Imaginary Crimes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Imaginary Crimes Reviews

November 17, 2010
A film about life crisis. Harvey Keitel was good, but the story doesn't grip.
½ June 14, 2010
Monday, June 14, 2010

(1994) Imaginary Crimes
DRAMA

This is one of those films that if you actually read the reviews can deter to see this film since this film has no memorable stars, the plotline has really been done before on other films and the actors are virtually unbeknownist or unpopular to the mainstream crowd! Decided to watch this film because I was totally oblivious about what it's about except that I knew it was a drama and that Roger Ebert as well as other notable critcs gave it a thumbs up! Just like you can't judge a book by it's cover and with the right mood, I decided to check it out! And I have to say that it's quite well done since the story is narrated by the central character Sonya- a teenager's point of view, and it happens to involve Ray Weiler (Harvey Keital) since he's her father! As the story progresses it tends to reveal itself each time without picturing somebody as being the bad guy! There is also some similarities between this film and "Benjamin Button" except this one actually has a credible story which I can relate to with characters that still exist in real life such as tele- marketers, some who may also have families of their own like the title character Harvey Keital has portrayed in this film and is still happening as we speak!

Based on a book by Sheila Ballantyne!

3.5 out of 4
November 22, 2009
September 27, 2009
I absolutely hate Fairuza Balk. She alone is the reason why I will never see this.
½ April 20, 2009
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, this teenage girl coming-of-age story boasts some fine performances, but is somewhat weakened by an overly familiar plot.
November 12, 2008
I love this one.One of my all time faves
½ December 5, 2007
ANTHONY DRAZAN MAY HAVE HAD HIS UPS AND DOWNS AS A DIRECTOR, BUT HE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE RIGHTEOUS AS HE IS IN "IMAGINARY CRIMES." HARVEY KEITEL FINALLY PORTRAYS A CHARACTER THAT DOESN'T CONSIST OF HIS USUAL "TOUGH GUY" IMAGE. RATHER, HIS CHARACTER INVOLVES MORE OF A NURTURING AND A SOMEWHAT VISIONARY FOR THE SAKE OF HIS TWO DAUGHTERS. THE INTERESTING THING ABOUT THIS STORYLINE IS THAT IT ACTUALLY INVOLVES A MALE DOING A WHAT WOULD BE A FEMALE ROLE HAD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ANOTHER MOVIE. SURE THE STORY SEEMS RATHER ORIGINAL, BUT WHO THE CHARACTERS ARE AND HOW THEY DEVELOP AND PROGRESS TOWARD THE END MAKES THIS MOVIE WORTH SEEING. FAIRUZA BALK HAS NEVER GIVEN A BETTER SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE AND VINCENT D'ONOFRIO WHO WE REMEMBER AS PRIVATE PILE FROM "FULL METAL JACKET" IS PERFECTLY CASTED AS THE SUPPORTING SCHOOLTEACHER. AT FIRST I WOULD HAVE GIVEN IT A MILD RECOMMENDATION, BUT AFTER SEEING IT THROUGHOUT ITS COURSE, ITS DEFINITELY WORTH SEEING.
November 16, 2007
What can I say? I'm a Daddy's Girl, and this touched me.
½ September 20, 2007
good story. not really a fan of hk. one mans struugle to keep sane and keep his kids happy dispite lies and being broke. the kids made this film work though
½ September 19, 2007
Quite the cast in this film...
Harvey Keitel is a criminal man having to bring up his two daughters on his own. The mother has died of cancer.
Story is told by the oldest daughter, and it makes for a different view on the whole situation. Fairuze Balk is the older sister that has not really been allowed to be a child. She is the witness to many of her fathers scams, and at the same time she has been the one having to make sure that her little sister has something as close to a normal childhood as possible.
½ September 15, 2007
One of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. Harvey Keitel and Fairuza Balk are amazing though.
May 23, 2007
Sad story of a young woman's life with her wheeler-dealer father always chasing imaginary dreams. Excellent supporting role by Vincent D'onofrio as a caring teacher.
½ May 21, 2007
just happened to catch this one on tv the other day,really enjoyed it ,has a great cast to top performance from Harvey Keitel quite a gentle role for him and Fairuza Balk stole the movie,she plays a young teenage girl in the 60's who has to deal with the loss of her mother to cancer whilst trying to raise her younger sister who hasn't spoken since then,Keitel plays the Father figure who has big dreams of making money but unfortunately none of them ever lead anywhere,in desperation he cons his way into making money from scams but they soon catch up with him,worth watching if u come across it.
October 24, 2006
6.5/10. Very nicely produced, some fine period detail. Touching film, very well acted by everyone. Harvey keitel is ideally cast, Fairuza Balk is exceptionally good and kelly Lynch shines in a small but important role. I moves along slow at times, but it is a rewarding film.