I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can Reviews

September 16, 2016
I take aspirin too. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, 2 in the evening, and 2 before bed, EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK.
½ November 18, 2014
This film's star turns are JC & GP - and Nicol Williamson - as a film, unfortunately, it becomes a necessary fast forward through the book - read the book.
½ June 8, 2011
TV producer Barbara Gordon finds out you can't quit Benzodiazepiness cold turkey.
March 28, 2010
Good performance by Clayburgh makes this a decent movie.
½ March 7, 2010
I like this film, it made me feel quite sane
½ April 28, 2009
I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can (dir. Jack Hofsiss, 1982)

At times, unintentionally hilarious while at some points, deeply and profoundly sick, I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can takes a fairly conventional Lifetime movie plot of "drugs are bad" and stretches it into a full-length feature, sacrificing several fine actors in the process. Among those in the field of carnage are Geraldine Page who manages what she can with a somewhat compelling dying poetess, the subject of the main character documentary maker's current piece and a young Dianne Wiest who almost seems to be acting in a different film as her psychiatrist in a mental ward later on in the film.

Jill Clayburgh turns in an uneven, showboaty portrayal which, at the time, she must've thought would earn her an Academy Award nomination (her flapping and flailing on the beach during a seizure was a particular high point). Barbara Gordon has few layers and Clayburgh's performance doesn't manange to fill in the gaps in the script when it comes to answering the questions of who this woman is and why she has descended into madness. And it's based on a true story! And it's based on a true story! A 1979 autobiography, to be precise. It's not like there was no available research on what drove this woman to a life of drug addiction.

It's the creepy (perhaps, accidentally vile) performance of Scottish actor Nichol Williamson as Clayburgh's alcoholic, manipulative and psychotic boyfriend at the black heart of this spectacle. He decides that his girlfriend's withdrawal from Valium is the perfect time to began beating the shit out of her in addition to keeping her imprisoned in her own home. Truly some of the most disturbing scenes of domestic violence I've ever encountered on film. Only for the strongest of constitutions.
December 30, 2008
Producer Barbara Gordon's horrifying experience with Valium withdrawal.
August 15, 2008
The acting from Clayburgh and Page is top-flight, as ever, however, Nicol Williamson comes across as stilted and hammy. The plot, concerning Barbara Gordon's [not Batgirl, mind you] real-life plight on getting hooked on valium and then beating her addiction is scary and brutal, however here it is treated banally andthe results are mind-boggingly soapy and over-the-top... however, as a chance to see Clayburgh in her prime, this is as good as it gets, even though "An Unmarried Woman" is much, much better.
½ February 16, 2008
Not bad, but not great.
August 20, 2007
Ah ha ha ha! My boyfriend's best friends bought this for him! It looks terrible
August 8, 2007
Not as much fun as Valley of the Dolls.
June 5, 2007
Not seen this yet, but love to watch it.
February 7, 2007
very up to speed dancing
½ December 10, 2006
Waste of TIME!! Very Weak movie, DO NOT WATCH, if you do end up watching it, side effects may include: Suicide, murder ramapages, road ramapage, any kinds of ways of harming yourself, and many others...
½ March 23, 2006
[size=2]I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews.

[b]Gregory's Girl[/b], directed by Bill Forsyth, is a sweet little coming-of-age story.

[b]Brewster's Millions[/b], directed by Walter Hill, is a rather unfunny comedy about a man who inherits millions of dollars. Stars John Candy and Richard Pryor.

[b]Children of the Corn[/b], directed by Fritz Kiersch, was just one of the many unmemorable horro films released in the 80's.

[b]Harry & Son[/b], directed by and starring Paul Newman, is a family drama about a middle-aged blue collar father (Newman) and his teenaged son (Robby Benson). Anybody remember Robby Benson? Or this film? I didn't think so!

[b]I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can.[/b] Jill Clayburgh is addicted to valium and tries to go cold turkey. Not the most memorable drug film I've ever seen.