touching as the boy does everything for the girl, even believes the insanity of the girl being an cyborg. If you're looking for something fresh and weird, this film is highly recommended.
December 8, 2013
After seeing Oldboy, I made it a mission to see everything that Chan-Wook Park touches. I have seen all of his films, and this is by far my favorite. As someone who works in the Mental Health field, I rarely see any film structure insanity so cleverly, and in a love story too? It is charming and I encourage everyone to watch it.