Imaginary Heroes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Imaginary Heroes Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
This family drama should have focused more on the emotional impact of the tragedy on the characters, but instead it goes for artificial conflicts and pathetic clichés, suffering also from an excess of information with many unnecessary details added at every moment to create new useless twists.
December 3, 2015
An absolutely fantastic movie. A great story, and a stellar cast that totally draw you in and keep you engaged in the story throughout. This is a truly excellent film. It is a shame that so many movies like this remain unnoticed.
August 1, 2015
A touching and sometimes darkly humorous portrait of a family trying to deal with the death of a child. As often happens in such cases, it almost tears the family apart, since all are attempting to deal with their grief by themselves. What allows this family to finally come together is the revelation of a secret truth, and that there is a great danger of losing the child they still have.
July 29, 2015
A movie in which it's a struggle to stay with and not really worth the effort.
October 27, 2014
How odd that critics rated this so low. It's been one of my favourite dramas for a long time. I love movies about family troubles and problems and this one delivers. I'd compare it to The Ice Storm and Igby goes Down. It has it's humorous points and it's dramatic points. Thoroughly enjoyable.
August 21, 2014
Not exactly the happiest movie, it's a suburban drama along the lines of The Ice Storm or American Beauty combining dark humour with tragedy just not quite as well as those movies did. Still strong performances especially from Sigourney Weaver who gives a penetrating portrait as the mother of this dysfunctional clan as we follow year in the life of her family, left devastated by the suicide of the eldest son, a champion swimmer. Jeff Daniels is, wow, quite an asshole here. Very unlikeable and unredeemed by the end. He shows his pain by verbally striking out at his family. Emile Hirshe is young here but does a fantastic job and I really enjoyed the relationship he had with his mother. A decent movie about a family fighting to hold on and make sense of it all. 8/20/14
October 9, 2013
Not sure how I felt about this movie. Small twist at the end that proves things and people aren't always what they seem.
May 1, 2013
The narrative at the beginning was so irritating. The acting was very impressive(-Emile Hirsch) and it was surprisingly non-American bullshit. Sigourney Weaver, an actress who usually drives me nuts, was very good
½ February 6, 2013
This is a remarkable film and the entire cast delivers heart breaking and honest performances here. Dark family drama with a really great twist at the end. Some may find this drab or slow but it is far from it. A deeply layered film that I got a lot out of.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ October 9, 2012
Despite a sturdy cast, Imaginary Heroes isn't as good as it thinks it is - could have used a little levity to balance out the stories dolefulness...I'd recommend Spencer Susser's 'Hesher' who deals with a similar subject matter in a much more touching way.
June 18, 2012
A well made one! Totally made me feel ! Seriously, what's wrong with people who are reviewing this movie? It's about characters, how they find their heroes in life, how they themselves are one of those in the end ..! What they go through, how it's connected and how things fall apart and get back together by the breaking of ice, years of silence, with the suicide by a family member.
April 8, 2012
Been putting off watching this, and I don't understand why, as there are some really good moments.
April 7, 2012
A surprisingly entertaining film that I am sure no one has heard of. It's worth watching. Its easily Sigourney Weaver's film she owns it from her first scene.
½ April 7, 2012
Full of genuine emotion, powerhouse performances, and tender writing. Dan Harris' film is honest, dark and extremely thought provoking.
March 18, 2012
Not bad but not great either.
March 7, 2012
Cute drama movie that's a great mom & son flick.
February 25, 2012
What a great an intense drama. Beautiful
February 23, 2012
There's not a lot of plot development in this movie, so I can imagine it won't appeal to everyone, but I actually quite enjoyed it. The acting is great, the family dynamic is realistic, and this is overall a really interesting character study. It's very slow moving and not entirely satisfying, but it's good nonetheless.
LWOODS04
½ February 22, 2012
Cast: Sigourney Weaver, Emile Hirsch, Jeff Daniels, Michelle Williams, Kip Pardue, Deirdre O'Connell, Ryan Donowho, Suzanne Santo, Jay Paulson

Director: Dan Harris

Summary: The seemingly stable Travis family crumbles when one of the children kills himself in this wrenching drama about long-buried secrets and lies, and ties that bind too tightly. Soon after the tragedy, patriarch Ben (Jeff Daniels) distances himself from everyone else, intent on coping with his pain alone; his wife, Sandy (Sigrouney Weaver), turns to pot for release and escape; and their restless son, Tim (Emile Hirsch), longs to be elsewhere.

My Thoughts: "Great movie with a great cast delivering great performances. There is a scene near the end of the movie between Jeff Daniels and Emile Hirsch that just blew me away with the strong emotions it generated through the screen. I felt every bit of it. This movie is relatable to anyone who has lost someone close to them, who feels very small in a big world, or who has never fit in. I am sure we have all had those moments. Loved Weaver's and Hirsch's mother and son relationship. Just a good movie about a family fighting to hold on. Struggling to make sense of life and where it's going, and if they will make it to another day."