Imaginary Witness: Hollywood and the Holocaust Reviews

• Oct 29, 2015

This was an amazing documentary. I loved it and enjoy watching it over and over. I seem to always discover moments or scenes I had missed during previous viewings of this film. I truly recommend that you view this work!

• Apr 15, 2014

An interesting take popular censorship. Dependence on movies to bear witness to history including the atrocities of the holocaust means our perspective is always blunted by the filters applied in the making of such.

• Feb 03, 2014

A fantastic look at how Hollywood dealt with Germany, before, during and after WWII. Covers pretty much all the bases and talks with film makers, survivors, and has several great film clips. Well worth a watch and it's on Netflix!

• Jan 02, 2014

I have seen some of the films discussed in this documentary. I suppose I had never really thought about how Americans use film to display historical events. I had always assumed, naively I suppose, that any film about the Holocaust was good because it was reminding people that this happened...so that the chances of it occurring again would be reduced. But now I realize that any depiction of this event in history would automatically be colored by the views of the society who produces it. That changes over time and that society evolves. And in this case, the producers are even further removed from the events, not only by time, but by the American lens....American ideologies and self identities....of those who write and create these films. Powerful and thought provoking.

• Nov 12, 2013

Profound and telling. It's a different and compelling look at the Holocaust and what we, as Americans, know of it An how we depend on our media to inform and enlighten us about things, and in so many ways while the industry may have dropped the ball, they have also brought this story to us in so many ways as only something of such depth and breadty can be done; and they made it a gift to us all, a sense of spirit to carry of those who died and some shred of memory or image to hold.

• Dec 23, 2012

Interesting documentary on how Nazi antisemitism and the holocaust have been portrayed in movies over the years. Pretty interesting.

• Jul 26, 2012

a well informed movie. that really makes you think about the movies you take for granted

• Jul 23, 2012

Narrated by Gene Hackman and labeled with an unusual title I was intrigued. That's where it stops. Imaginary Witness is an overview of films made during and after the second world war that relate or perhaps fabricate and other times misstep fiction from truth. The documentator's goal was simple, seed out Hollywoods censorship, and propraganda. For me all it did was tell me what i already knew and what little Americans still don't know. My grandmother was born and raised in Germany during WW2, her stories alone would have made for a better summerization!

• May 22, 2012

Extraordinarily fascinating. Offers an outside view of how Hollywood and our culture's comfort zone has influenced the portrayal of the Holocaust on film over the years. There has been a very identifiable and distinct evolution, as this film has pointed out. There are many moral dilemmas, even to this day that one faces when they set out to make a film on the subject.

• Jan 15, 2012

I study the role music plays in our lives, so it was interesting to see the ties between Hollywood, the US, and the Holocaust.