I'm All Right Jack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm All Right Jack Reviews

½ April 29, 2014
Produced and directed by John and Roy Boulting (Brighton Rock (1947), The Family Way (1966) and Twisted Nerve (1968), and based on the novel Private Life by Alan Hackney, who also wrote the screenplay with the Boultings. This is a sequel to Private's Progress (1956), which the Boultings directed and it shared a lot of the same cast. This is a very funny film with some very observant jokes. Undergraduate Stanley Windrush (Ian Carmichael) has left the army, and is looking to find employment, but he always struggles at the interview stage. However, Stanley's uncle Bertram Tracepurcel (Dennis Price) helps him get employment at the missile factory he owns, and Stanley's bumbling actions grab the attention of personnel manager personnel manager Major Hitchcock (Terry-Thomas), but it's communist steward and union leader Fred Kite (Peter Sellers) who is most interested in Stanley. After Hitchcock sneakily employs time and motion man Waters (John Le Mesurier) to study Stanley working fast. It causes a small strike which becomes nationwide. It's a good little comedy, although you can't believe it gets away with a lot of things that seemed innocent and everyday back then, like attitudes to foreigners and union activities. But it also makes use of nudist camp gags and even vomiting jokes, which seem commonplace now. However, this is worth it for the brilliant cast.
½ February 15, 2014
Good old British satirical social comedy poking some fun at industrial labour/management, unions, and employment class. Clever and amusing. I did have a harder time connecting with it as I grew up in an entirely different era (like half a century). Nonetheless, I still enjoyed it , and recognize it's greatness. 7.5/10
½ February 9, 2014
Ian Carmichael is fitfully hammy but this is one clever satire and great British standbys like Terry-Thomas, John Le Mesurier, and others keep it rolling. This film is perhaps best known for Peter Sellers' understated performance as the head of the workers union. It's a well-made, cuttingly funny examination of corruption at every level.
½ December 16, 2013
I'm All Right Jack is an enjoyable film. It is about a naive aristocrat in search of a career becomes caught up in the struggles between his profit-minded uncle and an aggressive labour union. Peter Sellers and Ian Carmichael give wonderful performances. The screenplay is well written. John Boulting did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and comedy. I'm All Right Jack is a must see.
½ August 20, 2013
Mid-20th century British comedy at its best and with a fantastic cast including Peter Sellers who creates another memorable character but Ian Carmichael plays his 'innocence' lead just as well.
May 28, 2013
Fine Brit comedy with a top notch cast. A hopeless idiot is employed in a factory where it is hoped by the board that he cause a walkout so they can make the most of a financial deal.
March 14, 2013
Margaret Rutherford,Peter Sellers ,Terry-Thomas, Dennis Price, Dennis Price and Michael ward, with a cast like this you couldn't go wrong, great classic stough.
August 26, 2012
A solid and surprisingly timeless take on unions and the struggle between management and workers, "I'm All Right Jack" is funny enough and very meaningful. Peter Sellers steals the show as always.
June 25, 2012
Outstanding comedy mocking the British societal constructs and socialism. Absolutely hilarious.
May 1, 2012
A masterful black comedy of worker/management relations!!
January 14, 2012
Outstanding British satire--where everyone is society gets lambasted. Very ironic comedy. Sellers is hilarious.
½ October 28, 2011
You could almost call this film a spoof of others which had not even been made at this point, like Norma-Rae and Made in Dagenham. It's best point is the cast. Terry Thomas is splendid, even if almost every one of his sentances contained the words "Shower" (said with one syllable) and "stink", and Peter Sellars, who must have travelled back in time to make this considering he looks the same age as Thomas, and the same age as he does in all of his other (much later) films. I would rate this as one of Sellars' best performances.
½ February 10, 2011
For me, this is the best film of all time. A superb cast of the UK's finest character actors and an A1 script.

Peter Sellers was truly magnificent as the left wing union shop steward and Terry Thomas excelled in playing the two faced Personnel Manager. Among his classic comments are "The Management have behaved like absolute stinkers" when talking to the union and " They are a complete shower" when talking to Management about the unions. Another fine comment is when on being told that some bigwigs are visiting the factory, Terry Thomas replies "You better spruce the place up a bit, you know soap in the toilets, that sort of thing".

I must have seen this film at least 20 times and I never grow tired of it. Great story, fine comedy and great acting. Never has a film handled the issue of industrial relations in such an amusing and pertinent manner.
½ January 18, 2011
Sharp but somewhat dated satire about unions, strikes and industry in 1950s Britain. The opening scene in the candy factory is a riot -- I wish the rest of the film were as funny. Favorite little details: Peter Sellers' purposeful walk and patsy Ian Carmichael's steady stream of "terribly sorry"/"frightfully sorry" apologies.
January 17, 2011
Slow building, but hysterical drama regarding industrial relations, unions and international trade. While Ian Carmichael is the lead, the supporting cast of Peter Sellers, Terry Thomas, Richard Attenborough and Margaret Rutherford really steal the show. Made in England in 1959, it's interesting to note the racial terminology which would be offensive today and the strong poke taken toward the union workers who are portrayed as lazy slobs that are bilking the companies.
October 3, 2010
haha!
slow start but once it got into the swing of things, haha!
½ April 22, 2010
great film! peter sellers is really funny in it
February 13, 2010
A much funnier film than I remember it being. Class (about class).
December 18, 2009
This comedy is bursting at the seams with British stars and makes fun in equal shares of those on all sides of industry - workers, managers and entrepreneurs. It showed how much the country has changed in 50 years, but I guess that in the idea "I'm all right Jack" some things never change!
½ November 13, 2009
Not so much funny, but definitely interesting in its portrayal of unionized workers and their management in the late 50's. We still think to this day that unionized workers are bit on the slack side; and this movie does nothing to change our mind as workers strike because of a 'breach of contract' with management. Really, its just a reaction because it was proven a normal, unskilled worker with just days of experience proved he could do double/triple the work in half the time. And he wasn't even trying.

Never seen Terry-Thomas before; notable to me since the Marvel Captain Britain villain James Jaspers is based off of him...hmmmmmmm