Imaginary Heroes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Imaginary Heroes Reviews

February 8, 2012
great performance by Weaver and the rest of the cast aswell. very well written story aswell. funny but slow.
½ September 29, 2011
Flegmaattisen oloisia ihmisiä perhe-elämää kuvaavassa elokuvassa.
September 9, 2011
The narrative at the beginning was so irritating. The acting was very impressive(-Emile Hirsch) and it was surprisingly non-American bullshit. Sigourney Weaver, an actress who usually drives me nuts, was very good
August 20, 2011
It has some awkward and creepy interactions, but it's entertaining enough for a slow weeknight.
August 10, 2011
It was a quite slow drama about a family who lost atheletic inteligent sibling and leave them into depression.
July 26, 2011
the beauty of no cable is watching old movies like this
½ June 28, 2011
Such a tough topic, but Sigourney Weaver is the Lifetime movie character actor of real movies. Great acting from all of the cast, but the subject is not a cheerful one.
June 13, 2011
Typical indie that tries way too hard. Excellent performance by Weaver.
May 26, 2011
The acting is superb, and so is the direction and screenplay! It has a powerful message that hits just the right soft spot and makes one cry and also laugh!
½ April 13, 2011
A bit slow at times, but overal very good and very true to life. Great performances here as well.
April 13, 2011
Really enjoyable. Loved Weaver's performance
April 7, 2011
No question Sigourney Weaver is an amazing actress, always infusing her characters with inimitable grace, intelligence and wit. Emile Hirsch is also a great actress and can definitely match her step for step. Seeing the two of them together in Imaginary Heroes has quite a charm all its own, almost enough to make you forget the fact that Imaginary Heroes, from debuting director Dan Harris, is just a carbon copy of Robert Redford's Ordinary People.

Don't believe me? Here's the set-up: Matt (Kip Pardue, whatever happened to him?) is a star high school swimmer and the toast of his family. But then he kills himself, devastating his mother Sandy (Weaver) and his father Ben (Jeff Daniels). His brother Tim (Hirsch) nearly falls apart. Sure, there's more of a boldness to this film when Ben does all he can to cheer up his wife, including offering her plastic surgery, and especially when Tim has a gay encounter with the boy next door (Ryan Donowho). But the movie has no real personality of its own. It just amounts to a cop out.
March 20, 2011
Starts off on a hight note then a sad one, then I forgot what this movie was trying to accomplish. This movie has allot of my favorite actors in place yet I found it to be all over the board. It's about a family who's son has committed suicide and are trying to cope with his departure in all the wrong ways. The mom starts smoking pot, the brother starts smoking pot, the dad goes crazy or just starts acting weird. The movie then has a few funny moments then takes one of the biggest left turns ever as three of our Imaginary Heroes are submitted to a psyche Ward and Tim (Hirsch) finds his classmate whom commits suicide later in the film and we have Tim later beaten down by a group of bullies and then, yeah the comedy aspect is completely thrown out the window at this point and it gets kinda hard to watch, let alone finish at this point. Now this review is coming from the guy whom have Little Miss Sunshine some light in a review and I do have a reason; that is, Sunshine was categorized as a dark comedy like this one but it never really got that deep into the mind set of dark and creepy like 'Imaginary Heroes'. 'Little Miss Sunshine' would get strange and dark at times but it still kept a fair rhythm when
December 10, 2010
Imaginary Heroes is a mess of good actors making melodramatic Oscar ploys.
December 9, 2010
I would give this movie 6 stars just for the casting alone, if that were possible. Any film that has Emile Hirsch in it is going to be among my favorites, but add Sigourney Weaver, Jeff Daniels, and the awe-inspiringly-beautiful Ryan Donowho and it's going to be...well, right where it is, in my top 3 films.
There is no finer young actor, and damned few older, than Emile Hirsch. If you haven't seen 'Into The Wild', you really, really ought to. It takes a once-in-a-generation actor to pull off Emile's performance in that movie.
But as for 'Imaginary Heroes', it too will go into my list of movies I'd want if I were stranded on another planet. The kiss scene with Ryan Donowho alone could burn into my TV and I'd be just fine with that. Their interplay was dead on, and I suppose the fact that they wrote and performed a song together in the film says something about their artistic relationship and talent. I love this film.
½ October 11, 2010
Awesome cast! Great acting! It was really good.
½ October 2, 2010
the twist the twists the twists the twists
September 24, 2010
I didn't love this one. Solid acting, but a weak plot. I've felt like I've seen this one a hundred times. Dysfunctional family, brother committed suicide, adultery and everyone trying to pick up the pieces. Complete indie, but just nothing exciting. Slow movies, whatever.
August 26, 2010
I thought this was an interesting film trying display real life through the story. There were parts of the story in which flow so well you find yourself wanting to stay with the mother and son to if things can ever become normal again. The bruises on Tim are the most interesting mystery of the film and the hints are placed just right through the story. The mystery of the mother and Tim's friend's mom was underplayed and should have been placed more in the forefront of the story. The only thing out place in this film was the awkward new year's scene between Tim and his friend. It was another underplayed point of the film and the scene comes off as it was placed in the film to cause a reaction. When all of the film's mysteries are revealed it just makes their friendship weirder.

Overall, this a film worth watching. Its story telling is a little choppy but the emotions invoked out the final moments are the best parts of the film.
½ August 7, 2010
Great movie. The story and the acting was fantastic.