Immediate Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Immediate Family Reviews

June 13, 2016
Couple who cannot conceive a child hope to adopt a baby from a pregnant teen. This drama is over the top tearjerking at its best. This could've easily been a Lifetime movie.
February 2, 2016
Love this movie. Simple, raw and real...four great actors are what really pull this film together.
One of my most quoted lines from this movie is, "Only one of us gets be crazy at a time."
April 18, 2015
Overly melodramatic sappy schmolz.
½ November 20, 2014
½ February 13, 2010
Una pareja sin hijos (James Woods y Glenn Close), desean adoptar el hijo de una pareja adolescente (Mary Stuart Masterson y Kevin Dillon). Actores de primera categoria atrapados en un drama tipo "Hallmark" que provoca nauseas no debidas al embarazo sino a lo embarazoso de la trama.
October 19, 2009
omg i freakin love this movie
August 10, 2009
Decent domestic drama. I'm glad Mary Stuart Masterson won the NBR for Supporting Actress because she was really good in this film, as she always is. Glenn Close and James Woods are also very fitting for their roles. The performances are good, but the conflict is pretty bland and doesn't even make itself seen until the last few minutes of the film. Still, the writing for the movie is pretty good, even considering that there's not a lot going on.
May 23, 2009
Equally brilliant and meaningful today in 2009 as the first time I watched in 1989. Realistic portrayals, powerful soundtrack and genuine emotion. While the subject matter has its sad moments, there are appropriately timed smiles and thought provoking silences.
March 31, 2009
I felt as if I was in the movie myself. Lucy seemed fine with a few doubts but her bf worried me. Young couples having children are just not ready and it seems they always change their minds and the adopted parents get hurt the worst when they change their minds. Sometimes it's the money but usually it's after the birth. Had me in tears. Great acting by all.
March 21, 2009
The first time I saw this movie, I loved it. Unfortunately, it has not aged well and Mary Stuart Masterson's mullet really, really distracted me during this latest viewing. Still a good soundtrack and great use of "Into the Mystic" but something just didn't connect with me in 2009 the way it did in the 90's when I first watched it. Not horrible, just not great.
½ November 7, 2008
A lifeless domestic drama that drags its sentimental heels about the childless stagnation of a middle-aged couple. Want an emotional uplift? Attend a PTA meeting instead!
½ July 15, 2008
the delivery scene really moved me to tears
July 7, 2008
Glenn Close, James Woods ? Please. They are
incredible and so believable in this.
½ June 23, 2008
I watched this touching movie today and was absolutely riveted from start to finish. Glenn Close and James Woods play a successful couple who after 11 years of marriage still find themselves unable to have a child. They tire of medical attempts and finally decide to adopt a child. Mary Stuart Masterson and Kevin Dillon play teen parents-to-be who realise they can't raise a kid and decide to give their soon to be born baby up for adoption.

This is an emotionally heart-wrenching movie about the joys and pitfalls of adopting, on both the biological and adoptive parents. All the lead actors have done an amazing job in portraying the emotional fragility that each character goes through in the process. Glenn Close is so subtle yet riveting in her performance as a woman desperately yearning to have a baby and experience motherhood. It is a performance I shall not forget anytime soon. Her husband as played by James Woods is tender and credible in his role. Mary Stuart Masterson conveys all the fears and hopes of an unwed teen mother with a high degree of realism.

All in all, this is a wonderfully poignant family drama that will touch your heart.
½ June 13, 2008
Not a great movie and the acting isn't very good but it does keep you sitting long enough to see what happens.
June 10, 2008
love this movie, the red hair baby is so cute!
June 9, 2008
This is one of my all time favorites! Of course it hits close to home!
½ May 28, 2008
Not a bad movie but not one that I would ever watch again. The story is good and has a good message but it never offers anything that really gets you involved with the story. It is rated PG-13 and though it is a great movie for parents thinking about giving up a baby for adaoption their is some very strong language used including the F word more than once. Other than that it was ok.
May 28, 2008
one of my favs a must see
½ May 21, 2008
This movie is great! It makes me cry tho.