Immortal Beloved - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Immortal Beloved Reviews

November 7, 2016
3 ud af 5 høretragte. Nok den hidtil bedste film om musikkens Einstein. Gary Oldman spiller Beethoven i tilbageblik efter komponistens død, hvor en sekretær forsøger at finde den mystiske kvinde, den gamle døve gnavpot har indsat som arving i sit testamente. Alene lydsporet er det hele værd.
½ June 22, 2016
This biography of Ludwig von Beethoven (played here by Gary Oldman) builds its narrative around an actual letter found after his death, addressed only to the composer's "immortal beloved."
April 22, 2016
I bought this movie in every video format through the years. This is a ridiculously low amalgamated score.
March 23, 2016
It's probably been almost 20 years since I first/last saw IMMORTAL BELOVED on VHS, but it made enough of an impression on me to have remembered it all these years. As a pianist and classical music lover, it should come as no surprise that Beethoven is one of my favorite composers, having written some of the greatest works in the repertoire. Ergo, this film, which combines two of my great interests (history and music), is one of my favorites. By no means is it perfect or, to be honest, historically accurate (the film's central conceit mostly), but it paints an interesting portrait of a tortured artist. The premise behind the film, faulty though it may be, is that Beethoven, upon his death, left his entire estate to an "Immortal Beloved," and Schindler, his secretary, spends the bulk of the film going around to find out who this mysterious person is. Thus, Beethoven's story is told in flashbacks by people who knew him, not unlike the similarly themed AMADEUS (although this film is decidedly less comical). As such, we only get fragmentary glimpses into who Beethoven was a person. However, Gary Oldman makes up for this narrative/structural issue by giving a very humanistic portrayal of someone, who by many accounts, was very difficult to get along with. And by the end of the film, with the central question (sort of) answered, we have reached a deeper understanding of what drove and motivated him, regardless of the historical accuracy of what we have seen. From a technical perspective, Bernard Rose put together a film that is beautiful to behold, with exquisite period detail and cinematography. The score is composed entirely of Beethoven music, and I thought that his more well-known pieces were put to good use in various scenes. In particular, his Pathetique Sonata and Choral Symphony were quite moving in the context of the film. Finally, everyone in the cast gave excellent performances, but especially Gary Oldman, who disappeared into his role like he always does. His vocal delivery did have shades of Count Dracula (at least in terms of register), but it really wasn't too much of an issue. Ultimately, IMMORTAL BELOVED is a sumptuous period drama which, although playing with the facts, provides some keen insights into artistry and the passions that compel us.
½ July 29, 2015
Thanks to Oldman's spectacular performance and the film's captivating screenplay, this Beethoven biopic deems itself a a beautiful film of fantastical proportions.
December 13, 2014
Vastly underrated, beautifully told with the utmost melancholy and a masterful performance by Oldman who completely disappears into the role of the tortured artist.
September 11, 2014
I am not sure why the critics where so harsh towards this film. It is an epic, beautiful, and emotional masterpiece. Gary Oldman gives what I consider to be the performance of a lifetime as Beethoven and all the supporting cast where fantastic as well. The movie is brilliantly set to the music of the great composer , which is fitting considering that his music is like a soundtrack for his life! The movie was shot on location in Europe with period costumes and it completely
transports me to the decadence of that time period.
The movie really shows Beethoven as a tortured soul who could be very rough and abrasive on one hand, but incredibly kind and romantic on the other.Some people think Gary Oldman was miscast in this because the real life Beethoven was not nearly as handsome. My response, who cares?? He embodies the spirit of Beethoven both in his expressions, and his personality. I have read biographies on this composer and Gary totally captured him.
Some cinematic license is taken in this film due to the fact that the Immortal Beloved was never discovered, but it is truly fascinating to speculate about who it could have been. All of the women Beethoven is with in this film are beautiful,strong willed, and passionate, and are all played by amazing actresses, including the flawless Isabella Rossallini.
Gary Oldman has been deserving of an academy award for some time now. He has the remarkable ability to change his body, voice, and personality completely into the character he is playing.Never has he deserved the nomination more than he did for this film.
Overall, this film is a grand, sweeping, and emotionally profound work of art. It is right up there with some of the greatest films ever made. I do not often give perfect scores to films, but there is just not a single flaw in this. It is mesmerizing entertainment from start to finish!
September 8, 2014
Georg Solti and the London Symphony Orchestra provide the backbone for this embroidered yet snarky depiction of Beethoven. It is probably one of the least dated films of the 90's and gets better with repeated viewing. The soundtrack is a real chestnut and I listen to it on a monthly basis. "Ghost" is a high point of the movie and really wows me each time.
March 8, 2014
hiya all, Gary Oldman is so good , I think this is his best performance. The music is unbelievable and Oldman as Beethoven gives such an intense and convincing performance of a tortured and sensitive soul who is totally miss understood , poignant and subtle, but also in your face emotion. An amazing portrayal .
December 27, 2013
The story is rife with speculation, but it is still a very good film. Oldman's performance is terrific.
½ December 11, 2013
Gary Oldman's performance and the music are enough to turn you blind to the so-so plot.
December 1, 2013
"Immortal Beloved" plasma hábilmente el lado más amargo de la vida de Beethoven con la magnífica (o quizas sobreactuada) interpetación de Gary Oldman y el desempeño del resto del elenco.
November 28, 2013
Very accurate indeed, except for the actual plot which is pure speculation. :P
A pretty powerful, poetic film.

you know what's awesome?
this is a romance flick and it's rated R.
i miss the pre-2000s.
November 17, 2013
One of my all-time favorite movies. Gary Oldman at his best! Unbelievable that he prepped this role in 6 weeks
November 2, 2013
Sentimental and overly sweetened. Deplorable.
October 19, 2013
Stunning colors and clarity of the picture give this period film an edge that is stunning. Actors dwell in the depth of history giving a luscious emotion of the love being chased. Sir George conveys the music in sharp assistance to the visual adding to the genius of the man portrayed. Each scene is a treasure that can be absorbed again and again. Nibbles: Rheinischer Doppekuchen.
October 9, 2013
Very interesting (and surprisingly accurate) telling of some elements in Beethoven life. Even if the theory by Bernard Rose (director of cult fave Candyman nevertheless) of who was the immortal beloved in a letter found after his death, is not supported by a single scholar, this is a fine piece of storytelling.

The editing was a bit choppy and it was not as elegantly striking as it could have been, but the acting by Gary Oldman made the difference. It is sad, romantic, powerful and inspiring all at the same time.

Wanted to watch this the moment it came out but got lost in the shuffle. Well worth the wait.
September 18, 2013
Beautiful usage of soundtrack. Lovely setting and costumes. Brilliant performance by Oldman. Although the plot ties up nicely at the end, I was left wondering... What happens to Karl?
September 4, 2013
Gary Oldman: an actor achieving perfection through OVERacting.
There is NO DOUBT, I believe, that Mr. Oldman becomes whatever part he plays.
His movies/roles are more than memorable. Sid Vicious, Vlad the Impaler, LHO, Drexel, the
"crazy,drug addicted cop" in The Professional +!!! But Luie V. Beethoven, WOW!!! Awsome, beautiful performance. I am Moved, everytime I see it!
PS: Could Mr. Oldeman play the piano before this assignment?

Ludwig Van Beethoven, anew, high, in a new manner!!!
August 25, 2013
After Beethoven's death his secretary tries to find the true love of his life